ADOM - Is Coming to Steam: November 16

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The rogue-like ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery) will be released on Steam tomorrow:

ABOUT ADOM

ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery) is one of the most successful roguelike games ever created, boasting a brilliant mix of story, RPG, exploration, and intensely strategic and flexible combat. The Steam version adds various Deluxe features like achievements, difficulty level customization and various play modes (e.g. a story mode allowing to save and restore games, a weekly challenge game, an exploration mode and more). ADOM has been in development since 1994. In 2012 its development was revitalized with an immensely successful crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo, now allowing us to offer ADOM both with ASCII and graphical modes enabling you to choose freely.

ADOM is primarily known for being the first roguelike to include vibrant towns, NPC dialog, and quests, but it offers more than just a rich story line in a complex fantasy world:
  • a huge game world with hundreds of locations such as towns, randomized dungeons, elemental temples, graveyards, ancient ruins, towers and other secrets
  • loads of races (dwarves, drakelings, mist elves, hurthlings, orcs, trolls, ratlings and many others) and even more classes (fighters, elementalists, assassins, chaos knights, duelists and much more) allowing for infinite play styles
  • hundreds of monsters and items, many with enhanced random features
  • a corruption system forcing you to balance lust for power with fear of damnation (corruptions slowly transform you into a vile monster but at the same time grant inhuman benefits - most of the time)
  • spells, prayers, mindcraft, alchemy, crafting and more
  • dozens of quests and branching story lines
  • numerous wildly different endings that might alter reality itself (simply drive Chaos away or slay a god or even become an immortal yourself, and others more)!
  • various game modes (story mode to be able to load and save games, challenge mode to face peculiar weekly challenges, exploration mode for a free wand of wishing and more)
  • various customization options (turning hunger off, turning corruption off, modifying monster difficulty or treasure rates)
[...]
More information.

Cool. Have been playing ADoM on and off since the mid 90's (man that's a long time ago). It's come quite a long way in the last 2 years from pure ASCII experience it used to be. Have tried many rogue likes, always found ADoM to be the one I like the most.

-kaos

Hrm, it has a story mode which allows to load and save. But can anyone tell how much of story you can find in the game? can you actually finish the game?

And playing it without saving: Is there anything which you can pass over to future characters like in Dungeonmans or in the newer versions of the Pit?

While I like permadeath, I only like it if the time per life is limited. Don't enjoy losing 20h of game time because of a high crit or so. On the other hand saving and loading might take all the tension away. So I am not sure the game hits the enjoyable middle ground for me.

I have more experience with older iterations, so things might have changed...

Yes there are various endings you can go for. Story is pretty lite, there is an over arching quest to save the Draklore Chain from the forces of chaos. Whether you choose to do that or become the ultimate chaos god yourself is up to you. Besides that there are a bunch of lesser quests that grant various benefits that you can do along the way.

Dunno about the new version but you used to be able to 'save scum' by copying out the character's svg file. I don't know if there's some other mechanism in the new modes. As with most RL's it can be pretty brutal.

As far as I know there's no way to pass things on from one PC to the next, even finding tombstones like you do in some other RL's.

Lulz, I've only come close a few times and those a long time ago. There are lots of people who could better answer that question but you can win the game in less than 20 hours. Depends on the ending you go for I think. Just remember it's still very much a rouge like. Expect to die a lot and there's many little tricks to learn to get you there.

-kaos

ps - sent you a PM

Fantastic to see this finally rounding the corner to make it on Steam---they've put a ton of work into this and still more to come afterwards.

I remember playing the ASCII version ages ago and liking the graphics. Saying that, Rogue games aren't exactly my cup of tea...and that is despite liking killing stuff and collecting loot.

I don't normally dig roguelikes for reasons of presentation, but this looks quite good. Probably day 1 purchase.

I have 60€ to spare now that I had to send back Risen 3 HD because the game CD was missing. :lol:

ADOM was reasonably story heavy for a roguelike, which isn't necessarily saying much. However, that could be a problem for a game that you were repeating over and over again repeatedly. There were a lot of areas and events that are not randomized, and they could get really repetitive by the 100th playthrough. But it was a great enough game for it's time to keep me playing that long.

Today I'm not so sure if I'd be interested in playing it or not. I'd need to see some major changes from the final version of the game I played so many years ago.

So why not just get the free version instead of the steam version?

Same. Been playing ADoM on and off since about 1996 for free. Time to give something back.

-kaos

I'm not a huge roguelike game fan but I tried out a bunch of them back in the day and this one was by far the best, IMO. I'm definitely going to check it out on steam just to see how far it's come along.

Back
Top Bottom