Vertical mice

Vertical mice.. yuck. A coworker has one that I tried and it was terrible, probably because you are forced to use the whole arm or wrist to move that thing.

Darth's description sounds very much like the way I use my medium-sized mouse: Forearm rests on the table at a ~90° angle, thumb and pinky do most of the little and mid-range movements, with the wrist barely moving at all. Thumb, index and middle finger do the clicking; ring finger unused. This ergonomic thumb/pinky movement just isn't possible when the mouse is too big.

The movement I find most awkward is actually the constant switching from mouse to keyboard and back again. The mouse is too far away from a natural resting position due to the numpad that most regular keyboards have, so the arm rests at an unnatural angle. I'm planning to get a tenkeyless keyboard with separate numpad to ameliorate the issue.

I think wrist rests are helpful, especially if you use a mouse pad, although I only have one for the keyboard at the moment.

Amazon has one for $11 - i think i might give it a try - if it doesn't work well it can be used as a cord to hang up drying laundry or maybe as bait and fish line for some of those larger critters in the bay. Or maybe I could toss it onto the yact elysian that is currently sitting in the harbor.

Once I got use to my trackball I have been happy for 20 years. Takes about a month to get use to it. I would never go back to a mouse.

I rest the trackball on my stomach. Keeps my wrist and elbow tight.

Plus it gave me an advantage in old HoMM3 hotseat games. My friends were not use to it and I would crush their puny armies :)

Back
Top Bottom