Greedfall - E3 2017: First Look

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Dread Central checked out Spider's open world RPG Greedfall at the E3:

E3 2017: First Look At GreedFall Promises a New World of Conflict

I always love getting to cover games made by Spiders. Unfailingly janky and riddled with bugs, I still can’t help but spend days trapped in their narrative webs. I’ve come to describe them as the Cannon Films of massive open-world companion based RPGs: full of heart, a fraction of the budget. The scale of what they manage to create has always been the biggest selling point. Even the relatively constrained Of Orcs and Men painted a picture of a much larger and more interesting world (still crossing my fingers for a sequel). They’ve gotten progressively more bold and expansive with every game, with The Technomancer my 2016 guilty pleasure. If you need a better sense of how I feel, go ahead and read the last paragraph of that review.

Spiders is looking to once again up the ante with GreedFall, a new IP set amidst the struggle of a colonial expansion. Familiarize yourself with the trailer, because it has guns and and monsters and is awesome:

[...]

GreedFall is an ambitious concept, made even more intriguing by the unique setting. On the border between magic and science, the era is one where schools of alchemy and medicine exist side by side. Industry and firearms are quickly pushing back the wilds and superstition, but very real magical monsters lurk just beyond the treeline. With the expansive world, unrestricted exploration, and multiple factions, the people at Spiders promise an experience that can keep you entertained for weeks.

[...]
More information.

What a shitty trailer.

It's just a reveal/teaser, you're not supposed to make a buying decision off of it. I thought it was quite good!

Looks like Spider really liked The Witcher 3 and crossed a Fiend with a Leshy for it's monster.

Last edited:
With the expansive world, unrestricted exploration, and multiple factions, the people at Spiders promise an experience that can keep you entertained for weeks.
After unstoppable respawns in Mars and Technomancer, here's hope those weeks they talk about are not caused by the same design.
In other words, I will not buy the game on it's first day most definetly, and the question if I'll buy it at all remains.

I thought I'd seen this trailer before....Anyway, how the hell could the guy with the gun survive being gored by some huge creature with horns?

@Joxer - I also had trashy respawns, and while I quite enjoyed things about Mars: War Logs, the way everyone reappeared really irritated me. I'm sure they'll have Elder Ancient Demigod bears, just for you ;-)

I quite liked both Mars and TCM, but those trashmobs are the very reason I didn't like them even more.
And I just don't want to play through a game again that has so much potential ruined by outdated design.

They've been improving with each game, so looking forward to this. Still, I think what Spiders lack is their own character ( bit too much Bioware inspired) and some reworking of gameplay mechanics ( something closer to Devil May Cry).

They've been improving with each game, so looking forward to this.
I think that Bound by Flame was weaker than Mars: War Logs. But I agree that Technomancer was their strongest game.

It seems obvious that you either side with colonialists or natives. I wonder if there will be more factions.

What's this at 1:03? Some magic cast by a colonialist?

Looks like it. It's like it cast a "buff" on the musketeers. That trailer makes the game looks a bit like a RTS too.

Seems pretty interesting. Not many rpgs ( or video games) delving into colonization, clash of nature/civilization ( Jade Empire? That was actually the best part)

Expeditions: Conquistador did it as well.

Spiders has never made a solid game, but they improve with every release.

I thought Mars: War Logs was pretty solid. I haven't played The Technomancer yet, but a lot of people seem to think that one is pretty solid as well.

Love the trailer but not sure how the game will play. Definitely something to watch. I like how spider tries new ideas but not so much their actual results. Still this looks like it might have the budget to be fantastic game.

Back
Top Bottom