Pillars of Eternity II - Your Own Ship

Base building and zombie hordes please. NOT.

The question I have though, is how many colors will we get to choose from for the hull? I want pastel shades as well. I also want a dice-roll for a Second Coat skill check. If it succeeds the boat looks better, but a crit fail means an uneven paint job and you have to fist fight the crew who painted it.

This must be in the game for me to enjoy it. :D

Awesome. Gonna up my pledge as they are making all the right noises. PoE1 was definitely my favourite game played last year. Now sitting at Elite collectors edition + DLC + Intl shipping ($239)

Man, that update 16 of pillars 2 - really shows certain minds think alike :) #PaxEast2017

Swen seems to indicate that Divinity: OS 2 will have a sailing ship as well. I'm sure Swens version will be better ;-)

I kind of like the new focus on exploration via ships…
Yes, I know it's been done to death going all the way back to Ultima I, but it does add a new element to PoE gameplay to keep things interesting.
With any luck, the first DLC will add a magic carpet. :)

I understand that people are different and like different things.

I really like what I see and I am supper happy to see that Obsidian is having very successful campaign and that will continue to produce games I like.

That being said, lots of comments here is like: I don't like this feature and therefore this is bad game or something like that. But you forget that there is maybe more people that like what they see. For them the game is great.

And of course, the solution is if you don't like it don't buy it. It is that simple…

I was, for example, playing fo1 and fo2 to death. I like it so much that when FO3 was announced I was so hyped… And for me it was such a disappointment… I tried to play it numerous times but I just didn't like it. But there are literally millions of people that liked it and said it was for them the best game ever.

So to finis my rant… if you don't like it don't play it. It is that simple. Saying something like I hate ship fights in game and therefore this game is bad, or that the quest writing will be bad because of ships in game… fake argument

So to finis my rant… if you don't like it don't play it. It is that simple. Saying something like I hate ship fights in game and therefore this game is bad, or that the quest writing will be bad because of ships in game… fake argument

Your entitled to rant Kuki, god knows I do it sometimes because its healthy to vent your frustrations in a forum with other posters who may or may not share similar feelings. Some might even say that is the purpose of forums so I can't subscribe to wanting them to shut up about what they are feeling. However feel free to pillory and/or make fun of them to your hearts content, within reason of course! ;-)

For the record I am neutral on the ship idea. I think its a good idea, I suggested it to Obsidian on their forums - not that I'm taking credit for it as I doubt they read it.

Obsidians ability to deliver the ship idea satisfactorily is in doubt however given their penchant for not iterating on the games they make. Post-release patching of Pillars just illustrated how Obsidian released their baby prematurely. I doubt Obsidian will delay the game sufficiently if there are serious doubts because they are tied to budgetary realities. Larian will show them up badly and do it much better I believe because they actually use the wisdom of the crowd.

Obsidians ability to deliver the ship idea satisfactorily is in doubt however given their penchant for not iterating on the games they make. Post-release patching of Pillars just illustrated how Obsidian released their baby prematurely. Larian will show them up badly and do it much better I believe but I hope I'm wrong for those that care. (I doubt it).

This... Although I like Obsidian games I am aware of Obsidian shortcomings in technical terms. I hope they will get better in this in the next few years. Now they do not need to be afraid if they will have to close the studio. I think they had so much pressure before that they couldn't cope with technical issues. Nowadays for them it is different situation. They make their own IP games and are funded through the campaigns.

As long as Obsidian guards against feature creep Pillars 2 should be manageable for them but keep in mind some features can take longer than estimated to develop and get feeling right. It really depends on whether or not Obsidian factor in some extra time allowance for cost over-runs. If your star feature takes 4 months instead of 2 you will have a problem unless you have budgeted for probable cost over-runs. How much slack is in the budget in a crowdfunding campaign?

The $3.5 Mio stretch goal for New Ship Upgrades has been hit.

I'm in the pro camp.

I like the added exploration aspect that the overland map will bring. Hopefully they manage to make the random encounters varied and interesting enough. Though I don't need to be able to "dress up" the boat, being able to upgrade it might be nice if it actually has effect.

As for an extra full-fledged companion, eh. I'd rather they use that extra million to spew out more side-kicks and at least double the amount they intend to make.

I really like what I see and I am supper happy to see that Obsidian is having very successful campaign and that will continue to produce games I like.

If you like it then you should buy it. It's that simple…

That being said, lots of comments here is like: I don't like this feature and therefore this is bad game or something like that.

Actually I read all the post before this and no ones said that. Most people seem to like it and the few that don't have said that but I haven't seen anyone say the whole game is bad because it has ships.

And of course, the solution is if you don't like it don't buy it. It is that simple…

Yes, I understand this "solution" and have said I won't buy if ships play too integral of a role in the game.

I have no interest in ship battles upgrading my ship or decorating my ship. What's wrong with that?

From what I've gathered from Obsdians' posts. The upgradeable ship (or ships) is player's main base and it used for transportation between various islands. During these sea voages, player may encounter enemy or friendly ships, treasures, monsters etc.
When an enocunter happens, they use those interactive storytelling slides for these scripted encounters.

A quote from their fig site:

As you probably saw in the video, above, the world map has gotten complete overhaul in terms of form and function. No longer do you have to travel from point to point in a locked fashion (though you can travel directly to locations you've already discovered, if you want). Instead, you can freely explore the map in any direction you want with your ship. You can even disembark and travel by foot on the larger islands. Our design inspiration here comes directly from classic RPGs like Fallout1 & 2; this new approach to the world map makes Pillars II feel bigger, freer, and lets you play how you want. You may discover islands and dungeons not on your map, adventure on your own path for extra treasure, or chart a course towards a distant island.

During your sea travels, you can access the ship at any time to talk to your companions or manage your ship. And through the world map UI, you can travel directly to previously discovered locations. We have a similar feature in the Neketaka City Map UI that allows you to go directly to major interior areas without having to the walk through the exterior district maps manually, which will save you a lot of time.

Encounters

During your adventures around the islands of Deadfire, you may encounter things at sea. These special encounters will be presented as scripted interactions – not only will your ship play a role, but any ship upgrades will impact how these interactions play out, too. We will have both combat and non-combat encounters, many of which will play out in-game depending on the resolution you’ve chosen. For example, you may come upon a hostile pirate ship on the horizon. If you choose to engage, you can fire your cannons in attempt to destroy their ship, or you can try closing the distance to board and fight the crew directly. How effective a cannon shot is will depend on how improved your cannons are, and how likely you are to be able to escape, on your sails. Other examples include finding a derelict vessel, saving a group of stranded sailors on a wreck, meeting a traveling merchant, or fighting a monstrous sea creature. How you deal with these events is up to you.

That all sounds really cool. And since the funding already over $3,7 million, so we'll be hitting those uncharted islands very soon! :)

I'd be excited...if I hadn't played PoE1. The stronghold implementation was just so very weak.

I'd be excited…if I hadn't played PoE1. The stronghold implementation was just so very weak.

It improved considerably with subsequent updates, although it still didn't quite live up to its full potential. Since the ships are much smaller in area, I'm hoping they'll be more richly developed.

That being said, lots of comments here is like: I don't like this feature and therefore this is bad game or something like that. But you forget that there is maybe more people that like what they see. For them the game is great.

I was, for example, playing fo1 and fo2 to death. I like it so much that when FO3 was announced I was so hyped… And for me it was such a disappointment… I tried to play it numerous times but I just didn't like it. But there are literally millions of people that liked it and said it was for them the best game ever.

I wonder what thread have you been reading. No one here said the whole game will be bad because of the ships. Only sakichop said he will not buy the game if ships play integral part of it. Exactly as you suggested.
I too don't like naval battles and pirates, but from what I've seen, the battles aren't going to be naval battles per se, more like standard battles on boats. As for pirates, I'll wait for reviews and discussions to see it they play an integral part or if they are just part of the background.

I like the idea myself as I just consider it another fun mechanism to the game.

…Post-release patching of Pillars just illustrated how Obsidian released their baby prematurely…

Yeah, I've done enough beta testing at retail to last a lifetime.
Knowing that Obsidian games are always released as diamonds in the rough, I just shelve them for a few months while the rest of you enjoy your beta testing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom