Book of Heroes - New Trailer & Comic

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Spring 2020. Looking forward, hope its good.
The Dark Eye background is perfect for deep, party based cRPG.

Sounds and looks good. :)

Though I don't like the top-down perspective in the trailer, and screenshots.

I wished for Drakensanglike and not Baldurlike game.
Must nitpick. :)

I wished for Drakensanglike and not Baldurlike game.
Must nitpick. :)
Sorry but Drakensanglike RPG's don't sell.:p

Let go ask Radon Labs…wait they went bankrupt and closed down.:evilgrin:

How can you sell something if noone knows it exists apart from exotics chasing minority that cherishes the word of mouth more than mass media hype. ;)

Radon Labs wasn't closed down due to bankruptcy but was bought by Bigpoint first, then was closed as Bigpoint is into selling microtransactions rubbish and not actual videogames. IIRC.

Radon Labs wasn't closed down due to bankruptcy but was bought by Bigpoint first, then was closed as Bigpoint is into selling microtransactions rubbish and not actual videogames. IIRC.
Nope the developer filed for bankruptcy first in 2010 and was then bought by browser games publisher Bigpoint. Your correct about Bigpoint and their micro-transactions rubbish though.

I dont care much about perspective itself. But I love tactical combat, based on deep system and overflowing with RPG mechanics. Unfortunately recent years experience shows me that with transition into 3rd or 1st person view, complexity of the system retreats to make space for cinematic dialogues (for example) or more action-oriented experience. So Im glad to see top-down perspective in RPG, party-based game (although in reality it doesnt guarantee anything, of course).

Last edited:
I read about it being procedurally generated and trying to please multiplayer lovers. Not my cup of tea ….

Last edited:
It's interesting that they switched to isometric view. Will it be party based, I wonder?

I read about it beging procedurally generated and trying to please multiplayer lovers. Not my cup oft tea ….

Yeesh, I hope not.

From Steam:

Every created character has their personal agenda, tasks, and missions as well as procedurally generated quests and maps. If you like, you can play in single-player mode and hire a few companions at the Inn of the Wild Boar or you can play with up to four friends in cooperation mode.

If it plays well in solo mode I'm in.

Looks like a nice Baldurs Gate. Good, strong UI! Well done world and everything visual.
Best Drakensang RPGs were the amazing Blackguards 1-2, IMO. High quality production there and both received patches until recently.

If the game basis is procedurally generated and main focus is multiplayer, I will spend my time with other games and will continue to wait for real singleplayer Dark Eye RPG.

As a long time The Dark Eye fan and player I am really yearning for a single player RPG such as drakensang….. but the description "procedurally generated quests and maps" represents IMHO the opposite of carefully crafted quests and story that i am looking for in an RPG….. it sounds more like a Rogue-lite RPG.. so I`m really sceptical

This is an answer from a dev from the steam forum:
"Every character has their own storyline which gives them a goal and each adventure has a story of their own. There's no overarching storyline that's same for every player.

Our procedural generation is tied tighly to the systems in the game and functions as more than just a random environment generator. While it's true that it's hard to match handmade content with procedural generation, we're taking things a bit further and create content according to the characters and their previous actions. It would be impossible to achieve this level of adaptability with handmade levels"

That really has me worried......

From the information available it is nothing like Drakensang. Gamers Global say it is a real-time tactical RPG. Their own site says it is a dungeon crawler with procedural generated content. To me it reads like a rogue-lite and my expectations of its story are quite low from the information available, which doesn't make it an appealing game for me.

Personally I think they made a big mistake with the real time combat for this project. I'll be watching to see what others think about this one upon release, but I doubt that I'll be picking it up. Just not my cuppa.

It is real-time with pause (but only in the singleplayer part). The multiplayer mode is probably going to have pause disabled.

I expressed disappointment with a RTwP Dark Eye game in Realm's Beyond discord. The lead developer told me that the multiplayer mode is a big reason why they decided to make BoH real-time as in his opinion RT works much better for multiplayer games than turn-based.

Unfortunately this game is definitely not for me. Might be nice for someone who wants a RTwP D:OS with more randomization.

Back
Top Bottom