Obsidian Entertainment - Working on Next-Gen RPG

Doesn't really have any bearing on the question at hand since Wasteland 3 was in production long before the Microsoft deal happened.

Sure it does. The deal was announced in November, 2018. Plenty of games have been canceled that have been further along in production than Wasteland 3 was. And Microsoft didn't just tolerate it, they put money into it. Inxile has been able to expand what they were doing with the game because of that deal.

Some of you will never admit it, but there's zero evidence that acquisition by Microsoft means having to make a particular kind of game, FPS or otherwise.

Harebrained put out Battletech expansions.
Double Fine is doing Psychonauts 2.
Inxile is doing Wasteland 3.
Undead Labs is doing State of Decay.
Compulsion did We Happy Few.
Ninja Theory is doing Helblade 2.

In every case, the developer is doing what they already wanted to do/were doing, but with more support.

And I dont believe PoE3 will happen any soon. Maybe in some future desperation, when Microsoft sucks them dry and throws away what remains.
That would be the worst case scenario :'(
Let's hope you're wrong. After all, Obsidian isn't Bioware and Microsoft isn't EA… sort of...

Man, this thread grew fast over 24 hours. People are passionate and opinionated about this topic. I guess I am looking forwards to the next Obsidian product. Never played Outer Worlds, but probably will at some point, with the appropriate mods of course. It is curious that in the general perception Microsoft is less sucking than EA and this reflects a successful business strategy. I myself know I have no insight in this topic but am willing to observe and conjecture about the general consensus.

I remember at the time quite liking Alpha Protocol, once I managed to edit the files to get the game to work, back in 2010. I remember distinctly liking its music sound track at the end and its particular vibe. Currently slowly playing Pillars of Eternity II, particular outcomes barred due to previous choices that were ethical at the time but due to the matrix/ puzzle conditions lead to rather unconscionable outcomes, which is probably what the authors intended. Damn them.

In conclusion, I look forwards to the future products of Obsidian and the subsequent mods that the community supplies for them.

In fact I have a great setting that I made when I was younger I called "Navigator", where the speed of light was only overcome using an almost psionic ability found in some people, called "navigators"… Those navigators had different skills sets to link to electronic systems to create ships driven by these navigators to explore space. But each navigator was different with different abilities to interact with different electronic systems… Life support and bio, and engines / shields, and weapons, and FTL abilities…
It was awesome in that there was great need for interaction between different class navigators for the combat and events to excel. AND there were lots of modalities to interact with!
But the creativity of todays games is either weak, lacking depth, repetitive, or one dimensional.
(end rant… sorry)

Hah, this sounds a lot like Frank Herbert's Navigators in Dune. Which is not to say the idea has a great deal of utility.

Never played Outer Worlds, but probably will at some point, with the appropriate mods of course.

Good luck with that. Unfortunately, it uses the Unreal Engine, and no mod tools have been released. There are visual tweaks, but it needs a lot more than that imo.

In the past they did discuss doing a first-person open world game in the PoE setting. The description doesn't seem to rule that out.

That said, I wasn't impressed by The Outer Worlds. I loved the setting and art direction, but the experience was diluted by terrible itemization and mostly mediocre quest design.

Back
Top Bottom