Grotesque Tactics

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Anyone have this one yet? I just bought this one along with Venetica. I prefer Venetica, but I wanted to see if this one was any good and so far it's not bad. When I bought it I took a look at the back of the box and thought "Oh god it's a freakin Japanes game", but bought it anyways since Cute Knight isn't so bad and I read enough about it here to be intrigued(500 NT price didn't hurt either. That's about 15 dollars).

There is a lot of Japanese influence in the art and narration, but at least it isn't like Final Fantasy in that it makes some sense. It also makes fun of itself. Any game that makes fun of JRPGs that is a plus, imo:D. The tactics part is what I'm interested in anyways and so far it's decent. You have cover you can use to help minimize damage and items you can pick up. There are skills and an "obsession" meter that when maximized releases a special skill. For example, my emo character inspires everyone around him with a Braveheart like speech and the paladin puts everyone to sleep by retelling an old adventure. I only have two party members right now not including myself. One is a scantly clad female archer that would fit right into any JRPG and a paladin called Semidivine who always talks in the third person. Your guy is some emo loser that Semidivine takes it upon "his glorious self" to recruit and train as a commander.

I am wondering about something, if anyone has bought this game yet then could you please tell me what the heck are the "Magic Mushrooms"? They're kinda funny and defiantly a nod to Super Mario Brothers. After you kill one (which makes a Super Mario like sound) you have this icon on the top right of the screen showing a magic mushroom x1. Maybe I need to play it a little longer to find out what that's about, but I wanted to go back to Venetica and thought someone might know. My manual is in Chinese so that's no help. My girlfriend is great at translating everyday stuff for me, but when it comes to game manuals she gets a little frustrated. I prefer to not bother her with that since she can get a little volatile when she gets frustrated.:faq:

Last edited:
Magic Mushrooms -> you will be revived, if you or the divine knight get killed.

If finished the game last week -> nice persiflage on rpgs, with decent old school turn based combat.

Thanks Hidden.

I like the humor and references to other games. I got a chuckle out of Semidivine's reaction to the Nameless One in Gothic never having saved any damsels in distress or Link from Zelda always rescuing the same princess. It's a little silly, but I like that kind of cheese in a game that doesn't take itself too seriously. :)

Back
Top Bottom