CRPG Addict blog

sigh…this thread is embarrassing. I'd expect this if it was posted on a Halo forum or something, but a forum called 'RPGWatch' is bashing him? What the hell, guys?

OK, @haters:

The minimum time to be spent on any game is six hours. He will only stop playing and move on at this point if there are special circumstances, or if the game really sucks and is not worth the time. As many have pointed out, this is a massive undertaking, and it's just not time-efficient to spend 30 hours grinding in a shitty game or a carbon-copy sequel.

About his 'quitting' on Wizardry 3:

- He had just finished The Bard's Tale 1 all the way through. And 6 hours of Wizardry 2. Anyone would be tired of the Wizardry sub-genre at that point.
- Then he started Wizardry 2, which requires you to import a party from a previous game. He didn't know this, and only had one top-level party to work with, who ended up dead. You can't expect him to go back to Wizardry 1, train another top level party, and then go back to play Wizardry 2. As I said before, time efficiency. He has a life outside the internet.
- On this note, he starts Wizardry 3. It's a better situation. However, there's still character importing BS and he's getting understandably tired of 'limited save, permanent death games', so he moves on to Phantasie.
- He already finished Wizardry 1 100% a while ago. And really, Wizardry 1 2 and 3 are all practically the same game anyways, so what does it matter?

I think "hate" is a little strong of a word to be using, tho it's understandable in this day and age it's become common parlance. Would this qualify as some sort of gamer hate crime? Probably only if it was indeed on a Halo forum, then maybe there'd be cause for an investigation.

Right now it's only fellow RPG geeks dissing the guy, so its ok ='.'=

sigh…this thread is embarrassing. I'd expect this if it was posted on a Halo forum or something, but a forum called 'RPGWatch' is bashing him? What the hell, guys?

I don't see too much hate in the thread, just some friendly bashing of a fellow nerd who has a hell of lot more time than most of us.

I don't think it's such a bad idea if you have the time, but forget about finishing the majority of the games. Just play one for awhile and then move on down the list. It would at least be interesting to see how CRPGs evolved over the years and devolved at a certain point in time.

After it was finished he could come back to the more interesting ones out of the list. Some are just more fun to play than others. Like I had a blast with Legacy of the Ancients and hated Phantasia. My neighbor LOVED Phantasia, but I couldn't stand that game.

Well, I thought I'd pop in here and say hello and thank everyone for directing a little bit of traffic to my blog. If I had found this thread earlier, I would have corrected some of the erroneous assumptions about my project, but ultimately it seems it was all straightened out.

I do want to correct one bit of misinformation, though: I don't have any children. I agree that would put a wrench in my CRPG-playing time...maybe. I do most of my playing in the middle of the night, when my wife is asleep. My marriage may very well end in divorce for a whole host of reasons, but CRPGs probably won't be one of them!

Keep up the blog. I check it daily and find the retrospective article very interesting. :)

*Salute* It's always interesting to see a perspective on these old games. I'm looking forward to seeing your reviews of Wizardry 7 and Phantasie 3, two of my favorites from the old days. I may even start again in Phantasie, though it's been years since I've played it.

BTW, I never carried a Mino regularly, solely due to their exorbitant training fees. That one dungeon, I just created a Mino to get me in, and thats it.

Well, I thought I'd pop in here and say hello and thank everyone for directing a little bit of traffic to my blog. If I had found this thread earlier, I would have corrected some of the erroneous assumptions about my project, but ultimately it seems it was all straightened out.

I do want to correct one bit of misinformation, though: I don't have any children. I agree that would put a wrench in my CRPG-playing time…maybe. I do most of my playing in the middle of the night, when my wife is asleep. My marriage may very well end in divorce for a whole host of reasons, but CRPGs probably won't be one of them!

You're welcome.

Are you doing this for traffic on your blog?

You're welcome.

Are you doing this for traffic on your blog?

More traffic on my blog and $6.50 gets me a vodka gimlet, so no, not really. I have a nice group of readers who leave intelligent comments, which is all I need. (Although I admit to a slight thrill when Google Analytics shows me I had a spike on a particular day.

I'm looking forward to seeing your reviews of Wizardry 7 and Phantasie 3, two of my favorites from the old days.

Man, if you're still with me when I get to Wizardry VII, 218 games from now, I will personally fly to wherever you are and buy you a drink. Phantasie III is only 19 games away, though. Personally, I'm looking most forward to Pool of Radiance, Ultima V, and The Magic Candle.

Phantasie III was really cool though. You'll finally go up against Lord Wood and ?Nicodemus? It also had the body shots combat system and it was a pretty cool feature way back then :) I haven't taken the time to visit yet, but I think it's a great idea. Keep it up!

More traffic on my blog and $6.50 gets me a vodka gimlet, so no, not really. I have a nice group of readers who leave intelligent comments, which is all I need. (Although I admit to a slight thrill when Google Analytics shows me I had a spike on a particular day.

I thought so ;)

Well, good luck with your project!

Man, if you're still with me when I get to Wizardry VII, 218 games from now, I will personally fly to wherever you are and buy you a drink. Phantasie III is only 19 games away, though. Personally, I'm looking most forward to Pool of Radiance, Ultima V, and The Magic Candle.

I've visited some of the same sites now going on a decade, so me being around for awhile isn't an issue. Sadly, I don't remember Magic Candle at all anymore, even though I managed to save that one. I lost my copy of Magic Candle III however, which I have vague memories of, never had MCII.

I loved the body shots of Phantasie III, one of the things I've rarely seen in other games. It's one of the things I've swiped for my own project, and actually was part of the almost completed game I lost with a hard drive crash on an old laptop of mine. Still got the master doc for that, maybe I'll try and rebuild it.

I'm finding the reading very interesting in its differences from my own gaming history. I was Commodore only until they died, and only switched to the PC with Dos 6/Win 3.1. Thus, I missed a lot of these titles, and many others only played many years after their proper time. (My first Wizardry was BotCF)
But I am enjoying reading about the games I missed (Ultima I&2) and the ones I remember well (Rings of Zilfin!)

I love this blog. These are games that I would love to replay, but I don't have the time (or the patience).

Keep up the good work, CRPG Addict!

I love this blog. These are games that I would love to replay, but I don't have the time (or the patience).

Keep up the good work, CRPG Addict!

+1

He's playing Starflight right now. One of my favorite games. I played both Ultima 3 and Starflight around the same time and I believe they were the first open world games I ever played. It was amazing to be able to roam wherever you wanted to do whatever you want.

I'm a little amazed at how fast he churns out these games. Even replaying them it takes me a lot longer to finish them mostly because I have to check every single nook and cranny in every game I play. That can get a little tedious at times, but I just can't stop myself :D

I'm a little amazed at how fast he churns out these games. Even replaying them it takes me a lot longer to finish them mostly because I have to check every single nook and cranny in every game I play. That can get a little tedious at times, but I just can't stop myself :D

I agree. If not for the screenshots, I'd never believe he gets through the games so quickly. These are not easy games.

The secret is in sacrificing sleep. I do most of my playing and blogging in the middle of the night, starting anywhere from 20:00 to 23:00 and wrapping up around 02:00. You can accomplish a lot in 3 to 6 hours when there are no other distractions. This investment of time does take its toll, though—on both sleep and backed-up work—and you might notice that for every marathon week like this one, there's a week—sometimes longer—in which I hardly post at all.

Skavenhorde, I'm usually like you, wanting to check out every corner of the game. But if I did that for Starflight, I'd be playing it all fall!

Back
Top Bottom