The TV Series discussion thread

Sports of course. Noone turns off a catfight in mud. :D

They beat the USA 1-0. It doesn't get closer than that. ;)

I believe that is called 'loser logic' :D

The US team seemed bent on reminding everyone that the game with Russia was totally meaningless ... we got it already, you could have shown up to play the rest of the Olympics!

I believe that is called 'loser logic' :D

The US team seemed bent on reminding everyone that the game with Russia was totally meaningless … we got it already, you could have shown up to play the rest of the Olympics!

If I had to guess, I'd say you didn't actually watch the games. :)

Now if you were talking about the Bronze medal game, then yeah, they definitely didn't show up in that one.

You mean the NHL players beat the other NHL players. Way to go Canada.

What are the Olympics anyway? Oh yeah that's right, it's that thing every 4 years that interrupts my real sports and tv shows.

Not really a cop show, but with murders, some sci fi that is very possible and hell the main protagonist pretends to be a police detective. Partially. There was a mass audience protest when they didn't nominate the lead actress for Emmy, I was also a part of it and as others I didn't watch emmies at all. You won't believe how come you didn't watch that show already and how come others didn't mention it. It's Orphan Black and it keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234222/
Orphan Black is great, and not nominating the chick indeed a scandal.

Vurt mentiones some series above…
Sopranos is IMO a stockpile of crap. To see if it's your pair of shoes, do give it a try with a few episodes. Some people love it, some like me get sick of it almost instantly.[…]
True Detective is not even near my "to watch" list - I couldn't stand the show Cheers and will not watch any new TV show with actors from it.
Didn't watch House of Cards (never heard of it, honestly) nor Breaking Bad (that one is on my to watch list as soon as possible) so dunno about those two.
Sopranos is overvalued IMHO. I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it, but it's far from perfect. Certainly worth a shot though.
I only saw a few excerpts from True Detective yet, because I only watch such shows when they are complete. My first impression is very positive though. Beautiful photography, superb actors … and a very slow pace.
House of Cards is superb. Just watch the first two episodes to know if you enjoy Spacey intriguing his polical competition out of the way one after the other.

I agree that Sopranos is overrated. It did some interesting things for its time - but I can't get past how much I despise the main character and how it doesn't really get anywhere for the longest time.

There are little things that people that aren't familiar with hockey may not know about...overtime, shoot-outs, those are nice to see happen as well, they can denote a better game was had. In any case, I quite enjoyed the past two weeks, these Olympics were almost as good as the Vancouver games!

True Detective is really turning out to be enjoyable, in our household. We watch that right after Walking Dead.

House of Cards is superb. Just watch the first two episodes to know if you enjoy Spacey intriguing his polical competition out of the way one after the other.
Spacey?
I did google for it the other day since I didn't know what it is, but it returned a british show without Spacey and it's not cop show so I probably got the wrong result :(
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098825/

The English version of House of Cards is a true gem staring Nigel Hawthorne in the lead role (the one Spacey now plays). The English show is the original that the Spacey version is expanding on.

It's also a lot shorter than the newer US version and you can see the whole 3-parter in the time it takes to watch one US series, and once you've done that you'll realise just how much the long US shows pad out their content to make 4 hours of viewing last 12 hours (see above comments about the Sopranos dragging too much).

The English version of House of Cards is a true gem staring Nigel Hawthorne in the lead role (the one Spacey now plays). The English show is the original that the Spacey version is expanding on.

It's also a lot shorter than the newer US version and you can see the whole 3-parter in the time it takes to watch one US series, and once you've done that you'll realise just how much the long US shows pad out their content to make 4 hours of viewing last 12 hours (see above comments about the Sopranos dragging too much).

Ian Richardson, not Nigel Hawthorne. Very similar actors though.

There were two more mini-series with the same character.

True Detective is really turning out to be enjoyable, in our household. We watch that right after Walking Dead.

I have to choose because they both air at 9:00ET over here. I don't have a DVR, so I've been watching True Detective when it airs and then downloading Walking Dead to watch later. It's ironic that the only 2 shows I'm currently watching happen to be on at the same time on the same night.

Last week's episode of Walking Dead was a lot better than the previous one. I think it's about to get interesting again.

Needless to say, True Detective has been fantastic so far.

I disagree there. There are times where expanding a story goes against it, like The Hobbit movies, but in the case of House of Cards, I love the US version. It's longer yes, but that only serves to explore the characters and storylines better IMHO. Even though I'm not a fan of drama series, I make an exception with House of Cards... LOVED IT! and can't wait for season 3.

Hobbit? Jackson's Hobbit? Man…

Lemme step away from that travesty and bring some really exciting news.
If this is true, Farscape is coming back through a spinoff TV movie:
http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...riting-Screenplay-TV-Movie-Spinoff-62420.html

No, we probably won't get to see more of Claudia Black's awsomeness, the movie will be about her son when he turns 19. Her "son" in series of course, not some real one.

You didn't watch Farscape? I can't believe it. Just can't.
It's probably not airing anywhere any more, but any series on demand site should have it!

And one thing more when I'm talking about Claudia… I can't know why and how, but now three years old indie movie Rain From Stars never got released on DVD. Apparently only US audience could see it.
http://www.claudiablackonline.com/news.php?Id=311
And I want that thing in my home collection desperately. How to start a KS project of it's DVD release?

Last edited:
Ian Richardson, not Nigel Hawthorne. Very similar actors though.

There were two more mini-series with the same character.

Yup, ouch, I feel dumb now. They are remarkably similar though, lol.

The "two more" would be what I meant by "the whole 3-parter" lol (though I thought the third installment was losing it a bit).

@wolfing, I wasn't stating whether the method was a good or bad one, just that it happens. Yes, you're right, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

Those who frequently check the site rottentomattoes can read their list of movie news every 7 days with a spotlight on the "rotten idea of the week". Usually it's an idea so bad it can't be described with words how bad it really is.

But that site probably didn't spot nor will cover possibly the most rotten idea of the decade - because it's about TV series.
HBO and J.J. Abrams are bringing the cult movie Westworld back as a TV show.

I just can't believe this is even possible and am trying to wake up to stop this nightmare:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/30/westworld-jj-abrams-hbo/

If you still didn't watch the movie (forget the sequel), do it now before it becomes "abramized":
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/

More rotten than a remake of this movie can only be turning Chaplin's Modern Times into J.J. Abrams show.

Back
Top Bottom