RPGWatch - Moving to a new server completed

This just smell like an encoding issue - you know isoxyz vs isoqrz thingy. The actual data is saved correctly and sent correctly but the html tells the browser to treat it in the wrong fasion...

Don't think it's related to the browser at all. Seems like vBulletin, when you reply to a post, is giving you HTML entities for any non-ASCII characters that are in the post you're replying to, but then refuses to accept them back when you hit the "post" button, instead converting them all to "?". Browser's just displaying what it's been told to, which in this case is literally a "?".

The issue as you have noticed, is that on posting a character like ? is showing correctly. (In the database the character is translated to a HTML entity)
Editing a post works properly as well.

When quoting this post the character is changed into a question mark upon posting.
The things I mentioned, your post, Darths post and Alriks were not quotes. Though they reappeared when quoting.

and multi-quotes appear not to be working.

When hitting quote+ and quote it is doing what it is supposed to be doing.
Problem I am having is that it does not seem to forget the first post (quote+) after I have cancelled the multi-quote.
This happened to me yesterday when replying to a post and just right now.

Edit
I have noticed that the quote+ is highlighted after having been touched once.
When deselecting it, so hitting it again, I can quote a single post again.
So nothing disfunctional here when multi-quoting, neither yesterday (NB before you made that remark that multi quote was not working) nor today.

Last edited:
Stingray is correct. The special characters are entered and saved correctly and are loaded and displayed correctly. So you can create a post and edit that post and all special characters are shown in a correct way, before and after the editing.
it goes south when quoting a post with a special character, when inside the quote. It is displayed and shown correct with a special character outside of the quote.
So it is either something in the latest version of VB or a PHP function that is used and behaves in a different fashion.

@Eye;: I can't reproduce the issue shown for Dart and Alrik. It might be an issue that popped up during the conversion of the database. If so, it must have happened to a lot of older posts as well I expect. But, with new posts it cannot be reproduced.

The multi-quote thing does not work for me though.

Ope - now I see other strange characters in @Alrik Fassbauer;'s signature

I see them now, too. I didn't put them there. I think I'll edit my signature now.
I think that these "strangs signs" should be quotation marks.

Tsk. You did not notice my post, two posts before yours, #45, in this thread?. sob.

My bad. I didn't spot it. I think they stick out a bit more when they're dotted around in a longer text. Might be worth seeing if there's any commonalities.

I think I found the issue, but did not find the time to implement it yet. More news this weekend :)

LOL ! :lol:

By the way ... Is it just me, or is this normal that it needs up to 3 seconds for loading ?
When I click on any link - be it news or forum - the browser wants 1-3 seconds of "thinking time" (as we say here :lol: ) before it displays the web page.

It's an older browser, though.

It could be the new HTTPS encription, I thought ...

No it is unrelated to HTTPS, which we are using for two years already. It is related to some needs to tune things better.

Posting all the funny supported characters

" # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` { | } ~ ¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ₹ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ * ® ¯ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ · ¸ ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿ À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ë ì í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

And quoting them…

Posting all the funny supported characters

" # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` { | } ~ ¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ₹ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ * ® ¯ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ · ¸ ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿ À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ë ì í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

That is this problem solved. It should work from now on. It might be that older posts had some impact. I will look into that at a later stage.
For now I'll focus on the speed thingie (where 'now' means somewhere in the next days or so).

What is also resolved is that whenever a news posting is made a corresponding thread is created on the forums. Even if Silver makes the post, it should work :)

Well done. The speed thingie is odd - once the page starts loading, it loads quickly, but it's like it has to carefully consider your request first.

The speed issue is a bit influenced perhaps because of the 3K+ visitors that are being listed at the moment.

Yikes. Do you think that figure is accurate? Seems far beyond what we'd usually see.

Back
Top Bottom