Votes: 23 19.0%
  • 2001-2005

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • 2006-2010

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 2011-2016

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
This poll shows that the average Watcher is ancient... :)

Wizardy 1 & 2 & 3 player here. None of my friends played Table Top, and I was a runner and Martial arts guy while my friends were into baseball and basketball. CRPGs were perfect for me from day 1. A nerd friend convinced me computers were better gaming machines than what you got in the arcades. Yes nubes, Arcades were a thing back in the day.

wiki list of RPG video games from 1975 to 1985
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_video_games:_1975_to_1985

This is a easy on for me,1988 Phantasy Star on SEGA Master System,was hooked on rpg's since then...

Legacy of the Ancients in 1988 on a C-64. I was 8 years old back then. Damn…time flies (like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana). However the gameplay hasn't held up that well for me, and that's even with a healthy dose of nostalgia. It's not a terrible game mind you, it just hasn't aged well.

Isn't that the truth, as I posted above it was the game that launched my rpg love...but the game that's in my minds eye and the actual game who's graphics I saw recently are two different things.

I hate to say it but I discovered RPGs with the first Dungeon Sieges game! Before that I was console and RTS player!

In the early 80s I owned a C64 and I loved simple top down dungeon crawlers

Gateway to Apshai
Telengard
Sword of Fargoal

Almost exactly the same here. I remember playing "Temple of Apshai" and reading those damn little room descriptions for *hours* with my friends after school. I'm 37 now so... damn, we're talking first grade or so.

I think Temple of Apshai on the C64 and Zork I on the C+4 were my first two "memorable" CRPG experiences; for tabletop play it was the D&D "Red Box" gaming kit that came out right around the same time.

And as I got older things just kept getting better for a long while.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Uh, well, being one of the only two who vote for 2011 I guess I'm one of the younger people here eh.

I started playing RPGs back in the late 00s thanks to games like DA: O and Fallout 3, the first two games to introduce me that "RPG" didn't always mean those Korean MMOs and Diablo clones which are just so-so to me. But I never really loved those two games. Specifically FO3 I just wished it was more action sandbox-y. Me playing Deus Ex games and later, the original Fallouts are what made me love RPG. Also I'm not much into fantasy and prefer sci-fi so yeah it took me a great system specifically made for sci-fi setting to change my previous view of RPG genre.

jRPGs are different story though and I simply came in for the anime art and the story and rarely really loved the gameplay themselves.

When I was 6 (in 89), my brother got an NES and a copy of Ultima: Exodus and Dragon Warrior. Earlier that year my dad had accidentally bought a tabletop RPG from Avalon Hill thinking it was a new board game. So we'd been playing that as a family for a few months before I laid eyes on a electronic version.

Oh, great point. I think before I played Computer RPGs I already had played Hero Quest.

I think the very first Role-playing video game I may have ever played was Hillsfar. My parents got me it for my C64 when I was probably around 8 or 9 years old. And while in retrospect the game is pretty awful (and more of a collage of minigames & text adventure than an RPG), I spent a good deal of time with it. I enjoyed generating characters in the game and eventually completed it with every class.

And it came with an insert that told of the Gold Box D&D games, and while I wanted to get them, by then it was really hard to find any C64 games in my area… So it wasn't until we got a PC several years later that I was finally able to play some of those.

In the meantime, I played some JRPGs on the SEGA Genesis in the early 90's (Shining Force 2 is one that stands out the most)… And loved the Genesis version of Shadowrun (although I found it to be far too grindy and repetitive when I tried to replay it recently).

But I think perhaps playing Fallout 1 & 2 was when I really realized that I loved RPGs (and CRPGs in particular). And I really wish I would've realized it earlier as there's probably a lot of good older CRPGs that I've missed and now I don't really have as much time or inclination to seek them out…

I think the very first Role-playing video game I may have ever played was Hillsfar. My parents got me it for my C64 when I was probably around 8 or 9 years old. And while in retrospect the game is pretty awful (and more of a collage of minigames & text adventure than an RPG), I spent a good deal of time with it. I enjoyed generating characters in the game and eventually completed it with every class.

I don't blame you. I was playing the NES port not that long ago, which has to be worse than the original. But I really enjoyed it. Once I figured out how to play the variety of tasks was pretty entertaining. And the text was actually interesting.

Oh, great point. I think before I played Computer RPGs I already had played Hero Quest.

We had that too, but like a year or two later. Actually I still have a copy.

I used to play shooters, and there was a set of shooters set in the Star Wars universe. That's how I bought Knights of the Old Republic by mistake, thinking it was a next shooter in the set. But once I started playing it, I was hooked. It was a lot more interesting than playing a shooter. From then on I became an RPG fan.

I don't remember when it happened, but I remember that in 2002 I was playing Gothic 2. So maybe a year or a few before that.

Gosh, I feel so young, I'm one of the few who started playing RPG after 2000 :lol: You guys make me feel like a noobie ;)

You ARE young. I've seen your pictures in the appropriate thread. Some of us are codgers I tell ya.

Ah, the dress pic... ;) I'm guessing early-mid 30's is now new young? :p

Back
Top Bottom