Why RPGWatch ignored The Storm Guard: Darkness if Coming?

Dasale

SasqWatch
I was wondering why this game was ignored up to not qualify to be in releases list for the readers GOTY?

My opinion is there's two points:
- It's right like mainstream reviewers, nothing that look special, after a quick try what argues the game promo seems borderline a lie, and there's nothing looking special and attracting curiosity.
- Not enough contents and too short feature list, the size guessed make feel it is neglect-able.

So? Am I doing the right guesses?

EDIT: Sigh, typo in the title, if some admin could fix it, Darkness is Coming (is not if)

Hi @Dasale;,

The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming is a 2016 game.

I reported about it, but got zero responses from Watchers.
So I didn't check it myself. Rogue-likes are in general not so popular here.

Ok, so that's the story.

It's not a Roguelike but a Roguelite. So I presume XCOM is a Roguelite too because of the random aspects?

Ok I didn't realized the Roguelite aspect could be the problem, makes sense.

Hi @Dasale;,

The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming is a 2016 game.

I reported about it, but got zero responses from Watchers.
So I didn't check it myself. Rogue-likes are in general not so popular here.

Actually your first few news posts gathered some comments. I remember reading them, but then I now have too many games to play anyway

It's not a Roguelike but a Roguelite. So I presume XCOM is a Roguelite too because of the random aspects?
No, it's Rouge Like, as in "like the game Rogue" (or NetHack or Dungeons of Dredmor or FTL). It's got to do with perma-death and playing a game more like a coin-op arcade game where you get as far as you can before you die, not the roll of randomness.

I'm not even sure I'd call it either a Roguelike or a Roguelite, but the definitions of those can be pretty subjective. As Dasale says it's more like X-Com or Darkest Dungeons. Characters can die, parties can be wiped out, and that's a setback but it doesn't mean game over. If you keep playing you will generally win.

I remember some discussion about it here when it came out. I liked it a lot at first, but I felt it got pretty repetitive by the end, and there were some significant rough patches. I was kind of disappointed that it didn't receive more updates than it did as well.

I played Storm Guard for 31 hours. I enjoyed it. My main problem was that there was not many updates or patches. It ran smooth for me but it almost felt like it was abandoned.

I only had one or two more fights to finish the game but it lost steam for me at the end. I would give it a solid 75%. I enjoyed my time with it and some of the fights and creatures were really cool. I liked the skills for your soldiers also. Putting together teams was interesting.

i remember a news bit when it was released. I look at it but decided from comments it didn't have enough content to make it interesting. Perhaps i was mistaken but that was my impression without playing the game.

Its been on my wishlist for a long time. The comments I've seen sort of indicated (for me) that it would be a game I'd consider buying if it had a deep discount. Reviews seemed mildly positive, and I'm not so big on roguelike or even roguelight games, because most of them don't seem to have enough content to keep me entertained for long. There have been exceptions like Sword of the Stars the pit with its unique survival aspects, or Sunless Sea or Invisible inc. with their very unique approaches. I also enjoyed the new X-Com, but only enough for a single playthrough.

There's far too much Darkness in PC gaming for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom