Dragon Age: Inquisition - Cracked By Modders

Honestly I understand why a company like EA would be protective of its own image, especially with the horrible cesspits of nastiness that many modding communities revolving around Bethesda have become. My mind will never forget some of these images…

I remember that Atlus severely restricted the custom level capabilities of Disgaea 4 on PlayStation 3 for the North American versions because they didn't want people to upload countless maps representing you know what.

It would be new to me that Bethesdas Image suffered at all because of the mods produced by people.
Generally the open modding is one of the most positive things people mention about Bethesda.

At least can you understand why some executives would clearly not be at ease with it? Because some of these modders... wow...

Mods are like the rest of the internet - 90% of them are fluff and garbage but there is plenty of great stuff to choose from among the remaining 10%.

Modders are there to be creative, not to clean developers' mess.

I must admit, I don't really see where you're coming from; some modders will decide to try their hand at bugfixing and/or restoring cut content (which all up makes a small percentage of total modding done for a game), others will want to make new content, the two are hardly mutually-exclusive.

Honestly I understand why a company like EA would be protective of its own image, especially with the horrible cesspits of nastiness that many modding communities revolving around Bethesda have become. My mind will never forget some of these images…

I find it unlikely that Dragon Age's relative lack of mod-friendliness lies in some bizarre fear EA has that modding will have on it's image (though this IS EA we are talking about after all), and more to do with (being very general/broad here) the game engine itself and Bioware's lack of willingness to devote resources towards making it easily moddable on the same level as some other games (which is their decision really, I don't really begrudge them on that).

Also, the only mods that typically get a lot of attention in the gaming media are usually rather significant/well-known ones, such as (for Bethesda games) Falskaar, Tamriel Rebuilt, Project Brazil, or Nehrim that, if anything, serves to be a positive effect to the game's image and also helps to extend its' life far longer that what it would have been otherwise.

Also, let's be serious here, this is EA we are talking about; I think we could all agree that modding communities of all things is small fish compared to other image problems the company has, even if we were to accept the arguement that modding communities somehow have a negative effect on a company's image (I personally would have thought that it would reflect more on the specific modding community in question if that were the case).

Essentially the crux of my argument is this; If you want an XXX adult Skyrim prostitution mod, it's available, if you want a complex quest mod that features new areas, they're available, if want a mod to have the real world time displayed in loading screens, then it's available. Calling whole modding communities cesspits due to the presence of some adult mods/other rubbish is undeserved in my opinion; it is after all your decision to seek out and download said mods within those general modding communities.*

*Those modding communities that specfically create and congregate around such content is another story entirely however

At least can you understand why some executives would clearly not be at ease with it? Because some of these modders… wow…

No not really. You have to specifically seek out the real adult mods.
And if you do one can assume you have an interest in the subject matter.
The average TES player is never exposed to that stuff why would the execs be worried about it?
(Nude mods don't count and
the times of hot coffee outrage and rating changes because the Devs left a topless Model in the game files are hopefully long gone too.)

Well 3DM (the group who has been working on a work around for the Denuvo security) have been compiling data from tests using various system builds, but the AMD processors are giving them issues.

Here is a translation from a member of the 3DM team:

Is there any data to show how this game not being cracked has affected sales?

Not sure how you'd even measure that.
Best bet would probably be looking at Fifa 14 to Fifa 15 sales(As their fairly similar and have similar sales each year), although Fifa 14 took about 3 weeks to crack too.

I must admit, I don't really see where you're coming from; some modders will decide to try their hand at bugfixing and/or restoring cut content
I wasn't talking about cut content but about the mess.
And modders tend to overdo it. How do I know that? Because I was involved in BG2 unofficial fixes and there were suggestions (today I just hope those didn't went in) to put enhanced stat on shifters' "weapons" while shifted. And it messes the original design as it's supposed not to be enhanced so morphs can kill mages fast.
Bugfixig has to be made by developers. Customers paid for a working product. Are you fixing a TV or washing machine yourself if bought a broken one?

Nudity and nude mods? DA3 is initially rated mature (and I don't think it should be, but probably to avoid overcensoring in some countries). There is already nudity inside, but stripped naked models are barbie dolls. Without body hair, and that includes Varric who's chest hair is probably added as a part of equipment.
But DA3 is not Sims game. While in Sims 3 and 4 (dunno about 1 and 2) there are some real nudity mods that show everything, I don't see why would someone bother to put that in RPG.

Pirating or lack of it IMO affected nothing here.
Sales are a bit lower because the game is not being sold in India. Apparently because of samesex scenes, which is IMO rediculous as you can aready see all of those on youtube so in a way people in India can't buy the game to play a game, but can still watch cutscenes that got it "banned".

What also affected sales numbers was customers getting burned with DA2 letdown and scandalous cutting out major content from ME3, turning DLC into pay2win content there and dreadful red_green_blue ending.

Once disappointed, it's not easy to risk again. After finishing the game I can say you won't feel cheated with DA3. Just keep in mind that the main platform is probably Nintendo Wii U or iPhone 4 and if you don't want to buy consoleports/phonegameports at all, you should not buy this game.
DA3 is not a masterpiece and as such is IMO too expensive and you should buy it when discounted at least 20-25%.

I'm waiting for all DLC and at least 25% before I buy...unless I run out of games.

It's true that modders tend to go much too far even though some have impressive achievements. You are talking about people who will dedicate hundreds of hours of their life for unpaid, tedious, anonymous work where the userbase will have no gratefulness toward you and will always request more and complain endlessly.

It takes a special personality to do it and at some point the frustration and lack of recognition are too much and they let their ego run wild.

On the Codex the running joke is that all modders are crazy and constantly generating drama and I would say there is certainly a grain of truth to it.

Dunno if anyone of you saw hairdos a modder made, those look spectacular compared to anything in the game by default.

Did EA gave her a job? Of course not! Their games have to stay mediocre!

After finishing the game I can say you won't feel cheated with DA3. Just keep in mind that the main platform is probably Nintendo Wii U or iPhone 4 and if you don't want to buy consoleports/phonegameports at all, you should not buy this game.

Wait, what? INSTABUY!! :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom