PC World - Top 10 Games of the Year

If I had to rank a top 7 out of that list (and a few) by my own fun ranking then:

1. DA: I
2. Elite Dangerous
3. D: OS
4. Alien Isolation
5. The Wolf Among Us
6. Rimworld
7. Wasteland 2

#1 The Stick of Truth.

It's definetly not the best game this year. But it deserved an entry in top 10. So when vote on the watch comes I'll vote for it because everyone feels uncomfortable around that game for whatever reason.

I'm going to bite…whats wrong with dragon age being on there?

The game is entertaining enough but I think the choices they made when it comes to exploration and quest design really shouldn't be rewarded.

Risen 3 should be there as well.

+1

I completely Forgot about that game. Probably my favorite Risen of the bunch. Just so many good RPGs this year. But the very fact that Risen 3 brought back flying to the genre deserves major kudos in my book. Probably a top 3 game for me.

Risen 3 should be there as well.
Another game (paid to be?) ignored by those "toplists" sites. Luckily we'll have our own vote here.

#1 The Stick of Truth.

It's definetly not the best game this year. But it deserved an entry in top 10. So when vote on the watch comes I'll vote for it because everyone feels uncomfortable around that game for whatever reason.

As a waning fan of the show, I had always said I'd buy it when it was steeply discounted… Well, Friday was the day on Steam. Got it for like 11 bucks on a flash sale or something.

#1 The Stick of Truth.

I admit I haven't played it yet… but what I've seen of the gameplay just looks awful. Active time JRPG combat with lots of QTE style button mashing? Ugh.

I've heard it's pretty funny if you're a fan of the show so I'll probably play it eventually for that reason… But I don't understand why Obsidian went with that battle system of all things… I suppose it would be too much for me to hope that they would make a proper turn-based tactical / SRPG, but I'd think that they could've at least gone with the serviceable RTwP style combat that they have done with many of their previous games.

Another disappointment… There's apparently no branching narrative or choice & consequence to speak of.. I've heard you make one choice near the end but then it clearly doesn't matter. Seems such a waste, just because the game is a comedy / satire, doesn't mean it can't have some deep RPG mechanics… Since the game is about the conflict between the humans and the "elves", the protagonist should be able to choose which side to support.. But from what I've read you can't, because the game is extremely linear.

And for those reasons alone, I don't think Stick of Truth deserves to be on a best of 2014 list when we had games like Dragonfall and D:OS.

I'll never play SotT as for me there would be a total lack of immersion.

I wonder how many folks who voted for Wasteland 2 actually finished the game? I loved it for about 20 hours. Then it was 'meh' for another 30. Then I stopped entirely.

Most who say it was the best game they'd played this year, or close to it, then qualify their statement by saying something like, "but I stopped playing before California" or "but it was so big, I never finished"… To me, that kind of says something. If the game were that good, you'd probably have finished it.

I have no problem with Original Sin being #1, but the Wasteland 2 love I just don't get.

Actually, I liked California alot better than the first part. Might have been because I've played through Arizona several times and California only once though, but still. The Factions are more interesting in California, as are the quest lines.

I haven't played DA:I and don't know if I ever will, since I didn't find DA:O very entertaining I haven't played any of the sequels.

I have a really hard time choosing this years favourite, it's a tie between D:OS, Wasteland 2 and Dragonfall. Liked them all a lot, didn't quite LOVE any of them.

Well I have only played a few 2014 games, one of which I played this "early" just because of the kindness of a free activation code from RPGWatch for Blackguards. :)

Back
Top Bottom