Tales from Candlekeep - Gameplay Teaser

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Here's the exclusive Dungeons & Dragons Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation gameplay teaser video. The RPG will be available in October:

Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation - Gameplay Teaser

Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation is a turn-based dungeon-crawling game based on the Dungeons & Dragons Adventure System board games.

GAME’S KEY FEATURES

• Unique Quests: The procedural map generation allows every quest to remain unique even when replaying them multiple times.
  • Over 40 Quests: The game features a mix of Main Story quests and Side quests.
  • A board game experience brought to life: The game highlights most of the features from the popular board game, combined with features unique to the digital version.
  • Craft your way to Victory: Collect rare crafting materials. Craft powerful weapons and armors to strengthen your heroes.
More information.

That 8-bit piracy game that just came out listed No Crafting! as one of the features. I'm starting to think of it as a feature myself.

I don't tend to like modern implementations of crafting either. It's a facet of the game that typically detracts from the overall experience, focusing your efforts on powergaming rather than exploration.

Still, if this game is set at a good price point ($20), I'll likely pick it up. Chult was always a strangely intriguing region for me.

Hmm looks interesting. Not a fan of procedurely generated nor the setting but will keep an eye on this.

Not impressed by that teaser, but maybe it's better than it looks. Is it just me or are the animations somewhat exaggerated? It almost looks more like the style of a JRPG.

Also not a fan of procedural generation.

So this is based on the tomb of annihilation board game, which I haven't played, but I've heard good things about it. In the board game you build the map as you play, by connecting various tiles together. So when they say procedural generation, they appear to be talking about that, not the traditional definition.

It's unclear if it's a direct translation of the board game or if they are adding some stuff in the computer version. Either way it's important to note that is a board game, so even though it has heavy RPG elements, it may not be everyone's thing.

So this is based on the tomb of annihilation board game, which I haven't played, but I've heard good things about it. In the board game you build the map as you play, by connecting various tiles together. So when they say procedural generation, they appear to be talking about that, not the traditional definition.

It's unclear if it's a direct translation of the board game or if they are adding some stuff in the computer version. Either way it's important to note that is a board game, so even though it has heavy RPG elements, it may not be everyone's thing.

Yea I have some of the earlier board games and enjoy them. I don't know about playing a board game digital though as I like having actual stuff in my hands. I also wonder if it creates a competing product as now you don't have to buy the board game you can just buy the digital game.

I much prefer the approach that fantasy flight took with descent road to legend. They created a companion app that added new adventures using tile layouts but you still use the board game with the app. This being said I don't know if I will get this board game so might get this.

Yea I have some of the earlier board games and enjoy them. I don't know about playing a board game digital though as I like having actual stuff in my hands. I also wonder if it creates a competing product as now you don't have to buy the board game you can just buy the digital game.

I much prefer the approach that fantasy flight took with descent road to legend. They created a companion app that added new adventures using tile layouts but you still use the board game with the app. This being said I don't know if I will get this board game so might get this.

The big advantage to playing a digital board game is that it's a lot cheaper, and you don't have to worry about shuffling decks, arranging pieces, setting everything up and putting them away, etc. It's great for solo play, especially in a co-op game like this where they don't need to worry about creating an AI. Since it's much cheaper, it can also be a great way to see if you like a physical board game before you buy it.

For group play though, I'd much rather be around a board with live players. But sometimes that's just not an option.

The big advantage to playing a digital board game is that it's a lot cheaper, and you don't have to worry about shuffling decks, arranging pieces, setting everything up and putting them away, etc. It's great for solo play, especially in a co-op game like this where they don't need to worry about creating an AI. Since it's much cheaper, it can also be a great way to see if you like a physical board game before you buy it.

For group play though, I'd much rather be around a board with live players. But sometimes that's just not an option.

Agree with all that. I wonder about it competing with board game sales but maybe it's a different audience.

Back
Top Bottom