Elex Elex First Impressions

The TES/Fallout team at Bethesda is too stuck in their ways to evolve their games anywhere else but an ever-increasing soup of bland, stagnant, copy/pasted content. The real talent over there is the marketing department.

Probably going to do some dumb VR stunt...

I'd like to explore Tamriel in VR, but only if (and this is a big if) the game isn't dumbed down to VR gimmick levels. Hopefully by the time the next TES rolls around they are able to do relatively deep RPGs in VR.

I'd like to explore Tamriel in VR, but only if (and this is a big if) the game isn't dumbed down to VR gimmick levels.

I watched a stream yesterday, i think the VR version of Skyrim looks good actually, it has walking and not teleportation (i think you can choose it if you want). The fighting could be a huge improvement over the using a gamepad or mouse.

Picked up Elex last night from CDKeys. I haven't had much chance to play beyond the first two hours, but here are my initial thoughts so far (keep in mind I'm playing on a i7 5820k processor with a GTX 980 Ti card and 32G RAM). I'm a couple weeks late, but for anyone still on the fence, perhaps this may convince you.

Firstly, the environment is gorgeous. Plant life seems to have taken hold of the starting area, but it's very colorful and vibrant. Graphically, the game is quite impressive. Off road paths seem very natural and fit within the game world. I feel as if I'm exploring the wilds that have been untouched by humanity for a long time.

Controls are very fluid and reactive to player input - there's very little (if any) input delay, which makes me feel I'm in control of my character. This is wonderful, a huge plus. The jetpack is fun and is very responsive.

Character animations are a bit stiff and don't appear natural, although this doesn't really bother me much and has already been mentioned by the community. I went in knowing what to expect, so that may have helped. However, the framerate is very smooth, and haven't encountered performance hindrances yet, which is a great sign.

I've heard combat to be a bit difficult for players, although I'm not having much trouble with it myself. I'm finding lots of potions but haven't felt the need to use them yet (I may ramp up the difficulty at some point, I'm playing on normal). The world is absolutely packed with miscellaneous goods and I can't help myself when the desire to explore suddenly emerges.

Beyond that, I haven't really had enough time to have a taste of what the game really has to offer, but initial impressions are good. Very good, in fact. I had a lot of fun within those first two hours, and at two points I lost track of time. Good? Bad? I think that's a good thing. :)

More to come soon (I'll have logged more time later in the afternoon today)!

I watched a stream yesterday, i think the VR version of Skyrim looks good actually, it has walking and not teleportation (i think you can choose it if you want). The fighting could be a huge improvement over the using a gamepad or mouse.

Cool. For future VRPGs, my only concern is that they would dumb down the game to accommodate for the VR tech. I.e., simplify many of the systems due to the nature of the hardware. If they can still pump out a Skyrim-level RPG *AND* have it play well in VR, then I'm very game for it.

Picked up Elex last night from CDKeys. I haven't had much chance to play beyond the first two hours, but here are my initial thoughts so far (keep in mind I'm playing on a i7 5820k processor with a GTX 980 Ti card and 32G RAM). I'm a couple weeks late, but for anyone still on the fence, perhaps this may convince you.

Firstly, the environment is gorgeous. Plant life seems to have taken hold of the starting area, but it's very colorful and vibrant. Graphically, the game is quite impressive. Off road paths seem very natural and fit within the game world. I feel as if I'm exploring the wilds that have been untouched by humanity for a long time.

Controls are very fluid and reactive to player input - there's very little (if any) input delay, which makes me feel I'm in control of my character. This is wonderful, a huge plus. The jetpack is fun and is very responsive.

Character animations are a bit stiff and don't appear natural, although this doesn't really bother me much and has already been mentioned by the community. I went in knowing what to expect, so that may have helped. However, the framerate is very smooth, and haven't encountered performance hindrances yet, which is a great sign.

I've heard combat to be a bit difficult for players, although I'm not having much trouble with it myself. I'm finding lots of potions but haven't felt the need to use them yet (I may ramp up the difficulty at some point, I'm playing on normal). The world is absolutely packed with miscellaneous goods and I can't help myself when the desire to explore suddenly emerges.

Beyond that, I haven't really had enough time to have a taste of what the game really has to offer, but initial impressions are good. Very good, in fact. I had a lot of fun within those first two hours, and at two points I lost track of time. Good? Bad? I think that's a good thing. :)

More to come soon (I'll have logged more time later in the afternoon today)!

Nice impressions! Have fun. It's a doozy. :)

One thing which really impressed me with this game is that it actually gave me a fright. I approached what I thought was a fire pit to roast some meat and this MASSIVE spider leapt out and I jumped, took my hands off the KB and Mouse and was dead before I recovered!! Did that happen to anyone else?

One thing which really impressed me with this game is that it actually gave me a fright. I approached what I thought was a fire pit to roast some meat and this MASSIVE spider leapt out and I jumped, took my hands off the KB and Mouse and was dead before I recovered!! Did that happen to anyone else?

Oh god, me. I was walking along the beach at night, minding my business and collecting herbs, and BAM! Those damn spiders. Scared the bejeezus out of me!

The game also gave me a couple other jump scares while exploring. Those rot boars seem like they can be Rippers from the old Gothic games, i.e. hunt you a bit and then leap out of nowhere!

Ooh! I’d love to experience that. I don’t remember the last time any game made me really jump.

Only a couple of hours in but combat seems very clunky and doesn't flow at all. Thought I'd go back towards the starting area to try to get some easy xp but some of the wildlife kills me in one shot, humans too.

The "feel" is all Gothic/Risen which is great and you know there's a great amount of exploring to be done as well as questing, feels like a bit of grinding/practising is necessary.

Only a couple of hours in but combat seems very clunky and doesn't flow at all. Thought I'd go back towards the starting area to try to get some easy xp but some of the wildlife kills me in one shot, humans too.

The "feel" is all Gothic/Risen which is great and you know there's a great amount of exploring to be done as well as questing, feels like a bit of grinding/practising is necessary.

Practicing, yes. It's a challenging combat system and you have to learn it to execute the best combo attacks, etc.. Grinding, not really necessary.

Trying to kill things is not a great idea until several hours into the game. It's slightly different from Gothic in that regard.

My suggestions to you is to not do the fighting early on. Make your way north to the city there and find there companion there, that companion is fairly strong and will help a great deal in combat until you are strong enough(I've been intentionally vague to not be spoiling anything). Also I suggest keeping the "force push" spells you find instead of selling them, there are fights where your companion wont help, those come from triggering combat through dialogue, early on those spells help a great deal.

I finished ELEX today after 91 hours - Berzerker lvl. 44

A great open world RPG!

When I started I was playing it like an adventure game, never fighting anything if I couldn't help it. This changed a bit after I joined the clerics, I never liked games where I fight with a melee weapon so I'm mostly using my cleric weapons' mines and the companion to distract them while the mines do their job. This obviously doesn't work well with high skull enemies mostly because I don't want to use all my mana potions on an enemy that'll give me 120xp when a much easier one would give me 90.

When I started I was playing it like an adventure game, never fighting anything if I couldn't help it. This changed a bit after I joined the clerics, I never liked games where I fight with a melee weapon so I'm mostly using my cleric weapons' mines and the companion to distract them while the mines do their job. This obviously doesn't work well with high skull enemies mostly because I don't want to use all my mana potions on an enemy that'll give me 120xp when a much easier one would give me 90.

This is what I’m doing at the moment, running from just about everything and trying to explore and discover teleporters as much as I can. I find that I abuse the jet pack quite a bit. Although, I fight what I know I can handle, which is about 1% of everything out there. :p

I’m about 4 hours in at level 5, and I think I may side with the Clerics or Berserkers. I think my biggest hurdle right now is increasing my weapon damage, which I’m trying to focus on. Ideally, I’d like to be a ranged character, and meeting up with the Clerics may significantly help in that regard. Completing quests is aiding nicely in level progression, though.

Oh, those sneaky spiders. Their "hideout" is even fairly visible (puddle of blood on the ground), but I still kept missing them again and again! They surprised me so many times.

There is mild respawning even within the same chapter.
And the respawned monsters are selected by the game by after analyzing your character. ;)

Back
Top Bottom