ELEX - Review @ Niche Gamer

At first i was shocked at the result, but I love it after thinking about it for a while. I disagree with the idea of revealing consequences of actions prior to doing them, but I guess different strokes on that.

One of the great parts of ELEX is that you never know exactly how the consequences of your choices are going to play out. I've had some real shockers, and now I agonize over the choices, thinking about every angle of how they can turn out. :lol:

At first i was shocked at the result, but I love it after thinking about it for a while. I disagree with the idea of revealing consequences of actions prior to doing them, but I guess different strokes on that.

I didn't say anything about revealing consequences. The problem is that some of related quests are kind of vague. i.e. They might make some people think they're role-playing the "good guy" side when it's actually the opposite. They could have provided some subtle hints about what might happen without being too direct.

I didn't complete the Abessa questline yet, but I can't tell one way or the other which side I "should" support as a good guy. So...much...grey area. :lol:

I didn't say anything about revealing consequences. The problem is that some of related quests are kind of vague. i.e. They might make some people think they're role-playing the "good guy" side when it's actually the opposite. They could have provided some subtle hints about what might happen without being too direct.

I think that is a good thing. Like in real life, it is possible, a person who thinks they are doing the right thing could actually be working into the hands of a much worse enemy. For example a person finds a dead body and sees a cop, he calls out to him and the cop arrests him because the cop was the killer, such things can happen in real life.

I guess you can make the game a little gamey and hint at the consequences, but this is the one instance where I prefer realism over gameyness.

I think that is a good thing. Like in real life, it is possible, a person who thinks they are doing the right thing could actually be working into the hands of a much worse enemy. For example a person finds a dead body and sees a cop, he calls out to him and the cop arrests him because the cop was the killer, such things can happen in real life.

I guess you can make the game a little gamey and hint at the consequences, but this is the one instance where I prefer realism over gameyness.

That's what I was getting at with my comment. It really makes things unpredictable in ELEX, which is torture on one hand but exhilarating on the other.

I like it a lot.

It was simply too much for me that
all of the alb separatists and all outlaws were conspirators, and that clerics wiped out entirety of each faction. All black and white - no nuance - unlike remainder of game. Didn't care for that…

Now you're just rationalizing, but ok. :)

What I said has nothing to do with "gameyness". It's more about some of those quests not being explained very well in-game.

It was simply too much for me that
all of the alb separatists and all outlaws were conspirators, and that clerics wiped out entirety of each faction. All black and white - no nuance - unlike remainder of game. Didn't care for that…

Neither the alb separatists or the outlaws were conspirators. You can help the alb separatists in Abessa and not get the alb invasion. Also what happened with the outlaws was not a plot to let albs take over Abessa, IIRC the guy you let out with the fake ID got the shield generators shut down by accident. The outlaws thought they were doing the right thing but fucked up. I do not know if things change if you dont give that guy the id, I havent tried siding with the out laws and not doing that

Now you're just rationalizing, but ok. :)

What I said has nothing to do with "gameyness". It's more about some of those quests not being explained very well in-game.

What part of those quests werent explained very well? I feel you are moving goal posts here, didnt you originally complain that the quests didnt give you hints of the consequences, not that the quests werent explained very well?

What part of those quests werent explained very well? I feel you are moving goal posts here, didnt you originally complain that the quests didnt give you hints of the consequences, not that the quests werent explained very well?

Yes, and those things go hand in hand. Do I really need to explain that to you?

I get that you and Fluent live in a land of rainbows and unicorns when it comes to Elex, but believe it or not, the game is not perfect.

It's not a flaw, though, it's a design choice.

Maybe I'm not understanding your gripe, but vagueness and unpredictability is part of the design. Even companion responses to situations can vary and might seem strange, but it's because these things are not always black and white. So one choice you make may lead to some completely unforeseen consequences, or unforeseen reactions from companions and so on.

That's how I understand it, anyway.

Edit - Reminds me of a comment I saw on Steam actually. Someone was poking fun at how Ray
reacts if you kill Mason, one of the people hunting him, during that questline. If you kill him, it says "Ray Doesn't Like That", even though you essentially saved Ray's life.
Well, to me, that means it's because Ray
wanted to avoid killing members of his old crew, if possible, even if they had contracts on him. So while he's happy to be alive, he didn't like that you killed Mason, his old friend.

Just using that as an example of the complex type of systems used in the game. It's a beautiful mess, really, and it can be hard to sort out. But I'm pretty sure that is all by design.

It's not a flaw, though, it's a design choice.

What you mean is that you don't see it as a flaw which is fine. You can't say it is or isn't in an objective sense, but it's something most people are either going to like or dislike.

I don't necessarily dislike it, but I do feel it could have been done better.

Actually the sequence didn't make a great deal of sense in large part…
I didn't give Cooper the fake ID, and Suggestor "convinced" him to leave city; but next minute clerics kill all remaining outlaws. I saved the dome by not allowing sabotage; but afterwards the entrance guard (Gregor?) keeps saying no need for security any more… Go figure…

What you mean is that you don't see it as a flaw which is fine. You can't say it is or isn't in an objective sense, but it's something most people are either going to like or dislike.

I don't necessarily dislike it, but I do feel it could have been done better.

Got you.

See my post as I edited it. The game is a crazy mess like that, but in a good way, IMO.

I agree some won't like it, though.

Edit - Reminds me of a comment I saw on Steam actually. Someone was poking fun at how Ray
reacts if you kill Mason, one of the people hunting him, during that questline. If you kill him, it says "Ray Doesn't Like That", even though you essentially saved Ray's life.
Well, to me, that means it's because Ray
wanted to avoid killing members of his old crew, if possible, even if they had contracts on him. So while he's happy to be alive, he didn't like that you killed Mason, his old friend.

Well, not exactly.
Iirc, Mason is the one where Ray mentions he can be "bought" for the right price. That's why he reacts negatively if you kill him. Otherwise he would react the same way for all the guys carrying a contract for him, but he doesn't.

Well, not exactly.
Iirc, Mason is the one where Ray mentions he can be "bought" for the right price. That's why he reacts negatively if you kill him. Otherwise he would react the same way for all the guys carrying a contract for him, but he doesn't.

Hmm, you could be right, but

a few of the guys Ray didn't like. I think Jackson, Ray actually hated, and was glad when he was killed. So it could vary from person to person in that questline, too.

Would have to look deeper into it to say for sure. At the very least I think we can agree that there are some pretty strange and complex things going on under the hood in this game. :)

With Bomby (the other contract killer), you can pay his unreasonable demand (1000 shards), or attack him... In either case Ray says the same thing "he fought hard..."

With Bomby (the other contract killer), you can pay his unreasonable demand (1000 shards), or attack him… In either case Ray says the same thing "he fought hard…"

A Skex killed Bomby on me. And apparently
his death will change the story.

Done with this thread, I wish to see no spoilers. :D

Actually the sequence didn't make a great deal of sense in large part…
I didn't give Cooper the fake ID, and Suggestor "convinced" him to leave city; but next minute clerics kill all remaining outlaws. I saved the dome by not allowing sabotage; but afterwards the entrance guard (Gregor?) keeps saying no need for security any more… Go figure…

Interesting, did you go to that big farm nearby the Domed City where the outlaws(not the farm where you fist meet the Abessa outlaws outside the city) are and ask them what happened?

It might be that it all comes down to putting that bug in the tower. Shame there is no more nuance than that, but I guess that is the stage of today's games.

Back
Top Bottom