Obsidian Entertainment - Working on Next-Gen RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Segment Next reports that Obsidian Entertainment is working on a next gen AAA RPG.

With The Outer Worlds done and dusted, Obsidian Entertainment is switching gears to move onto a triple-a role-playing game for next-generation platforms. The unannounced project was already known to be in the works but now, an indirect confirmation has arrived alongside some minor details.

Earlier today, Obsidian Entertainment updated its careers website to open over two dozen job listings across the board. Many of the senior positions mention an unknown next-generation role-playing game that will feature both melee and ranged combat, as well as "exceptional" gunplay, in first-person perspective. Multiplayer elements have also been mentioned and in traditional Obsidian Entertainment fashion, the upcoming triple-a project will have voiced characters and branching dialogues to make a "fun" narrative.

[...]
More information.

Another first person RPG with guns. RIP Obsidian.

Why RIP? The Outer Worlds - an excellent game from what I have played so far - was also a pretty big commercial success. So ... ? Or is it RIP in terms of delivering classic RPG?

To each their own, and I interpret "rip" meaning "these type of games from them are not my cup of tea."

The Outer Worlds was definitely my cup of tea, though, so I am glad to read that they are working on another AAA RPG, whether that's The Outer Worlds 2 or something else. I'm no longer a fan of isometric so hopefully it is first-person or else third-person.

Why RIP? The Outer Worlds - an excellent game from what I have played so far - was also a pretty big commercial success. So … ? Or is it RIP in terms of delivering classic RPG?

Yeah, It's pretty much just RIP for me personally and from a perspective of them making Classic RPG's like POE.

I'm not really into sci-fi, post apoc or cyberpunk settings or FPS RPG's. I got bored of fallouts and while I will give Cyberpunk a shot I don't have a good feeling about staying interested in it long enough to finish.

It's not much of a suprise. I figured when Microsoft acquired them it wasn't to make old school RTWP RPG's but I was hoping it would at least be a fantasy RPG I could be interested in.

Makes perfect sense - I am alway wary of companies becoming ‘the next Bioware’ (not a compliment), so that is an obvious concern with Obsidian. But I do love the Pillars of Eternity games and The Outer Worlds, so I remain hopeful. But what you say makes sense - for some weird reason I am pretty cool with most settings so long as there is something to do.

We're talking about a game we won't see in at least couple of years, right?
Nice to know though that the survival game was just a picnic project and we'll be getting another Obsidian's RPG.

If fantasy RPGs were all we had, I'd probably have quit the genre by now. Not that I don't love fantasy, but I can only enjoy similar settings for so long before needing a change.

That said, I wasn't impressed by The Outer Worlds. I loved the setting and art direction, but the experience was diluted by terrible itemization and mostly mediocre quest design.

I'll be surprised if they anounce a sequel this soon though. I expect it's a different IP.

If fantasy RPGs were all we had, I'd probably have quit the genre by now. Not that I don't love fantasy, but I can only enjoy similar settings for so long before needing a change.

That said, I wasn't impressed by The Outer Worlds. I loved the setting and art direction, but the experience was diluted by terrible itemization and mostly mediocre quest design.

I'll be surprised if they anounce a sequel this soon though. I expect it's a different IP.

Sad thing is we only get like 3 settings in RPGs: Fantasy. Steampunk and Post Apocalyptic Fallout like. It's so dull. And part of why I liked Greefall so much

Sad thing is we only get like 3 settings in RPGs: Fantasy. Steampunk and Post Apocalyptic Fallout like. It's so dull. And part of why I liked Greefall so much

You just reminded me that I still need to play Vaporum. There are actually very few Steampunk RPGs out there.

There are probably more cyberpunk RPGs than steampunk if you consider all the Deus Ex and Shadowrun games.

Weird thing is while I can't get in to cyberpunk, sci-fi and post apoc settings in games I really enjoy movies in those settings.

Sorry it's a little OT but it relates to my original post.

I agree:
Sci-Fi / cyberpunk / post-apoc all have a hard time in RPGs because of a number of reasons:
Modalities of combat are more limited: guns… shoot them, they are dead (shoot them lots for them to die and you loose immersion / believability). just use different types of guns… yeah still not interesting… add in grenades… slightly more interesting.. add in psionics… slightly more interesting perhaps!
Melee interactions make skill more important, and bring combat to a more personal depth toe to toe interaction.
Fantasy seems to have more ways of doing combat, including myriad of magic means, psionics, different melee methods, bombs (alchemist perhaps), warlock invocations, divine magic, stealth mechanics.
The modern lifestyle removes that MYSTERY! that we lack in the later aged games, and makes combat about guns… bang bang you are dead.

PoE lost it for me in its class and combat mechanics… they redid / remade a lot of class and combat mechanics, and it just did not grip me, or even make sense a lot of times. Classes felt boring, and it lost me in that.

Fantasy RPGs need to get back to the tried and true mechanics and stop trying to reinvent mechanics and instead create interesting stories using tried and true classes / beasts / systems…. but get creative!!

Give me full length new stories made with the same engines and worlds as in Dragon age origins, or BG2, or even skyrim (although I do have some issues with skyrim, but it was still masterful!).

Sci-Fi etc works, but it takes a lot more work to make the games interesting than a fantasy setting IMO.

Bring on BG3!!
I am even sceptical that 2077 cyberpunk will deliver... oh it will deliver, but I don't think it will be as good as many are hoping.... If it was in a forgotten realms setting, or pathfinder, (or even the witcher, with a main character as a mage / sorcerer) or something like that (not isometric though lol), then definitely they would have an easier time.

In fact I have a great setting that I made when I was younger I called "Navigator", where the speed of light was only overcome using an almost psionic ability found in some people, called "navigators"... Those navigators had different skills sets to link to electronic systems to create ships driven by these navigators to explore space. But each navigator was different with different abilities to interact with different electronic systems... Life support and bio, and engines / shields, and weapons, and FTL abilities...
It was awesome in that there was great need for interaction between different class navigators for the combat and events to excel. AND there were lots of modalities to interact with!
But the creativity of todays games is either weak, lacking depth, repetitive, or one dimensional.
(end rant... sorry)

In fact I have a great setting that I made when I was younger I called "Navigator", where the speed of light was only overcome using an almost psionic ability found in some people, called "navigators"

Were their powers enhanced if they ingested a spice that was only found on one planet in the known universe and guarded by giant sandworms? ;)

Not my cup of tea. Will they ever make another Alpha Protocol (in terms of gameplay)?

Were their powers enhanced if they ingested a spice that was only found on one planet in the known universe and guarded by giant sandworms? ;)
Hey, that was going to be my reply. Until he/she mentioned the different navigator classes controlling different ship systems. Clearly different! :)

Back
Top Bottom