Cyberpunk 2077 - Story comes first

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer interviewed CD Project Red about Cyberpunk 2077:

Story comes first in the making of Cyberpunk 2077

We speak to CD Projekt Red about the granular details of 2018's biggest reveal.

You've seen the Cyberpunk 2077 demo by now. After keeping it behind closed doors at E3, the Polish developer suddenly released the entire thing on YouTube. It was a power move by a studio aware of how anticipated this follow-up to The Witcher 3 is, and the video is now sitting at over ten million views: figures usually reserved for Rockstar games.

When I sit down in a cavernous boardroom in the studio's Warsaw headquarters to see the game, I'm aware it's the same demo. But the difference is, this one is just for me. The developer manning the controller tells me he's relieved there's no time limit, no queues of hundreds of people waiting eagerly outside, and he takes the opportunity to give me a slower, more detailed demonstration, stopping to take a closer look at things. It's a game world that aches to be studied and scrutinised, with a cluttered, lived-in feel that few virtual worlds manage to accomplish this well.

One of the most striking things about the game's setting, Night City, is how vibrant it is compared to the dark, rain-soaked dystopias usually associated with the genre. Cyberpunk 2077 is set in a future California, and writer Stanislaw Swiecicki tells me that the studio is going to great lengths to capture the Golden State's distinctive atmosphere.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

The demo video looked great, at least parts I watched. I just hope there's a lot of interactivity and it's not all just decorative. I also hope the game isn't a cutscene simulator and there's some genuinely cool pen-and-paper stuff involved. They did say they're sticking to the pen-and-paper rules so I'm interested in that. I'm hoping it's similar to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in terms of NPC interaction.

hope they differentiate between philosophy / values / vice and story telling.
its the same as applauding a song that is aesthetically pleasing, and rimes well, but it talks about romantic problems

its the same as applauding a song that is aesthetically pleasing, and rimes well, but it talks about romantic problems

"But"? I don'y see any clash there. Care to explain?

If this ends up as it should be and I'm certain it will, this game will overshadow even the Witchers...

The potential is through the roof, though I'm not a fan of the fact that it'll play like an FPS. I haven't read anything about systems similar to VATS or Mass Effect's RTwP type of thing, which means the actual gameplay could be an issue. I tend to get bored of shooters.

giphy.gif

Well I guess you could hire a dirtgirl and talk her about philosophical issues in this game. :)

The demo video looked great, at least parts I watched. I just hope there's a lot of interactivity and it's not all just decorative. I also hope the game isn't a cutscene simulator and there's some genuinely cool pen-and-paper stuff involved. They did say they're sticking to the pen-and-paper rules so I'm interested in that. I'm hoping it's similar to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in terms of NPC interaction.

Calling it cutscene simulator is a bit like saying Pathfinder/BG/IE games are "book simulators".
From what we've seen/they said, they're going for the most directly involving gameplay, in terms of quests/player agency, integration of mechanics/in the setting, and action/interactive dialogue system.

I wish it was a cutscene simulator for PC.
But it won't be released only on PC which means lesser visual quality with UI restrictions due to mushrooms limitation or 4buttons QTE (2.0). My greatest fear is possible darksouls cloning where you need to grind techsouls or something from undying trashmobs to win bosses.

All that aside, as long as it's not Order 1886 clone, it should be at least mediocre.

If Witcher 3 is anything to go by, it is surely going to be a combinations of pointless gameplay and too many cutscenes.

No way they go for gameplay oriented approach like how Bloodlines did it.

Maybe Obsidian's next game has that since it has same people behind it like Bloodlines.

Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt.:worship:

Now if only other developers like Bethesda will ever learn this lesson.

Still you can't teach an old dog a new trick.:biggrin:

If they can even port a little portion of the stellar vibes from the Witcher series, they'll have a huge hit on their hands. Like others, the cyberpunk genre isn't my absolute favourite, but if done well I can easily overlook that part for good combat and exploration possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom