Grim Dawn - Preview @ RPGCodex

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RPG Codex has a new hands-on preview of Grim Dawn.
I encountered only a few bugs while playing, which is really quite impressive for an Alpha. With major studios like Bethesda releasing so called AAA games that don’t even work properly and have endless supplies of game breaking bugs, it’s something Crate should be proud of. Besides the performance problems I noticed only a few consistent issues. Mobs will sometimes lose agro permanently or spawn stuck in the environment, and I’ve had my loot fly off to unreachable areas of the map never to be seen again. All in all however, most bugs being reported seem quite minor and well within the capability of the programmers to solve.

As mentioned before, multiplayer was not ready for the Alpha, but it could quite possibly be what the Beta phase is reserved for. For me, all I care about is that the game will have LAN play as an option and this has been confirmed by Crate, as they have stated that they most likely will not have the funds to support dedicated servers. This will undoubtedly lead to a swarm of bots and hacked items finding their way into the game. The solution? Find a group of buddies you like playing with and stick to them. It’s always more fun that way anyway.

I think Grim Dawn has the potential to be a very worthy addition to the aRPG genre. While it definitely needs some tweaking and would benefit greatly from a bit of polish, the foundations are here for something quite special. It’s got that old school vibe to it, but it’s been mixed together with modern mechanics, some pretty impressive visuals and a great soundtrack. If you’re looking for something revolutionary, you most certainly won’t find it here, but if you’re in need of a deep action role playing experience without online requirements, pay to win/free to play models, or childish WoW style graphics this should most definitely be on your watch list. Hats off to the Crate team for what they’ve achieved already.
More information.

"With major studios like Bethesda releasing so called AAA games that don’t even work properly and have endless supplies of game breaking bugs"

Are you sure this was RPG Codex and not Joxer.;)

"With major studios like Bethesda releasing so called AAA games that don’t even work properly and have endless supplies of game breaking bugs"

Are you sure this was RPG Codex and not Joxer.;)
Could be who knows they use so many alts it's hard to tell. I know he will love the preview that's a fact.:)

I bet if millions of people played this Alpha it wouldn't work for some people either.

Well, it's no secret that the RPG Codex treats most modern mainstream developers (and especially Bethesda) with disdain. But I'm surprised that the preview was so favourable to an action-heavy RPG :D

Maybe the Codex is becoming more progressive? :p

Action RPGs like Diablo are the definition of Decline of the CRPG genre.

In truth they are watered down Roguelikes without perma-death.

I tried to love Titan Quest - got bored after 30 hours of playing - never finished it.
Same with Sacred 2, Diablo 2, Torchlight … these games are not made for me.

Grim Dawn works with enemy leveling (in ranges). Such a feature has to be tuned very well to work satisfactorily.

Back
Top Bottom