Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms - Deluxe Edition

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
BitComposer & Games Farm sent out information you can now buy the Digital Deluxe Edition of Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms. As usual here is the full press release.

Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms Digital Deluxe Edition

The edition contains the game along with the soundtrack and DLC

Eschborn, January 15th, 2015: Today, bitComposer and Games Farm release the Digital Deluxe Edition of Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms on Steam. The digital special edition contains the game along with the soundtrack and additional game content in the form of a DLC with three additional quests (The Tholean Tablet, The Owl Amulet, The Scorpion King). The Digital Deluxe Edition of Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms is available now at a price of $34.99 on Steam. Of course, the basic version is also still available in stores and on Steam for $29.99.

Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms is the next chapter in the Heretic Kingdoms saga and takes place 20 years after the events of Kult: Heretic Kingdoms. It’s an epic adventure with challenging gameplay, a gripping storyline and enchanting graphics. In this isometric action RPG, the player takes on the role of the Devourer, a demon that swallows the souls of the dead and then brings them back into the mortal realm as his puppets. It's up to him to either thwart a major threat and save the world, or to plunge it into complete disaster…

Key Features of Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms

Switch between the shadow world and the human world
Extensive freedom of choice, affecting the course of the game
Dynamic day-night cycle and detailed location designs
Gripping storyline in a world full of myths, destinies and legendary creatures
Unique party system

Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms is on Steam for Windows PCs at a price of €29.99.

More information at www.shadows-game.com, or directly from the Steam Shop page at: http://store.steampowered.com/app/256030/
More information.

Plus the game turned out not so good. Despite what they imagined, would have loved to accomplish, I'm sure.

This has to be a new low, and I hope a website such as RPGWatch can bring this issue to light, especially for those potentially interested in the game. As someone who purchased the early access version of the game, I'll try to resume some of the things this developer and publisher has done with this game:

-first, they started selling the game on early access;
-then, they removed content from the game, content that was part of the early access version, and without any warning made it exclusive to the retail version; this content included several quests, a boss, and a number of items; those who bought the game digitally, even those who first bought it on early access, found themselves unable to complete certain quests, and progress through a certain part of the game, because the developers simply put a gate in the game, and only those who bought the retail version were able to progress;
here's a topic where people started querying the developer on how to progress through the game, only to be told "sorry, but that part is bonus content for the retail version":
http://steamcommunity.com/app/256030/discussions/0/624075566900787855/
-now, the developer and publisher sends this press release, and makes a digital deluxe edition of the game available digitally (which includes the previously removed content), and makes it a separate purchase, with no upgrade option for past buyers. So, if you want this "new" content, content that was first in the game, and then removed, you are expected to purchase a different edition of the game, on top of the version of the game you previously purchased.

Hopefully, developers and publishers will start being called out for this practices, which are quite simply insane, and extremely anti-consumer.

This has to be a new low, and I hope a website such as RPGWatch can bring this issue to light, especially for those potentially interested in the game. As someone who purchased the early access version of the game, I'll try to resume some of the things this developer and publisher has done with this game:

-first, they started selling the game on early access;
-then, they removed content from the game, content that was part of the early access version, and without any warning made it exclusive to the retail version; this content included several quests, a boss, and a number of items; those who bought the game digitally, even those who first bought it on early access, found themselves unable to complete certain quests, and progress through a certain part of the game, because the developers simply put a gate in the game, and only those who bought the retail version were able to progress;
here's a topic where people started querying the developer on how to progress through the game, only to be told "sorry, but that part is bonus content for the retail version":
-now, the developer and publisher sends this press release, and makes a digital deluxe edition of the game available digitally (which includes the previously removed content), and makes it a separate purchase, with no upgrade option for past buyers. So, if you want this "new" content, content that was first in the game, and then removed, you are expected to purchase a different edition of the game, on top of the version of the game you previously purchased.

Hopefully, developers and publishers will start being called out for this practices, which are quite simply insane, and extremely anti-consumer.

I never bought anything on early access but I was under the impression that early access people go the full retail version upon release? Are you saying that not the case for this game or all games in general?

I never bought anything on early access but I was under the impression that early access people go the full retail version upon release? Are you saying that not the case for this game or all games in general?
Those who buy games on Early Access get the full game on release.

But what this developer and publisher has done is, they released the game on Early Access with certain content, and then, on release, locked out those who previously bought the game from that same content, and made it exclusive to those who bought the retail edition.

Today, they made this content available digitally through the purchase of a new edition, with no option for past buyers to upgrade to this so-called digital deluxe edition.

You keep saying developer and publisher. This was 100% publisher and the developer did NOT want this to happen.

And you say that, based on what?
It's easy to shift the blame to the publisher. Certainly, the developer, when they sign a contract, agree on certain terms. If they agree on doing this, aren't they also to blame?
Especially since, reading the several replies of the developer on the Steam forums, they are apologetic not for doing this (on the contrary, they see this as not a big deal, since they consider several quests, an exclusive boss, and certain items, minor content), but for not clearly pointing in-game, on your quest log, that these quests are bonus content exclusive to the retail edition.

And I do read this news post, and see the following: «BitComposer & Games Farm sent out information».
Considering this joint announcement is for a new edition of the game, one that includes the content that, again, was part of the early access version, and then removed on launch, with no upgrade option available to past buyers (currently, only by paying full price again do we get to play this content), I have a hard time not blaming the developer in all of this.

But fine, excluding the developer from this, my point still stands: a game was sold as early access (without any info that a different release would be available on release, with more content), it included certain content, then on release, and without any warning or information, that content was removed and made exclusive to the retail edition of the game. To make matters worse, the content was no hastily removed that you are given these quests, and have no way to complete them, because you are unable to progress on certain points.
As an answer to complaints, and as this news posts publicizes, a new digital edition of the game was made available, with the removed content. The problem is, there is no upgrade option, nor discounts for those who already bought the game. So, in order to finish certain quests, and play certain content, apparently they are expecting people to buy the game again.

Well the only difference with this edition is the DLC and the soundtrack. Evey buyer of the original game will still be getting the second half of the game for free.

Anyway I don't agree with removal of content either, but they wouldn't be the first developer or publisher who do this. Go complain on their forum as it's more effective.

Update: As I told a few other new members before we a have a thing called first impressions FunktionJCB , and you failed newbie so I'm done replying to you.

Last edited:
Well the only difference with this edition is the DLC and the soundtrack. Evey buyer of the original game will still be getting the second half of the game for free.
I'm sorry, but what does getting the second half of the game has to do with this?
If someone reads your comment, it makes it look like the second part of the game is some sort of post-release support, or free content, when in fact what they did is they split up the promised content, and decided a while back to split the game in two parts, and are supposedly releasing the rest of the game in the future. I say supposedly, because considering they also promised a free copy of Kult: Heretic Kingdoms months ago, and still nothing, and considering the publisher filled for bankruptcy (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/232426/Publisher_Bitcomposer_files_for_bankruptcy.php) I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway I don't agree with removal of content either, but they wouldn't be the first developer or publisher who do this. Go complain on their forum as it's more effective.
Can you please let me know what developer removed content from a game after it being in the hands of gamers (I don't mean removing content from a game before release, to sell it as DLC after release), to then make it available only with retail copies? And then releasing it digitally, not as DLC, not as an upgrade, but as a separate, "deluxe" edition, so that previous buyers have to pay full price again, in order to get that content?
Can you please let me know how many RPGs have you played in which you get certain quests, NPCs tell you to go certain places, kill certain creatures, take certain quest items, and when you try to do so you get a gate, and are unable to progress, and after wandering for hours trying to progress, you go ask a developer and they tell you "sorry, that is bonus content part of the retail edition"?
Read a few topics of fellow gamers:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/256030/discussions/0/624075566986169968/

I posted on this topic, because RPGWatch just advertised this new edition of the game (the way I found out about it), and I thought potential customers should be aware of what the people behind the game, or at least its publishing, did, and continue to do, to their customers who bought the game.
And since this is certainly the worse thing I ever saw done in an RPG, in terms of content removal/exclusivity (especially since, again, this content was in the game, gamers got to play it, and was then removed, unless you bought the retail edition), I was seriously hoping RPGWatch could post something about it, to warrant some discussion, and hopefully prevent similar things from happening in future titles.

Instead, you tell me to go complain on their forums.
Of course I will do so, but I can't help but feel disappointed that, for example, the "Dead State - DoubleBear Review Controversy" (in which a developer supposedly deleted a bad review, or bad comments, from a customer) warrants a post, but a publisher (and developer) who does this doesn't warrant a mention, or a passing warning, from you.

Fyi there was a long thread on steam where the developer explained what happened and why ... If you would take the time to do a bit of research you would see what happened and why... The developer has been very quick to respond to issues and make fixes and given the consistency of his posts I believe he is doing what he can as well as he can. Quite frankly give the guy a break....

Pretty much how it works with most publisher funded games is that the developer signs away the rights to their game to be funded and they have to do what the publisher says with the game. If the publisher wants to cut content out and sell it as dlc or something the developer has to do it or brake the contract.

@FunktionJCB: I support you bringing this information to us. Don't get worked up by some of the people here that support devs/publishers more than gamer when ever it is 50/50 situation or close.

Just present the info and let the readers decide what it what.

@FunktionJCB: I support you bringing this information to us. Don't get worked up by some of the people here that support devs/publishers more than gamer when ever it is 50/50 situation or close.

Just present the info and let the readers decide what it what.
Thanks for the support. ;)

Imagine buying a game early to support the development of a sequel to another game you own, playing certain content, then they release the 1.0 update and remove access to this content, and make it an exclusive to another release, without prior warning or information (obviously, those who bought the early access version had no info that another version would be released, with additional content for the same price, otherwise I doubt most would have picked it up).
So, in-game, you get quests, and quest items, and are unable to complete them because the developer simply locked out digital customers of this content.
And to make matters worse, they have the nerve to release this content as a digital deluxe edition (as per this press release), not as a DLC or upgrade option, so that you have to purchase the full game again in order to play the missing quests and fight the missing boss, the content you were playing before a certain game update.

I honestly never saw a move such as this being pulled. And I'm unaware of any RPG where you get certain quests, and are unable to complete them because you don't have a certain edition.
I know some companies, like Bioware, have exclusive quests to certain editions (usually released later on as DLC) but in-game you never get these quests. In this game, you get them, make certain progression, and then, too bad, you are out of luck.

But apparently, according to what I've been reading, this is all ok. And the poor developer, who has been downplaying this content, should be given a break.
Now if this was Bethesda releasing horse armor, that would be worthy of discussion. :biggrin:

Update: As I told a few other new members before we a have a thing called first impressions FunktionJCB , and you failed newbie so I'm done replying to you.
I don't understand this update you've done to your post.

Yes, I recently registered (or better, re-registered; I'm sure I registered years ago as Funktion, but since using the recover password didn't work, either the account was deleted, because on inactivity, or it was under an old email address I no longer have access to), and generally I'm not one to usually post a lot on game forums.
But, how does this make what I posted any more or less valid?

I'm a visitor of this website since its creation, and just because I wasn't an active, registered poster, I'm "a failed newbie", so you are done replying to me? All this after you replied to me exactly once, and I wasn't rude to you in any way.

I'm not going to continue this discussion, since there's not more I can add, and it wasn't my intention to upset anyone.
I simply was hoping RPGWatch could bring to light what was done with this game, so that hopefully it might dissuade it from happening to other future titles.
Like I said, I saw your announcement of this new edition, which will get access to the content I had in my game, but later on was removed (and past buyers are asked to buy another full version of the game, in order to have access to this content, which again, aren't merely cosmetic, but several quests, items, and a exclusive boss fight and enemies), and posted describing what happened to those, like me, who were unfortunate to buy the game on early access.

I must say that if I bought Early Access and they removed content I had access to so they can sell it to me again I would be pissed a lot. This is kind of thing that warrants Steam itself looking into this as it brings down the reputation of their Early Access program.

My suggestion is just that, go to Steam directly with this.

There you go again saying shit. Can't you understand the difference between developer and publisher... probably not..

Thanks for the support. ;)

So, in-game, you get quests, and quest items, and are unable to complete them because the developer simply locked out digital customers of this content.
:biggrin:

There you go again saying shit. Can't you understand the difference between developer and publisher… probably not..
Again, I'm not going to continue with this, since I have nothing further to add, and believe it or not I have better things to do than to argue with someone online.
I posted on this news topic because of the reasons I previously explained, I did so, and for me the issue is done.

But I just want to point out to you that, instead of insulting someone, you could think a bit about what you post beforehand. If you read what I posted, you would see you are wrong: it was the developer that locked users out of this content, not the publisher. You may say that it was because the publisher demanded so, but certainly it wasn't the publisher who did the coding, or in this case, coded a gate in-game to restrict this content, and that was what I wrote. As admitted by the developer on the Steam forums, it was them, because the publisher asked them to have some sort of exclusive for the retail edition (and instead of doing new content, they took previously available content and locked it out). The even say so in the posts I linked to.

Back
Top Bottom