Anyone in Dubai?

POLYGON

Heavy Smoker
I waited for the Lebanese airport to open flights and jumped at the first plane to travel to the UAE in Dubai. I already signed a contract with a company and will work as Admin Assistant(although I am in IT!).
Anyways, anybody has been here before? It is very different from Lebanon. It's full of towers, malls(not that they interest me) and people.
I've never seen a place where mixed nationalities live in one place. And believe it or not, I am yet to see a local Emirate!!!In poor districts you'll think it's India while in rich regions of the city you'll think it's England.
I'll start work this Sunday, Anybody lives there?

PS Electricity is 24/7(unlike Lebanon).

while in rich regions of the city you'll think it's England.

Does it rain a lot down there? :biggrin:

Never been in Dubai or UAE, but near living near Antwerp will let you see a lot of nationalities too. Strange thing that such a small town (ok, big by Belgian standards) has more similarities with the larger cities then the equal size ones of other countries. Hope your job works out fine over there!

Congrats on your job, Polygon. I've only been to Dubai once, and that was in 1987, and only for one day, so I can't help you there. From what I've heard, though, it seems like a pretty nice place. Perhaps I'll show up there too -- we have a project starting up there, so my company might send me there on business. :)

Congratulations, POLYGON, especially on the 24/7 electricity. :)
Never had a chance to go there, or probably ever will, but I saw a documentary on Dubai(when they were building their islands offshore) and it looked like an amazing place, very multi-cultural and progressive. Let us know how it goes.

Well thanks guys:)
I don't really advise anyone to come in the summer it's freakin hot, and the traffic is insane..and what about those taxis, today I stood for 2 hours to catch a cab, it's a real problem..
BTW I have 2 bosses, a Belgian and a German. Today I spole with Nicola the Belgian, he seems nice, I hope he stays so

BTW I have 2 bosses, a Belgian and a German. Today I spole with Nicola the Belgian, he seems nice, I hope he stays so

The Belgian one, is he French speaking or Dutch speaking? When I hear his name, my guess is that he's French speaking.
This doesn't matter weather your boss is good or not, but I just like to know. If he's Dutch speaking, perhaps I(and some others here too) can help you communicate with him.

The Belgian one, is he French speaking or Dutch speaking? When I hear his name, my guess is that he's French speaking.
This doesn't matter weather your boss is good or not, but I just like to know. If he's Dutch speaking, perhaps I(and some others here too) can help you communicate with him.

Well, I don't know he speaks perfect english. His full name is Nicolas Bruylants, and I barely know him I just spoke with him on the phone. Anyways, once I know if he's French or Dutch speaking I'll let you know so maybe you can give me hints in dealing with him.:)

Ha, the year of my birth. I try to highlight that whenever possible.

@POLYGON, it would be great if you could take some photos of the city and how the development of it is progressing. Burj Dubai is some really beautiful architecture.
Congratulations with your new work (and life) too!

Bartacus said:
This doesn't matter weather your boss is good or not, but I just like to know.

Has it really reached that point in Belgium?

POLYGON, I just saw this story about the first "building in motion" to be built in Dubai and thought of you. It looks extremely cool:

The spinning floors, hung like rings around an immobile cement core, would offer residents a constantly changing view of the Persian Gulf and Dubai's futuristic skyline.

dubaitower.jpg

I haven't been there myself, but I do know several people who have been there. I heard it was not a nice place to be a woman, but that could have changed by now?

Otherwise they have a lot of shoppings malls and fanastic buildings, and expensive places. The main reason people go there is that you can earn tons of money!

Good luck Polygon, and let us know how your life their progress, and your thoughts about the place!

POLYGON, I just saw this story about the first "building in motion" to be built in Dubai and thought of you. It looks extremely cool:

dubaitower.jpg

First time I hear about it, looks interesting

I haven't been there myself, but I do know several people who have been there. I heard it was not a nice place to be a woman, but that could have changed by now?

Otherwise they have a lot of shoppings malls and fanastic buildings, and expensive places. The main reason people go there is that you can earn tons of money!

Good luck Polygon, and let us know how your life their progress, and your thoughts about the place!

It definitely changed, a woman is free to do what she wants now in Dubai, but in other emirates there are some restrictions.

Honestly, when I arrived I was really blown away by the place. The malls, the towers and everything, but that goes away after a while. I found out that it's kinda of a an artificial beauty. Maybe coming from a very naturally beautiful country(Lebanon) has to do something with this feeling. Also, the traffic, be it rush hour or not, is just awful, and sometimes it takes like 2 hours standing under the hot sun to find a taxi which is terrible. I recently applied for a driving license, I discovered that I need to take 40 obligatory driving lessons and pay for them no matter how good I drive.
On the bright side, people in Dubai, as GG said earn tons of tax-free money:)

Back
Top Bottom