Quantcast
The Forest: Anyone try this thing? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » The Forest: Anyone try this thing?

Default The Forest: Anyone try this thing?

August 24th, 2017, 18:25
Survival game with cannibals instead of zombies. You are an airplane crash survivor left for dead. You wake up before the cannibals get back to take you to lunch However, they have your child, Timmy.

So this is a build/scavenge/craft game with combat. The game starts off with the cannibals not bothering you much because they're filling up on your co-passengers. As the days progress though, they'll start trying to add you to the menu. You need to build a base and some fortifications before you can start looking for Timmy. Typical fare.

This game has been in early access for years but it being actively worked on. It isn't nearly as polished as 7 Days to Die, which is a much better game at this point in time. However, it has some really pretty graphics for a jungle-island theme and is worth playing.

You'll eventually learn that they hide the best stuff from the plane in caves, so you'll need to start looking in these once you get a decent base going. You'll try to find other survivors along with looking for your son. I haven't found any and assume everyone is dead, including the boy, but I don't know that for sure. I do find bodies and have a passenger manifest to scratch off the names as I go along. Macabre fun!

Unlike 7D2D, this has no skills or abilities. The only increase is through crafting. You can upgrade weapons and eventually armor to have better effects. You can build stronger fences and bigger homes as you upgrade storage, etc.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 24th, 2017, 18:28
Wait, if you don't find anyone, and want to have some sex, I mean, it's a survival game right, well what do you do?
Hunt then rape cannibals? Or devise necrophilia due to plenty of bodies around?

This is not ment to mock you. This is ment to question all those developers whose products should be called randomgenerator frigid sims, not survival.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

August 24th, 2017, 23:49
tongue in cheek-

Well, there is a stewardess' body as soon as you wake up. It "might" still be warm. I'm not sure how long you are unconscious before you wake up….

These games aren't real deep, but they're better than all the RPG Maker clones and the anime child-sex fantasies like Final Fantasy 600 or whatever.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 25th, 2017, 00:22
Erm… Actually there is no sex in Final Fantasies. Especially not "hentai". Those characters don't know what that is I guess. I wonder how they got born in the first place.

Perhaps that's why I don't like those FF games much, all you do there is grind grind grind, and no option to blow off the steam caused by repetition.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

August 26th, 2017, 15:18
I was just looking at the web page, discovering its "veganmode". I like that.

And I like their entry from the FAQ :

Why don’t you guys give more regular updates?

We are a very small team working tirelessly to get the game finished. We get carried away making the game.
--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » The Forest: Anyone try this thing?