Baldur's Gate 1 EE Blocked

Heya,

I'm going through a run of Baldur's Gate 1 Enhanced Edition, and I'm stuck at a point, and I think I may have gliched my main quest. I haven't played BG1 before, so I might be missing something. But I can't for the life of me figure it out. So maybe someone who know's it better can figure it out?

As part of the main quest, I've cleared the Nashkel mines, killed Mulaney in them mines(or whatever his name is). I got the letter letting me to visit the Inn in Beregost. But I went there, and killed the guy in the inn before going to talk with Emerson at the mine, to let him know I cleared them. I'm not sure if this should cause issues, but I'm suspecting that it maybe did.

So, after I killed the guy at the Inn in Beregost, and got the location of Tarzok (who apparently is responsible for the iron corruption issues), I went back to Emerson, at the mine entrance, and he told me I did good, and to go back to the mayor to get my reward (he didn't give me anything mind you). Going back to the mayor, he currently tells me to bring proof that I cleared the mines.

I'm not sure what proof he's referring to. As I said, I didn't get anything from Emerson. And I've got on me various letters between the conspirators which poisoned the iron, and the mysterious liquid which seems to have been used to poison.

Am I stuck? Did I miss anything? Guides and other google hasn't helped. I haven't seen anything similarly being reported

I'm not sure what I did, but I went back ingame, and went back to one of the inns where I sold some stuff, and I picked up some letters that I threw out. They seemed to be about the iron ore contamination, but I don't think they were integral to the quest.

But I then went back to the mayor and he told me he heard about my doings at the mines, and I finished the quest. I'm sad I didn't try him again before retrieving those letters. Because I suspect, the reload might have fixed the bug? But now I'll never know. Anyways, I can at least continue my playthrough.

The continue the main quest you just need to follow the Tarzok's trail from what I remember.

The Mayor's proof is either Mulaney's holy symbol or the letter he had on his body after you killed him.

Pro tip: never sell or otherwise dispose of any letters, books, or unusual items. You most likely need them for a quest. And besides, you sell them for 1g, not very much at any point in the game.

The continue the main quest you just need to follow the Tarzok's trail from what I remember.

The Mayor's proof is either Mulaney's holy symbol or the letter he had on his body after you killed him.

Oh, so it seems it was something I picked up after dropping it. Damn, so it means I was this close to breaking my save. I dropped both the holy symbol and the letter.

But just between you and me, why is the symbol proof for the mayor? :D

Ivanwah said:
Pro tip: never sell or otherwise dispose of any letters, books, or unusual items. You most likely need them for a quest. And besides, you sell them for 1g, not very much at any point in the game.

Yeah, I forgot I was playing an old-school rpg, where you're not hand-held to not break your game. I need to keep this in mind. I have no issue with keeping items, but they take up space from regular items.

I guess I need to choose some chest in the game, and dump everything I think might break my game, in case I need to get it back.

Thanks for the info guys.

But just between you and me, why is the symbol proof for the mayor? :D

I guess because Mulahey was a cleric who would have such a symbol. Plus didn't one of the letters implicate him?

Yeah, I forgot I was playing an old-school rpg, where you're not hand-held to not break your game. I need to keep this in mind. I have no issue with keeping items, but they take up space from regular items.

You should eventually come across a Bag of Holding that will allow you to hold multiple items in 1 inventory spot. There are also scroll cases that let you stash a bunch of scrolls. Those things were introduced in BG2 in the original releases, but I believe they're in all the Enhanced Editions.

Bag of gems, potion case and scrollcase are all in BG:EE, the bag of holding requires using the console or waiting for Siege of Dragonspear.

Not really. That stuff was introduced later. The EE introduced some additional ones via the new companions, but the original had very little of that.

What I like doing is having designated characters: A weak character to hold quest items (they often weigh very little), a strong character to carry armor/weapons, a wizard or cleric to carry scrolls and a thief to carry the stuff I want to sell. The reason for the latter is simply because they do the most looting after sneaking around/disarming stuff, and I sell most of the stuff I get.

Yup that's exactly how I did it in Baldur's gate the first, my poor mage got stuck with every single book, scroll, or light random item might possibly be some later quest item. Poor mage and his overstuffed satchel. =xxx

Back
Top Bottom