How to become a pro and pwn shooters

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
While I'm sure 99.99% of watchers already know everything about the topic, it's still great read as a reminder.
http://www.pcgamer.com/aim-training/

A few paragraphs:
First things first: your skill is only as good as your gear can handle, and the two most important pieces of hardware when it comes to aiming are your mouse and mousepad. Luckily, mouse sensor technology has advanced to the point that you can get an accurate rodent without breaking the bank. Things to consider include DPI capabilities, weight, and button layout. We, and the pro players we've talked to, generally recommend simpler, lighter mice. For shooters, you likely only need one or two thumb buttons for core abilities, and a lighter mouse is easier to quickly whip around the mousepad.
As we debunked in our list of gaming mouse myths, higher DPI on your mouse is not always better. Some mice will actually perform worse at their highest DPI settings, and a DPI in the settings will translate minute physical movements into huge, hard-to-control cursor movements. It can also be confusing deciding what DPI setting to use in your mouse's driver software and what sensitivity setting to use in a game. In general, it's best to pick a DPI you're comfortable with in Windows, then hone in on the right aim feel in-game.
Once you've found a sensitivity that feels natural to you, it's time to work on your muscle memory. Flickshots, in particular, rely on muscle memory, but it comes into play in all parts of FPS play, whether it's moving around the map, spinning to hit an enemy behind you, or flicking to take out a fast-moving flanker.

And one from comments on the article:
or..just cheat

What, you switched to touchscreens?

Hmmm ... I just wanted to write: "I still use the mousepad I used in 1999 - an Everglide with the UT logo", but then I took a look and discovered that I obviously don't. Seems like I've been using the surface of my wooden desk instead. And judging by the layer of dust on the game CDs piled up on the pad, I haven't used the pad in years ...

I'm not the best fps player, but I hold my own quite well even with out harsh training or some special gaming mouse. :)

To me everything after quake 1 has felt more or less slow paced. So my advice is learn to play quake 1 well and then you can master any shooter with ease. Only series which I consider more difficult than quake 1 is Tribes. Tribes games are likely the most fast paced shooters out there. So learn to play those games well and you can master every cod clone with ease.

Back
Top Bottom