RPGWatch - Official Game of the Decade Voting

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Update: You can no longer vote for this.

Now that we have closed our Game of the Year awards, it is time for the very first Game of the Decade and obviously we mean RPGish Game of the Decade. Our very own lackblogger has volunteered to do all the heavy lifting and process all your votes into a list that shows what the role playing game of the decade is.

Here is what each voter has to do:

Imagine your own personal Games of the Decade list and PM it to lackblogger. There are no rules regarding form or content, lackblogger will sort it all out in the wash.

What he wants is for everyone to just PM him their list of personal nominations.

you can vote for just one game. you can vote for 809 games, it makes no difference to him.

You can say in the PM how you want the weighting for each game you list. you can do a personal top 10, a personal top 100, or say you want every game on your list to be equally weighted, or you can provide tiers, you can provide the info in any way that you like, lackblogger will sort it all out so it all still works.

This main thread for the vote is an official RPGWatch vote thread but this thread will only be used for people to ask questions and advertise what they voted for, only PM'ed votes will count.

Questions about the poll should not be PM'ed to lackblogger, that's what the thread will be for. Questions sent as PMs will not be answered. If someone gets all spammy you'll be warned that you will be reported... and then be reported if you continue to spam him.

People will be allowed to change their vote right up until the last minute.

Voters will have to be prepared to get PMs back if thre are questions about their specific selections, such as vagaries, typos, versions, etc.

The list of 809 games from the RPGWatch database can be found here, for people to use as a guide to jog their memories if needed, but it wont link to any voting forms or anything.

The list of games is just a dump from the RPGWatch database and there are situations which might be confusing, for example, Divinity 2 was released in 2009, so can't be voted for, yet Divinity II: Flames of Vengeance and Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga were released in 2010. If you vote for one, do you also vote for the other, or arre you secretly voting for Divinity 2 or not? We have set no rules for anything that could be confusing, like this. Just send your votes and explain what you meant with your votes to lackblogger and it is up to him to sort it all out.

Voting will close on 28th February 2020 at midnight in Tonga.
I assume that given the fact that lackblogger needs to be PMed that it is clear you need to be a registered member of RPGWatch.

Once the voting has been closed, expect lackblogger to come up with a complex algorithm that includes all the possible variables, which will result in a list that we will then name the official RPGWatch Game of the Decade list.

Happy voting!

More information.

Meh to much work sorry man. Good luck to others though.:biggrin:

How much work can it be to think of a few games?

It was a joke with some sarcasm thrown in.:)

Don't worry I have over twenty games to send.

Alpha Protocol
ATOM RPG - Post-apocalyptic indie game
Dragon Age - Inquisition
Fallout: New Vegas
Fallout 4
GreedFall
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect - Andromeda
The Outer Worlds
The Age of Decadence
Dead State
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY
Torment - Tides of Numenera
Tyranny
UnderRail
Wasteland 2 Director's Cut
Grim Dawn
Pillars of Eternity
Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Dragon’s Dogma

Oof, I will have to think hard about this one. The first one that pops into my mind is The Witcher 3, but I know quite a few good games were released in the last decade. Skyrim, D: OS2 etc.

Yep. Will have to think on this.

@Myrthos;, instructions unclear.
Do we send to lackblogger
a) the actual votes or
b) the candidates for a shortlist that later will be voted on?

I'm not entirely sure what it is that makes it unclear, so I would like to hear from you what it is, so that I can perhaps make the text better. I never use the word shortlist, but am using the word voting a number of times.

So, it is about the actual voting, we are not making a short list.

you can provide the info in any way

Okay, that sounds very promising. Now I'm tempted to submit my list as Binary Cant, Sindarin, or Klingon. Unfortunately, I speak neither of those, so I'll stick to English. [Maybe with all letters in arbitrary order… ?]

;)

A more serious suggestion: Maybe add a link to lackbloggers PM box, so that it is easier for people to navigate? That is, with this link:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=24637

Another suggestion: since no rules are applied in that way, someone might have to look out for suspicious increases in new registrations.

Need clarification

The title says "Game of the Decade" but your post says "role playing game of the decade"

The rules are clear, you can vote for whatever you want. Vote for Super Mario Bros for the NES in 1985 if you want.

… It just depends how much you want to embarrass yourself and this site… and that's entirely your choice...

Okay, that sounds very promising. Now I'm tempted to submit my list as Binary Cant, Sindarin, or Klingon. Unfortunately, I speak neither of those, so I'll stick to English. [Maybe with all letters in arbitrary order… ?]

cham ta' qu.

I don't get all these "something of the decade" awards, not only in gaming industry. The current decade ends on December 31st 2020, so it's far too early for such summaries.

My nominations (pm sent) are in no particular order:

Might and Magic X
Lords of Xulima
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Elex
Kingdom Come: Deliverence
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Divinity Original Sin 2
Stranger of Sword City
Battle Brothers
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Pillars of Eternity
Pillars of Eternity 2
Wasteland 3
Legends of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Legends of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Grim Dawn
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Last edited:
I shall be voting for:

Blackguards (2014)
Lords of Xulima (2014)
Drakensang: The River of Time (2010)
Dragon Age: Origins: Awakenings (2010)
Eschalon Book II (2010)
Serpents in the Staglands (2015)
King's Bounty: Crossworlds (2010)
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition (2014)
The Banner Saga (first one)

And if there's any room left at the bottom of the list:

Paper Sorceror (2013)
Path of Exile (2013)
Avadon: The Black Fortress (2011)
Shadowrun Returns (2013)

I don't get all these "something of the decade" awards, not only in gaming industry. The current decade ends on December 31st 2020, so it's far too early for such summaries.

Its not that people are doing decades wrong, it's that the very first decade was wrong by only having 9 years.

Dec means ten, it's a counting system whereby the base is reset every 10th, meaning that a complete 10 is 0-9, to which the base then steps in and gives us a one plus a zero.

It's the one plus the zero which marks the beginning of a new dec, that's the whole point of the base system.

Only votes by PM count, if you wish to change your vote in anyway you have to use an official PM, I shan't be monitoring the thread to check on people editing their posts or the like. You are allowed to change your vote whenever you like though, so don't worry and don't panic, you've still got weeks to remember stuff and make any amendments.

Its not that people are doing decades wrong, it's that the very first decade was wrong by only having 9 years.

Dec means ten, it's a counting system whereby the base is reset every 10th, meaning that a complete 10 is 0-9, to which the base then steps in and gives us a one plus a zero.

It's the one plus the zero which marks the beginning of a new dec, that's the whole point of the base system.

Nonsense. The term "decade" clearly predates the reckoning of years we have AND the decimal system. It's just what it says, 10 years. So, the first decade of our reckoning is just that, the first ten years, followed by the second and third. If that happens not to fit your decimals, too bad, but just as with centuries and millennia, it doesn't change anything.
Alas, there is something that always beats logic, and that is the (mental) laziness of people...

Back
Top Bottom