RPGWatch Feature - Game of the Decade 2010-2019

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The votes are in and after doing some magic (which might or might not include rolling a dice), lackblogger has come up with a list of 50 games, with a clear winner.

So check out the list of games that made it into the top 50 of our Game of the Decade 2010-2019.

More information.

Wateland 2
:D

A great list. Yes I could nitpick a few places but won't, said before I need a list for RPG newcomers who ask what to play next and don't have the same taste as me - and this list will do a perfect job.
I find it 100 times better (or should I say realistic?) than top lists mainstream shills made.

Yep, can't se any bad game on that list (well, I'm not a fan of Skyrim but to each his own).

Good job to us, and good rest to Lackblogger.

Wasteland 2 on the Top 5... UGH.

Wasteland 2 was fantastic. Good list. I was not a huge Witcher 3 fan but it deserves it's place.

I look at the decade and say it was a healthy one for crpg's. I wonder which decade people would vote the best for crpg's? I would say the 1990's but that could be nostalgia based.

Has felipepepe ever said anything good on this site that wasn't about his book? ;)

Don't worry about him. He noticed Neo Scavenger didn't make a place on the list so he had to find the culprit. ;)

Which decade was the best for crpgs - the answer is easy, it's the current one. We'll get more titles than total in the past, we'll get enormous variety of design and we'll get what was not previously possible due to technology progress. :D

WL2 was decent, but top 5? Absolutely not :)

But that's how we all differ. W3 being GotD doesn't surprise me.

I'm personally more into games than play-your-own-adventures-through-dialogues, though.

Which decade was the best for crpgs - the answer is easy, it's the current one. We'll get more titles than total in the past, we'll get enormous variety of design and we'll get what was not previously possible due to technology progress. :D

And quite frankly, the 2000-2010 decade was shit for cRPG.

Last edited:
Thanks for the effort, @Myrthos; & @lackblogger; .

I think it's a good list. While I of course don't agree with some of the results (especially at the top group) I think these games have been talked about in a good way here at the watch in the past years.

Wasteland 2 was a surprise to me as well, but then when I started to get all the votes for X-Com as well it all started to fit into place. That's a side to the genre that I rarely visit.

Personally I'd really loved to have seen:

Eschalon Book 2
Serpent in the Staglands
Paper Sorcerer

Get at least a 40-50 place and am truly horrified that games like Eisenwald or Darkest Dungeon took up those later spaces.

But then once we get to that position 47-100 then it's pretty much a whole raft of excellent games that all serve a specific niche very well and which ones of those dozens of games managed to snatch that 47 spot was more down to luck that anything, we're talking the difference between votes from just three or four people. Such as Grimrock 2, the Banner Sagas, the Risens, South Parks, and many, many more.

I'm delighted to report that only one person even mentioned Dragon Age 2 but was surprised that only one person mentioned Grimoire. In both cases and for entirely different reasons I was expecting to get lots of votes for these two from the obligatory troll percentage. However, from what I could tell, the voting went almost entirely without even a hint of trolling, which was fab!

So also many thanks to all the voters for giving me something fun to do for a few weeks and not just trolling the crap out of me :)

Well that's.. actually a really good list. Although neither Skyrim nor W3 made my own top 10 I understand perfectly why they placed as high as they did. I can't say I find anything to really complain about. God damn it. Awful job @lackblogger;.

I'm not fan of saying "this game should be higher/lower" when I see a list, which really, is just a list in the end, but I feel Mass Effect 2 has been unfairly treated by our votes this time around. Perhaps because it released too early in the decade for many people to play it or remember it nowadays, perhaps because BioWare has turned sour ever since it was abducted by EA, or perhaps it was just not as good as I'd like to remember, but I had some of the deepest heartfelt moments I've ever experience in a videogame with Mass Effect 2, and I feel it doesn't belong to the 10th+ position. That said, everyone voted,and that is what the recount says, so there is nothing to argue. Just feel like something is not right about it.

Smart putting so many tied games into the list. It avoids a lot of discussion from their backers.

- I loved wasteland 2 but it is a little bit too high in the list indeed.
- Seems PoE 1 was received better than PoE 2 around here (or around the same). I got the impression PoE 2 was much better.

Yes, I certainly could go down that list and play the cRPGs I missed the past decade.

Edit: now I have to cross-reference my votes to this list: points if a game is in the list, extra points if it is at the same (or close to) position, etc. To finally get my personal cRPG score and see how much of a cRPG gamer I actually am.

It's a good list that I think will stand the test of time. All of the games in at least the top 20 should be on every RP-gamers bucket list.

I'm not fan of saying "this game should be higher/lower" when I see a list, which really, is just a list in the end, but I feel Mass Effect 2 has been unfairly treated by our votes this time around. Perhaps because it released too early in the decade for many people to play it or remember it nowadays, perhaps because BioWare has turned sour ever since it was abducted by EA, or perhaps it was just not as good as I'd like to remember, but I had some of the deepest heartfelt moments I've ever experience in a videogame with Mass Effect 2, and I feel it doesn't belong to the 10th+ position. That said, everyone voted,and that is what the recount says, so there is nothing to argue. Just feel like something is not right about it.

Thanks, now I can discuss something! I personally felt ME2 was decent fun, but much more of an Action game with a good story than what I want from an RPG. I actually felt it was a step down from the first game in that regard, although I still found ME2 more fun overall. But it didn't get any votes from me in the same manner games I enjoyed a lot more didn't (like XCOM), it doesn't fit my personal view of what I expect from the title "RPG".

Thank @lackblogger; for organising.
Good and useful list to look at next games to play. I still haven't played the Witcher 3 but I don't like the protagonist so might not play.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

There was no doubt about the winner, but surprised of some of the rankings; original sin 1+2 so high, dark souls so low. If i counted right, finished 36 of those, 4 still need to play(one im doing now) and 9 no interest in.

Ah good game:
I played 32 of those games, and there's 9 I have no interest in.

The only game in my top 9 list that did not make the cut was Enderal. And the four I did not include but were my honorable mentions (Wasteland 2, M&M 10, Dragon Age, Divinity OS) did make the top.

So do I have good taste? Or Community RPGwatch taste?

Still, this list is far superior than the rock, paper what not list. Sadly I have played about 95% of the games. But except for one (cold steel-never heard of it) no new to play list was developed. Except for perhaps Alpha Protocol. That I have both the boxed version and the steam version and yet, there it sits . . .

Back
Top Bottom