Cyberpunk 2077 - Review @ Worth A Buy

I didn't say turn a blind eye but take Bethesda they get a free pass on every one of their open world messes. I still have bugs that weren't fixed except by modders.

Also most games release today as a mess. It take months of patches to fix them. I don't know when this became the new standard. Yet it's the reality of game development.

This is entirely true. I always remember Bethesda game reviews being like "Tons of bugs that will ruin your game but we expected them, 10/10".

There should be a standard on whether bugs should or should not be taken into account. In my opinion, they should be taken into account especially if we are talking game breaking ones.

For Cyberpunk, at its current state I would say most bugs are tolerable. It's some design decisions as I mentioned earlier that "bug" me more :p

This is entirely true. I always remember Bethesda game reviews being like "Tons of bugs that will ruin your game but we expected them, 10/10".

There should be a standard on whether bugs should or should not be taken into account. In my opinion, they should be taken into account especially if we are talking game breaking ones.
Some reviewers don't even mention bugs, as if they were afraid not to be included in the reviewers' cut next time. I've often wondered if that was the reason, or if they were just forgiving.

I think it's important customers know the state of a game on release day, so they could wait if they don't want a ruined experience. On the other hand, reviewers have early builds, so it's not easy for them to estimate the state on release. A review which clearly scores the game's features, and the game's state when it was reviewed, seems fair enough though.

For Cyberpunk, at its current state I would say most bugs are tolerable. It's some design decisions as I mentioned earlier that "bug" me more :p
Yeah, what you described sounds like the goldfish syndrome that was so irritating in GTA V :-/

Individual user scores are useless and utter rubbish. The statistics made using them may reflect many things, one thing being the actual game quality. There are many confounding factors, though.

Not wrong though…Bugs do seem to annoy quite many people and a release is a release. Should be judged accordingly. While I enjoy the game and could perhaps be classified as a CDPR fanboy by mean internet trolls, I hope that the game does not get many game-of-the-year awards. That would just be unfair for devs that publish their games less buggy (Ubisoft this time). CPRD should have pushed the release by another half a year or published it first on PC & Stadia where it seems to work kind of OK.

PS. I understand the socioeconomic pressure the devs had. They screwed up by being too optimistic about the time it takes to develop a game of this complexity. The bosses at CDPR should learn from this. Because of the massive hype, it did not turn into a disaster, but it could have.

Oddly enough, it reminds me so much of Gothic 3. PB had released Gothic 1 and 2 and decided to create a gameworld 5 times the size with more complexity than ever before. It backfired badly. This doesn't seem as bad, but still has a lot of the same points to how they've handled it.

I bought the game but I will probably wait for a few months for bug squashing, further optimizations, new content, mods, etc. before playing. So far I only played two lifepaths (nomad and corpo).
This is a compiled list of features (quality of life and immersion) posted on reddit (by u/RalphDamiani) that could make the game better:
Quality of Life

- Walk toggle for keyboard.

- Key re-mapping for certain elements.

- Accessibility features missing (ie: text scaling for menus).

- In-game benchmark feature.

- Dash should be a separate key and not a double press of walking key.

- Crouch and skip dialogue should not share the same key.

- The minimap is too zoomed in to be helpful in many cases.

- Missing a toggle aim feature.

- Ability to respec attributes. (Note: Existing item respecs perks only)

- Ability to disable objective marker.

- Ability to lower ADS sensitivity.

- Add proper ultrawide (21:9, 32:9) support.

- Add loot by area or/and autoloot feature.

- Add "stash all" feature.

- Add transparency option for hud elements.

- Add way to remove mods from unequipped weapons.

- Add toggle mouse acceleration.

- Driving markers and onscreen trajectory (alternative GPS).

Gameplay and immersion

- Body slider customization (height, weight, muscle mass).

- Very few options for some of the character creation features (hair color, tattoos, skin complexion, scars, etc).

- Animations for eating and drinking (excluding scripted ones).

- Unable to remove underwear outside of inventory.

- Vehicle customization.

- Apartment customization.

- Cosmetic slots or transmog feature.

- Very few actual merchant stores in quantity and variety.

- No garages or parking lots.

- Crowds have low level of reactivity and awareness to the game world.

- Very few interactive NPCs outside of missions with meaningful dialogue.

- Very few options to meaningfully construct a personality to V. You get to choose missions endings, but not an actual persona.

- Lack of non-action oriented stories and quests about meaningful themes of cyberpunk distopia.

- Player cannot smoke.

- Weapon mods and skill trees largely irrelevant outside of marginal and mostly numerical improvements to combat.

- Lack of emergent gameplay events in the game world (ie: dynamic and random triggers).

- Unable to alter character's appearance (barbershop, tattoo parlors, plastic surgeon).

- Lack of character reflection outside of the few mirrors available. This furthers the disconnection between the player and the character.

- No ownership of items (you can rob NPCs under their nose).

- No prison or lasting crime system.

- Wanted system is largely underdeveloped, with cops spawning out of nowhere and disappearing shortly after.

- Cybernetics lack variety in meaningful choices that alter gameplay (except for limbs weapons). Deus Ex has far more impactful mods that actually change the way you approach combat.

- The lifepaths are frustratingly brief and have little impact other than dialogue choices. V is essentially the same character regardless of past.

- The traffic AI is lackluster and there are too few cars driving around for a large metropolis.

- Trains were obviously cut, even though the whole infrastructure is visible.

- The world interaction is quite minimal. Among items that should be interactive: chairs, benches, toilets, stools, sinks, gym equipment, light fixtures, restaurant menus, smartphones, taxi, trash bins and dumpsters, most merchant stalls, microwaves, dancing floors, gaming tables, arcades.

- You cannot preview wardrobe and weapon purchases.

- There is no reliable cover system.

- Loot system overdone, invasive and distracting. You are constantly showered with redundant and marginally better items and have no attachment whatsoever with your fashion and weapon choices. (Dear god, I hate this one).

- Enemies are too spongy and level design forces frontal assault way too often.

- Robotics and drone control largely absent (outside of scripted missions).

Talking of user reviews, here's a fresh Metacritic screenshot, it seems to have slightly improved these last few hours. But reading the user comments is always a weird experience, it's not possible to make out anything.
Most are either 10/10 or 0/10, so indeed, probably not very reliable.

And at the same time, everything is almost perfect on the critic's side :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 76
The german Gamestar (one of the two classic german game magazines) takes bugs into account for the final score and possibly modifies the score if patches are released. Here's the score for CP77: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/cyberpunk-2077-test,3364844,wertung.html

I think that's quite a good practise. (Although my impression is that thay should have decreased the score for CP77 by more than 3 points.)

I have not played this game yet. But I've read that the police will literally materialize next to you if you do crimes. No police chase, just *poof* "cops". Plus, the streets look really deserted. Almost no traffic.

Is this true on good PCs, or is this a console thing?

The tagline ("a gamer's review, not a corporate one") told me everything I needed to know about this review without watching it. I've seen that same sentiment expressed anytime any gamer enjoys a game others are heavily criticizing. They become an apologist, a corporate shill, etc.

Well, the game was buggy for me. I've said many times that bugs tend to get exaggerated. Much of the time, I barely notice them while other people are telling me it's unplayable. This time, I noticed them. Invisible guns. Floating objects. Dude yelling at me after I killed him. Freezes. Crashes. Not the endless parade of bugs and glitches some reported (especially on the crappiest consoles), but one of the buggiest games I've played.

I think CDPR should take responsibility for that, especially since they purposely misrepresented the state of the game for release. Their rep will and should take a major hit for that. Not on their game making ability, but on their corporate practices. Review scores should reflect the state of the game.

But despite all that, I enjoyed the game from the start, not because I'm being an apologist and ignoring reality, but exactly because I'm accepting of reality. And the more I've played, the fewer issues I've had. Since I installed the 1.04 patch, I've had one crash and zero other issues I can remember. I mean, Wilson still whines at me from miles away, but other than that, nothing. It's actually one of the most successful patches I've experienced (I have a history of having zero to almost no issues and then starting to have them when a game is patched; looking at you, Fallout:NV).

I'm actually pretty astounded by how well this game runs. Look around Night City, look at the draw distance and the fact that everything I can see looks fully rendered (no Skyrim crap textures here), look at al the reflections and smoke and other effects, look at amazing the rain looks, look at the many, many NPCs, listen to all the music and background chatter and sound effects, all the shit that's going on at all times, and I'm amazed that my 5 (?) year old console can run all that with nary a hitch or frame rate drop. CDPR is getting a ton of shit for technical issues, which is 100% deserved because they weren't honest about what hardware was really needed, but for the machines that CAN run this it's absolutely a technical marvel.

I have not played this game yet. But I've read that the police will literally materialize next to you if you do crimes. No police chase, just *poof* "cops". Plus, the streets look really deserted. Almost no traffic.

Is this true on good PCs, or is this a console thing?

Can't really speak to the police thing. I'm a good boy. I only shoot bad guys.

But deserted streets? No traffic? Absolutely not true. If you're expected to jostle elbows with 100's of people at a time, I guess. I wonder why you'd even want such a thing, but sure. But I can look around in Japantown or Kabuki or whatever and count dozens of cars and dozens of people at any given time. Go into Jig Jig street or the market in Kabuki and there are people everywhere. Bars are crowded. Etc. (I am playing on an Xbox One X)

(Although my impression is that thay should have decreased the score for CP77 by more than 3 points.)
I'm sorry but comparing this game to fully patched Skyrim, officially patched, is a difference of skies and earth.

Yes, CP2077 has bugs.
But is it broken so much it's unplayable? Is it Skyrim2?
Absolutely not.
It has a few bugs, so what.
In fact it is so huge contentwise, I'd call it impossible if there weren't any bugs.

If Gamestar however was reviewing the game on xbox and not on PC, then the game should get 1/10. One goes for the attempt.

@joxer; , I haven't played the game yet (except for an appetizer), so I can't decide if the decrease should be bigger. It was just my impressions from the comments on the watch.
@JFarrell71; , which console do you play it on?

@joxer; , I haven't played the game yet (except for an appetizer), so I can't decide if the decrease should be bigger. It was just my impressions from the comments on the watch.
@JFarrell71; , which console do you play it on?

An Xbox One X. I also put an external SSD on it, which I'm convinced is part of the reason why I'm not having as many issues.

An Xbox One X. I also put an external SSD on it, which I'm convinced is part of the reason why I'm not having as many issues.
I used both to test out the specs both work optimal. Of course the SSD will load and stream faster. Anyway under options they off the player to load faster on older HD's

It's called slow HD mode under the gameplay options.

I am personally disappointed, it feels like a mod for GTA5 with a bolted on great RPG system. But still like the game for what it is, wish they didn't hype it as a one game to rule them all.

Looks like HDR causes majority of the crashes, make sure it's disabled. Also the better your hardware the less bugs you will see.

I am close to 50hrs, 2 crashes and 1 quest bug (high end PC with 2080Ti). My other PC with 1080Ti is suffering from all kind of graphical glitches.

BTW you can get a refund now.

I am close to 50hrs, 2 crashes and 1 quest bug (high end PC with 2080Ti). My other PC with 1080Ti is suffering from all kind of graphical glitches.

I've got a 1080, and I've seen very few glitches of the graphical type. Most of the bugs I've experienced are related to items. Either not being able to interact with them or seeing them floating in air.

I've got a 1080, and I've seen very few glitches of the graphical type. Most of the bugs I've experienced are related to items. Either not being able to interact with them or seeing them floating in air.

That's what I heard from my son. I have no graphical bugs, no item bugs. I saw cross shaped NPC once.

IMO, they should've released PC only, did the de-bugging on PC users and released console GOLD version with DLCs next Christmas.

I made a sort list before patch 1.04 so here are a few bugs so far in the latest patch.

Graphic Glitches - Basically clipping, and non-interactive problems, sometimes you get stuck on scanning can't exit, pain screen gets stuck on scramble. My famous one is walking on air NPC's like in every Bethesda game. It's hilarious.

Quest Bugs - Ran into a few in the beginning of the game.

Audio - Sounds, music, and voices stop at random times while walking and talking.

Controls - Some mapped keys make no sense and you cant re-map them.

That's about it nothing to bothersome but you'll run into bugs eventually.

I don't recall all that many bugs/glitches in Skyrim or New Vegas at release, and not to the level users and reviewers have described for CP2077.

I mean Bethesda games are bugfests? Not my experience. Boiling Point? THAT was a bugfest.

Back
Top Bottom