Gothic Remake - Steam Page Up

I have mixed feeling about the project myself, but I'm a little surprised that you're already dismissing it. If done right, I think it could at least be an interesting experience for Gothic fans. Like a story being retold with a different spin.

I'm with you though about being more interested in Elex 2, and it's not even close. :)

I wouldn't say I'm dismissing the project in itself, more so just being entirely skeptical on the concept of classic remakes generally. I certainly hope it brings in more fans for the series and can capture the essence of the Gothic experience - but I'm hesitant to jump in too enthusiastically. If I run around all jolly like much too soon, the shadowbeast of disappointment will get me. :)

Last edited:
Its called I can't RP male, thanks

But surely in Baldur's Gate you would be controlling (and possibly role playing) male characters?

My post was meant purely jokingly, but I suppose it's an interesting point, in that when is a game too male or too female for it to be comfortably played by the opposite sex with any modicum of self-insertion.

Most team-based games I play I will naturally try to put together a team of both males and females, and in so doing often have no opinion about whether the self-chosen one (if you only create 1 yourself) is male or female.

For the more single character based games? I dunno, they tend to be the more action-oriented games with very little in the way of role-playing anyway. I'm not sure about Gothic, I suppose it is generally too much of a sausage-fest to be an easy pick-up for some females, but I'm not sure if any of that aspect would effect any role-playing aspects?

What are the specifically male role-playing aspects of Gothic?

From a traditionally male domain point of view there is hunting, fighting/brawling, drinking, smithing, navigation, politics etc. Gothic is a more realistic medieval fantasy world for a game than most which is apart of its appeal. If we broaden all of those traditionally male activities, as most RPGs do, to include females we also lose a bit of authenticity. For most games this is fine but for Gothic I feel it would lose something. It will be interesting to see what the new devs do with it.

From a traditionally male domain point of view there is hunting, fighting/brawling, drinking, smithing, navigation, politics etc. Gothic is a more realistic medieval fantasy world for a game than most which is apart of its appeal. If we broaden all of those traditionally male activities, as most RPGs do, to include females we also lose a bit of authenticity. For most games this is fine but for Gothic I feel it would lose something. It will be interesting to see what the new devs do with it.

That's quite a common trait of action RPGs made in that part of the world isn't it. Gothic, Witcher & Kingdom Come: Deliverance. All three have no means or intention of allowing a female protagonist, all are going for that 'low fantasy' and 'authenticity' feel, with drinking, smithing, brawling etc being the primary activities.

Interesting. It's almost a sub-genre by this point, the male-fantasy low-fantasy action brawler.

This seems like a waste of time. Gothic 1 doesn't need a remake. If you are going to remake something do Gothic 3 so it can realize its potential and make is so you can't destroy the whole world without questing.

Are the screenshots from the demo/Proof-of-concept they built previously? They seem similar, at least.

They are not from the demo. The demo was generally more colorful. Some fans was angry about it. Now they washed the colors out.

Well, I dont like much both extremes. Its sad when both fans and devs are sometimes unable to hit the middle ground. Its especially sad for some fans who are ridiculously angry against just hint of vivid colors.

I hope the dialogue and combat systems are significantly different from what was in that demo. Those were easily the weakest aspects imo.

They said they designed different combat system.

Anyway given the political state of this crazy world they might be edited out.

I highly doubt they get edited out. A more likely scenario is that they add more and give them greater roles just because…

With the latest developments (WotC among others), they're more likely to give the player an orc avatar instead of a human, just to avoid any reproach of being racist :p

Seriously though, why didn't they make Gothic 2? That was the favourite according to their survey.

They said they designed different combat system.

Thank the gods. Whatever they came up has to be better than the combat in that demo.

Seriously though, why didn't they make Gothic 2? That was the favourite according to their survey.

If this ends up doing well, I'm guessing a sequel will be likely.

I don't mind them changing a few things. I just hope they keep the atmosphere to be somewhat dark but not horribly so.

They need to nail the sect camp. I think it was easier to immerse oneself previously but I feel the possibilities to make that place amazing have grown a lot.

But surely in Baldur's Gate you would be controlling (and possibly role playing) male characters?

My post was meant purely jokingly, but I suppose it's an interesting point, in that when is a game too male or too female for it to be comfortably played by the opposite sex with any modicum of self-insertion.

Most team-based games I play I will naturally try to put together a team of both males and females, and in so doing often have no opinion about whether the self-chosen one (if you only create 1 yourself) is male or female.

For the more single character based games? I dunno, they tend to be the more action-oriented games with very little in the way of role-playing anyway. I'm not sure about Gothic, I suppose it is generally too much of a sausage-fest to be an easy pick-up for some females, but I'm not sure if any of that aspect would effect any role-playing aspects?

In BG like games, you can create your protagonist of your chosen gender + your companions come with pregenerated personality, so in essense I'm only RPing my own character which is very different to Gothic like game where you have to RP a male protagonist (I don't think its party based either?)

I must admit, for the BG games I've been through them only once and with guy, so I've no idea if the game is dramatically different if you choose a gal. I can imagine any potential romances are different, of course, but I didn't get any romance options as a guy anyway so I'm sure you can do the same playing as a gal. Other than that there's not much that's gender specific?

For Neverwinter Nights I've played both male and female characters through the OC and both expansions and not noticed any difference of any great note.

In fact, because NWN was in 3D as oppose to small 2D sprites, the option of playing the opposite sex to yourself is magnified I would have thought, at least that's the impression I get from a lot of gamers, in that one doesn't want to be gorping at a same sex butt for the whole game & the enjoyment is increased from role-playing your dream partner rather than yourself.

So Gothic is a 3D game, where you'd spend a lot of time looking at a guy's butt running around the map, therefore you could just role-play him as your hubby and you, as the player, are merely his back seat driver. For example. A sort of boyfriend management roleplay.

So Gothic is a 3D game, where you'd spend a lot of time looking at a guy's butt running around the map, therefore you could just role-play him as your hubby and you, as the player, are merely his back seat driver. For example. A sort of boyfriend management roleplay.

I've spent hundreds of hours in the Gothic games, and I can confidently say I've never spent any time looking at the Nameless Hero's butt. :)

Isn't that getting like the most sexist thread ever? ;)

But it's a fantasy game, even if there are realistic buildings and weapons you get fictional races and magical powers. So do we need to talk or even to care about authenticity?

We could also argue that there were female warriors throughout the history of several civilizations.

In The Witcher 3, you can't choose your gender nor your name because it's based on existing books by Sapkowski so it's really not possible. I haven't played the 1st Gothic, only the 3rd, but I don't see any such obstacle to an initial choice between male/female hero. There needn't be female NPCs I suppose, if the developer wants to limit the effort, I doubt it would hurt the setting or the gameplay.

It's more about what people want to roleplay. It's only fair to provide a choice when possible, at least for the player's character. But maybe there are fewer female players and developers/publishers prefer to reduce costs and generally impose an antiquated male virtual world. That's a more plausible explanation for me than any problem with female main character or NPC in the game.

Of course we could also have the same argument about the race and skin colour.

Isn't that getting like the most sexist thread ever? ;)

But it's a fantasy game, even if there are realistic buildings and weapons you get fictional races and magical powers. So do we need to talk or even to care about authenticity?

We could also argue that there were female warriors throughout the history of several civilizations.

The game itself sets the level of authenticity to fantasy. All we can do as fans is decide if it works for us or not. We do need to care about authenticity in so far as the game world is concerned as it needs to be consistently presented. If the world is not consistently presented we get something like the sequel trilogy (Disney Star Wars) . Games wise you get what happened with the Dragon Age series. Dragon Age Origins world and characters changed, sometimes drastically, with Dragon Age 2. When things change to much the world loses cohesion and fans get turned off as a result.

(I don't think its party based either?)

Gothic is single player third person perspective. So think Kotor and Jade Empire and you're on the right track.

If you'd like to play a game with a female protagonist in a somewhat similar gameplay style to Gothic, blob, I can heartily recommend Venetica if you haven't already played it. While I haven't completed the game yet, I quite liked what I have played. Not quite as compelling or primitive setting wise as Gothic but nonetheless an interesting world in its own right. I found out about the game years ago via the 'Watch actually - I think txa or Gorath was posting about it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/338140/Venetica__Gold_Edition/

I wouldn't have a problem at all if they included the option to customise the nameless hero. I think that would fit very well with being nameless anyway.

Also they could easily replace some characters with women. Thorus could be Thora :)

A Tomb Raider fan I take it? ;)

I can think of two, very pointed, reasons why Lara is such a popular lead character, but, weirdly enough, I must be one of the few people left on the planet who likes games but as yet has never played Lara in any video game O_O

(the latest Lara news is that apparently you can now play her in Fortnight)

I haven't played the 1st Gothic, only the 3rd, but I don't see any such obstacle to an initial choice between male/female hero.

The first game takes place in a male prison colony, so it would be quite the stretch to have a woman being thrown in there. I'm not sure how they could have spun the story to make that work.

Back
Top Bottom