Baldur's Gate 3 - A Comparison with Divinity: Original Sin 2

I've asked this before, but is there meanwhile some footage on city/village areas?
So far I've only seen wilderness or dungeons.

I could try to take a few screenshots but the camera is locked so limited. Maybe I can make a short youtube clip or something. Would be low quality. I will try later today.

I've asked this before, but is there meanwhile some footage on city/village areas?
So far I've only seen wilderness or dungeons.
I think they don't focus on them because what's there hardly qualifies as village, let alone city, the biggest areas are wilderness and some dungeons. It should change when/if we see Baldur's Gate. Is it an important issue for you? There's a lot of gameplay packed even in small areas, and there's enough to explore on the map, they rarely waste any map space with empty areas :)

You could check those (I didn't listen to the audio), but it's not spoiler-free:
- blighted village: https://youtu.be/b9mW_8_kyiM (it's an abandoned village)
- goblin camp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSOzY1SYRh8 (part outside, part dungeon)
- house on fire on the risen road: https://youtu.be/Mvp6Q4-vVng?t=94 (it's just a big house)

There's also the druid grove, but you'd have to watch a long video to see parts of it.

There's a lot of gameplay packed even in small areas, and there's enough to explore on the map, they rarely waste any map space with empty areas :)

I wonder if this is not a weakness rather than a strength. Imo, "empty" areas make discovering things more meaningful, more interesting.

I would say no, not a weakness at all. There is a lot of area to explore. Lots of hidden stuff. How much you find depends on how thorough you are. I never felt like anything was too busy or too empty and boring.

Mileage varies by player of course. For me, however, it keeps hitting all the right sweet spots in pretty much all my favorite areas.

The only thing I very much dislike is the Ranger animal companion. They made it a summons which I can't stand. That isn't a life bonded, soul bonded, animal companion. That is just a summoned animal. Can't even play the Ranger because of it.

Luckily my Drow Rogue makes up for it.

I wonder if this is not a weakness rather than a strength. Imo, "empty" areas make discovering things more meaningful, more interesting.
I agree with you. It's also very strange to see so many different things so close to one another, including sworn enemies. It's as if those guys never went for a stroll.

On the other hand, there are many things to discover that are not necessarily mentioned in earlier quests, but rather pure serendipity. It's still satisfying to discover them :)

EDIT @wolfgrimdark; beat me to it ;)

I'm not sure how to answer this other than point to the SRD. There isn't much difference with 3 or 3.5 AFAIK, except you need to be proficient with the type of armour you wear or you'll get a penalty.

The typical armour adds to the AC, with a caveat on dexterity saving throws and arcane check.

Check pg. 57 for proficiencies, 62-64 for armour, 90 for combat
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

Other than armour, perhaps the different types of actions/bonus actions/reactions/interactions have changed since 3 and 3.5, to check. That's one area Larian went creative.

PS: the SRD document isn't the most friendly. It is *possible*, by looking - not on WotC of course, to find a PDF of the Player's Handbook :) It's a nice book, by the way, the physical book too but it tends to lose its pages after a few times.
Cheers! I checked out the document you linked. Seems straight forward and simple and like little has changed combat wise since third edition.

Back
Top Bottom