Siege of Avalon: Anthology - Available Now

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Some 20 years after it's original release, the revamped version of Siege of Avalon is now available on Steam and GOG.

Siege of Avalon: Anthology Launches Today on Steam & GOG!​

Defend the Citadel in this enhanced version of a 20 year old classic.​

April 8th, 2021 - SNEG is happy to announce that Siege of Avalon: Anthology is now available on Steam & GOG; experience Digital Tome's RPG classic enhanced for the modern day. Originally episodic, this release collects all six episodes together so players can get fully immersed in the world of Avalon.

A dedicated community of coders has been carrying the torch and attempting to improve & maintain the original game for years, since the moment Digital Tome released the source code back in 2003. To thank community for their efforts, SNEG will be making the code for their updated version with all the new features they've added open source so people can continue to build off it.

Rebuilt from the original Delphi code, this new release of Siege of Avalon: Anthology features:

• Support for resolutions up to 720p/1080p
  • Widescreen, multi-monitor support, & windowed mode
  • An updated UI sized for 16:9 monitors
  • The ability to play as a female character
  • Achievements and cloud saves
  • QOL changes such as fast travel and an increased party size
  • Bug fixes and improved stability

About Siege of Avalon: Anthology

BUILD YOUR OWN CHARACTER

Play as a fighter, scout, or mage, and choose from hundreds of pieces of weaponry and armor to customize your character's appearance and abilities. Learn different skills and spells to try various play styles. Add members to your Party or drop them as you advance through the game.

PLAYED ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Dive into the story of deception, treachery, and heroism through rich dialogues and in-game tomes. The game was designed with the idea of being a new type of book that gives a feeling of full immersion into its fantasy world.

FULL ANTHOLOGY

Get immediate access to the full game. Chapters one, two, and six lead you through the main story, while third, fourth and fifth chapters present the expansions that allow you to delve even further into the lore and adventures.

IT'S BEEN 20 YEARS. WILL IT RUN?

We are happy to bring back to life the "Siege of Avalon: Anthology". The game received its portion of technical care and now runs on modern operating systems without any extra shenanigans. The story, visuals, and gameplay are untouched - with all its charm and flaws. Enjoy playing the game on Windows 7 or later, improved stability and widescreen support.

More information.

Got it. I hope it'll be good. Graphic-wise it looks better than anything Spiderweb makes so that's fine for me.

I played this when it was first released and remember it being one of my favorite RPGs at the time. The comparison with Divine Divinity (which I also loved) is fair. But I remember Siege of Avalon being more story focused, which each “act” being treated like a separate chapter in a book. I’m pretty sure I also remember that each chapter was released separately like a standalone game but when I bought the game they were all included in the pack and I was able to play through them with the same character. By modern standards it will be pretty slow and clunky I’m sure...but I’ll still pick this one up for nostalgias sake. Hopefully it still holds up. If you liked the original Divine Divinity and are willing to be patient with some 20 year old graphics/gameplay I think you might like this one.

I remember playing the first chapter of that one so many years ago and thought it was pretty good. Got to play it again!

I played this when it was first released and remember it being one of my favorite RPGs at the time. The comparison with Divine Divinity (which I also loved) is fair. But I remember Siege of Avalon being more story focused, which each “act” being treated like a separate chapter in a book. I’m pretty sure I also remember that each chapter was released separately like a standalone game but when I bought the game they were all included in the pack and I was able to play through them with the same character. By modern standards it will be pretty slow and clunky I’m sure…but I’ll still pick this one up for nostalgias sake. Hopefully it still holds up. If you liked the original Divine Divinity and are willing to be patient with some 20 year old graphics/gameplay I think you might like this one.

Do you remember how long it took to play through all the chapters?

I’m afraid my memory isn’t that good. But I don’t remember it being overly short or so long that it became tedious if that helps.

I played through the first chapter a long long time ago, and really enjoyed it but couldn't find the full game at the time.

Probabky a bit outdated but it was certainly a fun game.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I bought it way back when and never finished, and had a hard time getting into it. It reminds me more of Ultima than Divine Divinity. As I recall there was a lot of story, a ton of Npcs to talk to and little direction. It has been a long time since I played, but the beginning was at that point and time way too slow paced for my attention span.

I remember trying to run this game two years ago on Win8 but no luck. I'm going to buy the gog version to try it. Original game was released in 2001 i think, if i'm not mistaken. I was reading news about that in RPGDot back then. It's an ambitious indie project that tries to combine Diablo style combat with deep RPG mechanics but fell short. Later Divine Divinity achieve that. Anyway, i think it also was the first episodic game of its time. First act was free and distributed as shareware and other five acts were on sale via their website. Maybe that's the reason why this game couldn't be popular because this was the pre-Steam disc era.

Wow, I didn't realize this was a remake of that Siege of Avalon until this newsbit.

I remember playing the original back in the day. I loved the first chapter and gobbled up the rest, getting it all in one disc when it finally came out. I believe Gamestop blacklisted it because of it's episodic format but they obviously relented.

The original was pretty poor as far as graphics were concerned. In one chapter's exterior you entered on the East side which made you appear on the West side's interior - they were reusing assets in an extreme way.

There was a lot of text, a lot of story. The tagline of the title was "Read any good Games lately?" It really had that PNP feel to it.

Is this a remake or a sequel. Its been so long I'll give it a go regardless.

It sure looks like they kept at least one part up from the original - it looks like it's an indie game that's completely out of date ;)

There was a lot of text, a lot of story. The tagline of the title was "Read any good Games lately?" It really had that PNP feel to it.

Is this a remake or a sequel. Its been so long I'll give it a go regardless.

I believe it's not a remake or a sequel per se, it's just the old game that got repackaged and made win 10 compatible :)

I played for the evening. It had a few problems : No quicksave button, map layout that make characters/loot impossible to see, and horrible ai, especially for your group members who are very unpredictable. My archer ally seems to often prefer to run around instead of actually fighting!

Still, the story is cool, it has a lot of lore, and I actually had a blast :)

Whoa, I played so much of this. I actually had a relative buy the Anthology CD on the US and bring it all the way to Brazil. Wish I had it still, donated it along some other games to a cousin some 6 or so years ago.
It's pretty fun if you play for the story and put aside the bad AI and clunky UI.

The code of the original game has been made open source and these people worked on it to bring you this version, which you can also find on GitHub.
I believe Steve New contributed quite a bit and he has his own cloned version on GitHub.
So you could save yourself some money and build your own version, but as usual with these types of things, if you could express the time you invest in doing that, in money, it will not be worth the effort :)

Well, I went ahead and grabbed a copy. I'll give it a try hopefully later tonight.
Would be nice if you could give some feedback then.

Iirc, this game was released in chapters in Germany back when. First time a game/RPG did this I think. I was pretty excited about the game but no memories seem to stand out...

Would be nice if you could give some feedback then.

Played it for a little while this morning. Not impressed. To be fair though, most 20 year old games aren't going to impress anyone without the nostalgia of having played them back then.

From a technical standpoint, it's very bare-bones. The only graphics options you have are the resolution and whether or not objects display shadows. On top of that, there are only 3 resolutions to choose from, the original 800x600, 1280x720, and 1920x1080.

Unfortunately, like a lot of older games, the aspect ratio isn't preserved when you increase the resolution. I had to knock the res down to 1280x720 because everything was too small at 1920x1080.

Other than that, it plays fine. I didn't play very long, but I didn't encounter any bugs or glitches. I completed a few quests inside the starting castle which is quite large. I got bored pretty fast though. I'm not sure if it was the game or just the mood I'm in. It's very slow-paced in the beginning.

Iirc, this game was released in chapters in Germany back when

Yes, I remember that, too.
There was a community called SOAmigos. With "SOA" meaning "Siege Of Avalon".
If I recall it correctly, then the game had a few easter eggs as well, like a helmet looking like a Star Wars Stormtrooper helmet ... But my memory is blurry about that, and I have only very vague mental pictures of that ...

Played it for a little while this morning. Not impressed. To be fair though, most 20 year old games aren't going to impress anyone without the nostalgia of having played them back then.

From a technical standpoint, it's very bare-bones. The only graphics options you have are the resolution and whether or not objects display shadows. On top of that, there are only 3 resolutions to choose from, the original 800x600, 1280x720, and 1920x1080.

Unfortunately, like a lot of older games, the aspect ratio isn't preserved when you increase the resolution. I had to knock the res down to 1280x720 because everything was too small at 1920x1080.

Other than that, it plays fine. I didn't play very long, but I didn't encounter any bugs or glitches. I completed a few quests inside the starting castle which is quite large. I got bored pretty fast though. I'm not sure if it was the game or just the mood I'm in. It's very slow-paced in the beginning.

I was afraid of this. Nostalgia and fond memories of a game are great…but can be quickly dashed when we you revisit a game 20 years later. I will probably still pick this up at some point for nostalgias sake. But I’ll temper my expectations. I have also changed over the past 20 years, and find myself less enthused about the long time-consuming RPGs I used to love.

Back
Top Bottom