Elex Elex First Impressions

I'm not "just making things up". I have read several negative reviews on steam saying that they got a refund in the time allowed, which is 2 hours or less. Anyone can go to steam, filter the reviews by negative only, and they can find some reviews saying this.

That said, sure, my statement has some opinion involved in it too. I think many gamers will not like this game because the first impressions of it are very rough.

Actually yes you are making things up. First impressions are not "very rough" according to the majority of gamers on Steam. And every game gets refunds on Steam. Let me quote my previous post again with the FACTS.

Almost 1700 reviews on Steam now and they are 73% Positive. Mostly Positive. That does not support the theory that people don't like the game, are getting refunds or that this type of game has no fans. It has actually been received much better than anticipated

With 21,000 people in-game yesterday.

What you posted is just made up. The majority of people on Steam are enjoying the game.

And the majority of voters didn't vote for him. :D

Which is ironic because he was still a better choice than the alternatives :)

Ok, I think I'll back away now, slowly...I don't want to trigger any more Elex fanboys with my "made up" opinions...:p

Re: the game sales.

This game is always going to be very niche, and not sell very well. Most gamers will play it for 2 hours (or less), and quickly get a refund on steam.

Their core audience is going to be much smaller than just general gamers. First, there aren't that many rpg gamers who like hardcore rpg games like this, then, with the awkward unfriendly English translation and dialogues, that will turn off many other non-hardcore rpg gamers as well.

I think most of their fan base will be people like on rpg codex (where this game seems to be getting a great reception, in general) and some people here, but to be honest, that isn't many people, at least not in the wider gaming world.

If their games don't sell, how are they still in business? Every time you turn around another gaming company goes under. But PB is stii around. They must doing something right.

In Gothic 2 Xardas specifically stated not to wander off the path. While the game instructions did nothing of the sort the game world did give you the appropriate advice.

As far as your ideal area of a starting process, that would not work for me. I don't want some beatable monster to build up my confidence early in the game. Your card game example is off because one player is not really playing the game if he only has half the cards.

IMO the Elex world would be more like a martial arts class. You and perhaps your buds or sibblings enter the class with no knowledge or skills but there are instructors and senior students. If you want to challenge the senior students to a dual you can but you are probably going to lose. Most of your early play fights are with the other nubes in the class. After a while your skills and your knowledge increases and you become more proficient and then you can challenge senior students "comfortably."

OTOH, your pogo-stick analysis has plenty of merit. I'm down with that. If the neighborhood bully lives next door to me. I'm fine with working out and going to my martial arts class. Bidding my time. Because one day he's gonna tug on my cape . . . .

We're not talking about Gothic 2, we're talking about Elex.

You don't want some beatable monster in the early game? That wouldn't work for you? I have no idea what you're on here. At some point you'll be fighting monsters, delaying that for the sake of delaying that is supposedly good because you enjoy a 15 level tutorial? Give me a break. And when someone starts comparing RPGs to educational lessons then you're completely losing me. I don't mind that you might like your game delayed because you like that style, but your analogy absurd to me. You're not a rookie child-like learner, you're given weapons immediately, you have monsters you can take out immediately, the game has just scattered then willy-nilly to create an illusion of something deeper.

If you want a karate analogy then it'd be like your instructor telling you to go practice with steve who's about the same level as you, but before you can get to steve you need to pogo-stick around paul because…?

The bully analogy? Sure, that's every RPG ever, you wait for the OP then you go kill the big bad guy. Simply placing the big bad guy out in the open right next to the starting area and having him wait there until the end-game instead of it being a curious adventure to find the bad guy seems like parody more than some kind of revolutionary evolution of complexity.

And you obviously don't know how to play snap. In snap each person has half a deck.

I'm not complaining that people shouldn't like the game here, I'm just bewildered by the language people are using to describe it. A game is 'hard' because you spend 15 levels in a tutorial state of mind? Christ, I hate tutorials, why in all that's holy would someone want to spend 15 levels in a tutorial, sounds like masochism to me!

[for Drithius:] ] :

recruitment-dominatrix.jpg

Which is ironic because he was still a better choice than the alternatives :)

Funny that Arkadia7 liked that post. I knew from his/her post in the thread about CDPR's worker issues that he was a Trump type. I can spot y'all a mile away. :)

A game is 'hard' because you spend 15 levels in a tutorial state of mind? Christ, I hate tutorials, why in all that's holy would someone want to spend 15 levels in a tutorial, sounds like masochism to me!

Maybe try playing the game and forming a real opinion on it. The game is in no way, shape or form "15 levels in a tutorial state of mind."

If their games don't sell, how are they still in business? Every time you turn around another gaming company goes under. But PB is stii around. They must doing something right.

Yup. And by all accounts this game will be their biggest success yet. Isn't ELEX 2 already confirmed?

The Mostly Positive reviews a few days after release is already a huge success IMO.

I'm not "just making things up". I have read several negative reviews on steam saying that they got a refund in the time allowed, which is 2 hours or less. Anyone can go to steam, filter the reviews by negative only, and they can find some reviews saying this.

That said, sure, my statement has some opinion involved in it too. I think many gamers will not like this game because the first impressions of it are very rough.

That shouldn't surprise anyone. There are a lot of gamers out there who expect instant gratification right from the very start. ELEX isn't going to appeal to those people.

I went War Bow and Ranged for my dude and it can feel pretty OP sometimes. Even without any skill, it is easy to fire a bow while hovering. Sure, I fall down after a few seconds but if I toggle left or right as I fall the mobs nearly always miss their first swing. By the time they line me up again, I can hover ;)

This isn't so great if there are multiple mobs. That's the trade-off I think. Also, I can't hit multiple targets with my bow. I haven't figured out that exactly. How do I change the default attack from one arrow to a barrage or from a thrown grenade to a placed one. There are 3 buttons to the left of my hotkeys, but I don't know how to move between ammo modes. Anyone know?

That shouldn't surprise anyone. There are a lot of gamers out there who expect instant gratification right from the very start. ELEX isn't going to appeal to those people.

No need to even analyze his quote. Every game has some negative reviews. Fake news is claiming or leading on that they are in the majority, when if you look at the Steam stats currently, they are not.

Updated stats: 1716 reviews, 73% are positive = Mostly Positive status on Steam.

This is the kind of language I'm on about. Yeah, I get it's probably just sort-of in-jokey language and all that, but do you honestly think other games offer instant gratification while this game doesn't? What does that even mean?

You start out with a jet-pack. How much more instant can your gratification be than walking out the door and turning on a jetpack then zooming over a tyrannosaurus's head. Sounds a lot more instantly gratifying than being shoved in a room with a bunch of rats that drop nothing but have a chance to kill you for only 10 exp points and 5 gold.

I'm not denying you might have a point, but without explaining what it is you're even on about it just sounds antagonistic for the sake of antagonism. And, yes, I am fully aware I'm probably coming across as being antagonistic in asking, but that's not my intent, just genuinely curious why such language is being used with such ferocity of intent. Which games are you comparing it to?

This is the kind of language I'm on about. Yeah, I get it's probably just sort-of in-jokey language and all that, but do you honestly think other games offer instant gratification while this game doesn't? What does that even mean?

You start out with a jet-pack. How much more instant can your gratification be than walking out the door and turning on a jetpack then zooming over a tyrannosaurus's head. Sounds a lot more instantly gratifying than being shoved in a room with a bunch of rats that drop nothing but have a chance to kill you for only 10 exp points and 5 gold.

I'm not denying you might have a point, but without explaining what it is you're even on about it just sounds antagonistic for the sake of antagonism. And, yes, I am fully aware I'm probably coming across as being antagonistic in asking, but that's not my intent, just genuinely curious why such language is being used with such ferocity of intent. Which games are you comparing it to?
Not going to talk about the language bit as I think it's not productive either way.

For me the idea is that at the start you are a nobody and you need to prove yourself.

That's what is special. You don't start the game with any skills or anything that can help you much.

Thats what is interesting to me. I know some people love RPGs with character creation that takes ages and with lots of choices but to me that should be part of the game.

For example in NWN I need to decide whether I'll be a magic user or warrior from the start almost. However I have no clue about the game and lore or storyline...

In pb games it gives me a chance to develop based on the factions and the available skills within the game.

Hope that explains my perspective although I understand that may not be an answer to your question...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hmm...Trump voters, German sexual deviance, and antagonism. Have I stumbled into the remains of the Grimoire thread?

Back
Top Bottom