GOG - Partners with SEGA and Summer Sale

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
With the start of the summer sale GOG partners with SEGA:

GOG partners with SEGA and release Alien: Isolation for the launch of the Summer Sale

SEGA joins GOG to offer their renowned games DRM-free, starting with the release of Alien: Isolation * Sanitarium giveaway now available for all * Summer Sale brings 3500+ deals up to 90% off *

Gamers from every generation will find something for themselves during the just launched Summer Sale on GOG - from multiple giveaways, and flash deals to new releases and several surprises. The 3 weeks-long event starts with the announcement of SEGA partnering with GOG to release a selection of their hit titles on the platform.
SEGA, one of the leading interactive entertainment companies in the world, is the latest big addition to GOG's lineup of partners offering their games in the DRM-free format. Today's announcement comes with the release of Alien: Isolation (-75%), the 2014 survival horror that follows the events of Ellen Ripley's daughter, Amanda, who is on a survival mission to unravel the truth behind her mother's disappearance. GOG users can also start preparing for more SEGA releases, with Two Point Hospital and Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - Anniversary Edition coming soon pages already live and more titles to be announced in the coming weeks.

This Summer we're bringing back memories to awaken our inner child and pass on the passion for games to others, no matter their age. Rediscover the classics, check what great stories new games tell today, and explore the history of your hobby. Summer Sale is here to show how games connect generations!

Let's start the journey with the 1st of 5 planned game giveaways with Sanitarium - the 1998 classic that will give you shivers even on the hottest days of the summer. This immersive psychological horror game is available for grabs right now on GOG's front-page till Wednesday June 8th at 1 PM UTC.
More information.

Sanitarium is free as part of the summer sale I recommend playing it.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is -70%, which makes the Royal Edition 12 EUR, and the normal edition 9 EUR. I'm tempted, though I'm avoiding GOG at the moment since they don't release patches and their support is completely overwhelmed.

The last reviews on this game show it's apparently badly bugged, which doesn't help, is that true?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is -70%, which makes the Royal Edition 12 EUR, and the normal edition 9 EUR. I'm tempted, though I'm avoiding GOG at the moment since they don't release patches and their support is completely overwhelmed.

The last reviews on this game show it's apparently badly bugged, which doesn't help, is that true?
Honestly I ran into a few bugs but nothing major since the last few patches. Just make sure to uses a few mods. Especially the ones to help clean your armor easier.

Honestly I ran into a few bugs but nothing major since the last few patches. Just make sure to uses a few mods. Especially the ones to help clean your armor easier.

Good to know, thanks. So I remain tempted ;)

Yeah, I expect a few tedious tasks in that game, I'm not too worried but if there are mods to avoid unnecessary grind, it's good to know too.

Just how accurate is that assertion that GOG doesn't have the most recent patches for their games? What evidence do you have for that? It definitely makes me not want to buy any more games there, if true. I thought there might be some people jumping to the defense in this thread.

In my experience GOG are always a few days late then the steam patches. If a patch is released on the weekend you usually have to wait till Monday to get it.

The developers of Mechajammer and Rome Expedition were behind patches for a while as well. I learned it's because the process is not automatic and needs a worker.

@Redglyph; had a few bad experiences with the staff about technical problems.

Never played Sanitorium so I nabbed the freebie, thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'll be checking out the sale to see if anything grabs me.

Just how accurate is that assertion that GOG doesn't have the most recent patches for their games? What evidence do you have for that? It definitely makes me not want to buy any more games there, if true. I thought there might be some people jumping to the defense in this thread.

They're 2 months behind for Expeditions: Rome, the 2 last patches are missing, and there are other GOG-specific bugs that were not solved yet. It's impossible to have a clear answer on what's happening. For Mechajammer it was a similar story.

I had other issues with my account, the support takes 2 to 4 weeks to answer, except the refund which took 1 or 2 days from the 2 last games I had to return (which is rare for me). There are other problems but it's already enough for me to avoid them for a while.

Since the refund is not an issue, you can safely buy something even if you're unsure about it. I would just avoid games that still need fixing.

They're 2 months behind for Expeditions: Rome, the 2 last patches are missing, and there are other GOG-specific bugs that were not solved yet. It's impossible to have a clear answer on what's happening. For Mechajammer it was a similar story.
My theory it's probably something to do with THQ and the developer Logic Artists closing down. I remember it was mentioned the developer closed and rebranded to make NFT's.

Link - https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/...-logic-artists-closing-down-to-make-nft-games

Though some employees didn't join and will work on the game still.

My theory it's probably something to do with THQ and the developer Logic Artists closing down. I remember it was mentioned the developer closed and rebranded to make NFT's.

Link - https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/...-logic-artists-closing-down-to-make-nft-games

Though some employees didn't join and will work on the game still.

THQ Nordic owns the IP and manages the releases, so I don't think this has anything to do with the sad future of Logic Artists. Not sure when it's supposed to happen, I've seen no announcement and they all seem there.

Weird West release was delayed by 2 weeks too, another "communication problem" between them and a publisher.

I've been playing on and off (without mods), and haven't encountered any major issues (worst I've had is textures popping in or not loading quickly enough).
It's a gem and I would recommend it to anyone that likes RPGs and does not mind a set protagonist. There are indeed some tedious tasks but I feel like that probably reflects the life of a medieval nobody well enough. ;)

If you got the time, there's no reason to procrastinate on playing this one. I don't take a stance on where you should get it, but can only recommend the game. A truly unique game which makes you feel like a commoner at least in the beginning of the game. Daily chores are gamified brilliantly and some of the quests are among the most memorable in any RPG I have played. The fighting takes time to get used to. So does lock-picking, but you are not forced to do much of either if you do not want (in most cases you could run away if you role-played a coward). Not many bugs to talk about any longer. Go for it!

I hope Good Old Games makes a comeback because it seems to have gone a bit downhill lately.

The reason I bring this up is recently Capcom pulled anti consumer move and made Resident Evil 2 remake to be Direct X12 and Windows 10 only with forced upgrade/patch.

Steam has a lame auto-patching system where it basically forces you to always have your games have latest patch and be auto patched, unless you want to go offline all the time which is a pain in the ass and not worth it.

Ok, so Capcom reversed itself after huge outrage from the Steam gaming community and not just those running old rigs and old windows 7, but even people who have cutting edge systems and wanted a choice between Direct x 12 (which runs like crap in many games) and Direct x 11.

We need a Good Old Games to be thriving so we can always go to them and have realistic choice of what unpatched version of the game that we want, and we get to decide if we want to apply the latest patch.

Steam has a lame auto-patching system where it basically forces you to always have your games have latest patch and be auto patched, unless you want to go offline all the time which is a pain in the ass and not worth it.

Just curious, but how is choosing offline mode a pain in the ass? It's literally just 1 extra click of your mouse button.

Just curious, but how is choosing offline mode a pain in the ass? It's literally just 1 extra click of your mouse button.

Its not just that, I like to keep track of my game play time, and that doesn't work in offline mode. So then if I have to play in offline mode, I don't know what my true play time is for certain games.

I think the Steam patching system could be greatly improved by giving more choices to the player, kind of like how Good Old Games does it.

The online requirement is not great but most of us can live with it because we need it for other things, but I don't like that Steam forces to update. When I want to play and that I must first download a few GB, it's not good if I know that the patch will break things, or if I have to share the bandwidth with people who work remotely.

At least both platforms allow to reduce the bitrate, which is a great feature.

If GOG could have the same compression level as Steam, that would be nice though. But I agree with Arkadia7, they do offer offline patching and a better system overall where you can select download & temporary directories.

In Steam, there are options for each game you own (right-hand click on the game) that allow you to turn-off auto updates for a game.

In Steam, there are options for each game you own (right-hand click on the game) that allow you to turn-off auto updates for a game.

You still have to update it once the game launches though.

Both platforms have issues, but I definitely prefer Steam for modern games. Having the updates sooner and often in a smaller download is a big plus. If I'm playing a recently released game, I don't want to have to wait any longer than necessary to receive a patch when it's available.

For classic titles, I'll stick with GOG. They often seem to run with less issues than the Steam versions.

Yeah, similar to JDR, I've noticed the more current games seem to run better with Steam. My library comparison, however, is more slanted to great old games, I suppose that in some point in the future, that'll even out. And the classics really seem to function better with GoG.

Back
Top Bottom