Need some Dying Light 1 help/advices

henriquejr

Fluminense Football Club
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hi!

(I created this thread because I couldn't find a similar one here.)

I started playing the first Dying Light game a few days ago. I've already left the starting building, and when walking thru Harran I noticed there are some spots on the map that are marked as "Challenges". I went to the first one that I saw but I couldn't find any further instructions on how to activate it. What shall I do in order to do that?

Last edited:
Isn't there someone in the area you can speak to to start the challenge? My memory is a little fuzzy on those. I just remember that some of them were fairly difficult.

I wouldn't recommend going after the challenges until you're very familiar with the gameplay mechanics.

Isn't there someone in the area you can speak to to start the challenge? My memory is a little fuzzy on those. I just remember that some of them were fairly difficult.

None that I've seen, at least.

I wouldn't recommend going after the challenges until you're very familiar with the gameplay mechanics.

Have we to complete them in a given time gap? In a way that if we don't do them in the next XX minutes after they appear on the map, they'll be gone for good?

Last edited:
Have we to complete them in a given time gap? In a way that if we don't do them in the next XX minutes after they appear on the map, they'll be gone for good?

No. There are time limits once they start, but afaik you can replay them as many times as you like until you succeed.

Finished the prologue now (heh, I didn't even know that what I was playing was part of the prologue) and I slept my first night on a comfortable matress in the safe zone. :p

The game then asks if I want to continue my gameplay in online or offline mode. Guess what? Offline mode of course :)

Is that normal that I found some doors over the city buildings, where the "Open" command displays but then I just can't open them? The game does an animation like I was forcing these doors but they don't open, as if they were stuck.

Can I return to them later to get'em opened?

Can I return to them later to get'em opened?
With a lot of them there's a way of getting into the building/room that allows you to open them from the other side. Some of them are just unopenable. though, IIRC.

When you apply a mod to weapon, what happens when it's broken beyond repair? Do you lose the mod as well? Are there any hints on when I should apply mods to weapons?

Anybody? Nobody?

I found the tribute to George Romero that Techland included in the game after he passed away (2017).

GeorgeRomero.jpg

(I've actually found it earlier into the game but only now I stopped by to take a screenshot)

Started my replay last night and ended up pulling an all-nighter. The atmosphere in this game is still unmatched by anything else in the genre.

424DAFD8EF0165E0D4D1944071F8D9DC27293734

4D9EFFA3119D56D4EA332D2133683C88B8F54B36

57B6A84138B7BE6C27B4FBCFFE4E66D174A44883

7370095AA18B05EDBC710F73456F1ADC410BD021

And a little bit of humor...
813886443D462CF0B9FA0C29CD6C674135DF4DB9

i took a break after i finished the first area otherwise would have got bored; 2nd area is also big, plus i have the car expac as well

@henriquejr; Where are you at now? I reached Old Town last night.

If it wasn't for the save system, this might be my favorite non-RPG game of all time. I don't understand why they chose an autosave only system for a game like this though. During the fight against the Demolisher in Rais's arena, the Demolisher killed me, and when I respawned, the game glitched and also respawned all the zombies I killed prior to the Demolisher's entrance. So then I had to deal with everything at once. It was incredibly difficult and annoying.

I've since began making a backup of the save file just in case anything worse than that happens.

I just noticed in Dying Light 2 that it maintains a single save file. On console at least, I have no recourse to anything else. That is so mind-blowingly stupid, bordering on irresponsible. If my save corrupts or it puts me in a death loop or something I'm going to metaphorically throw this game into the sea.

@henriquejr; Where are you at now? I reached Old Town last night.

I haven't reached the Old Town, I'm in the Slums yet. I stopped doing the main quest in that part where we should get/kill our first Bolter zombie at night (this quest is right after we do the School one). I'm now doing side quests and trying to do some Challenges but, like I said once, I'm not brilliant at parkour and also, since I'm playing on PC, I don't use a controller (which I believe would make parkour challenges more easy).

If it wasn't for the save system, this might be my favorite non-RPG game of all time. I don't understand why they chose an autosave only system for a game like this though. During the fight against the Demolisher in Rais's arena, the Demolisher killed me, and when I respawned, the game glitched and also respawned all the zombies I killed prior to the Demolisher's entrance. So then I had to deal with everything at once. It was incredibly difficult and annoying.

I've since began making a backup of the save file just in case anything worse than that happens.

I never thought the DL save system would be so consoley (or even worse). For an open-world (open city?) game, I think this is a bad, cumbersome implementation of a save system. It sucks, plain and simple.

Also, I never been into Rais' Arena. Back when the game got released I avoided reading/watching videos about it so I still don't know that much about the game itself.

I haven't reached the Old Town, I'm in the Slums yet. I stopped doing the main quest in that part where we should get/kill our first Bolter zombie at night (this quest is right after we do the School one). I'm now doing side quests and trying to do some Challenges but, like I said once, I'm not brilliant at parkour and also, since I'm playing on PC, I don't use a controller (which I believe would make parkour challenges more easy).

You're not far behind where I'm at. I'm not doing any of the challenges which is one of the reasons I'm cruising through it fairly quickly despite doing almost all the sidequests. The challenges are too gamey for my taste, and they only serve to break the immersion for me. I'm also skipping the bounty board quests.

I'm not sure using a controller would make the parkour easier. Maybe if it was in third-person, but I generally think anything in first-person is easier with M+K with the exception of driving.

You're not far behind where I'm at. I'm not doing any of the challenges which is one of the reasons I'm cruising through it fairly quickly despite doing almost all the sidequests. The challenges are too gamey for my taste, and they only serve to break the immersion for me. I'm also skipping the bounty board quests.

Yes, they do break immersion but I decided to do them in order to get more practice/experience in the parkour side (at least this is the way I face those parkour timed challenges).

The side quests: I'm doing the bounty board quests as soon as I get them. As for the quests we get on those dartboards (is this the correct name??) like "Holy Year Tunnel" and another one whose name I forgot now, I didn't do them yet. But I will.

I'm not sure using a controller would make the parkour easier. Maybe if it was in third-person, but I generally think anything in first-person is easier with M+K with the exception of driving.

I don't know, I sometimes have this impression that a controller would help. The game is funny: when I'm running and I try to reach a low wall, if I'm not looking up then Crane can't reach the top of wall to climb it. I have to look up otherwise Crane just jumps in place. With a two-stick controller that would be easier: with one stick we run forward while we use the other to look up and jump over the wall. Sometimes I just think a controller really would be more helpful these times.

I played DL1 with m&k and I'm playing DL2 with a controller. Basic parkour and combat was certainly possible with m&k but with a controller I feel that more complex actions are within my grasp. As Henrique observes, there is a lot of simultaneous movement in DL and with a keyboard I start to get pretzel fingers.

The game is funny: when I'm running and I try to reach a low wall, if I'm not looking up then Crane can't reach the top of wall to climb it. I have to look up otherwise Crane just jumps in place.

It sounds like you're waiting too long to hit the jump key or you're breaking stride before hitting it.

I've never had any issues with the parkour. It's completely fluid for me on M+K. I guess it just depends on what works for you.

The side quests: I'm doing the bounty board quests as soon as I get them. As for the quests we get on those dartboards (is this the correct name??) like "Holy Year Tunnel" and another one whose name I forgot now, I didn't do them yet. But I will.

The main bulletin board is the request board. The dartboard is the bounty board. I'm doing everything on the request board.

The bounty board quests though are more like challenges where they want you to collect 50 of this or kill 100 of that. That's why I'm skipping those. Also, I read that they don't all unlock until after you finish the main quest, and I don't plan on continuing after that.

Back
Top Bottom