King's Bounty: The Legend Thread

I played for quite many hours without it happening. But last time I played it happend after just 20 minutes play. I remmember exactly where it happend I was beating up that werewolf woodelf just to the west of the first little farming city. In the middle of the battle it began to slow down like crazy and the music started to chop chop chop and my mouse couldn't be moved. I waited and tried to alt+tab finally I could get it to run again. Stupidly enough I didn't save! and a little bit later the same thing happend again. Only this time it also gave me a blue screen of death and my computer rebooted. If I had this kind of problems in any other games I played I'd think it was a computer related problem. But since it only ever happend in kings bounty I don't really think so!

Stupidly enough I didn't save! .

It's a bit lighter on the autosave than most games of its type I've found, I'm used to rarely saving at all and then get surprised sometimes.

Has made it more interesting though, keeps me on my toes a bit.

Hm, my thoughts to this slow-down are:

- Index service beginning to run
- Virus scanner service beginning to run
- Swap file beginning to grow
- Something hardware-related (imho rather sound-related)

Maybe you could try increasing your sound buffers ? (Sorry, I don't remember anymore where you could change this ... It's definitively relatively deeply hidden ...)

I am also thinking it might be related to sound, I updated my drivers if it happens again. I will disable my soundcard and trying playing with the other one.

I am also thinking it might be related to sound, I updated my drivers if it happens again. I will disable my soundcard and trying playing with the other one.

Do the quicksave, it's rotating so you won't be losing anything, also, every time you go to a castle it automatically saves for you.
I have had some crashing problems very similar to yours in the release version, but they don't happen often, when they happen it's not a crash to desktop but a full computer freeze (or at least I haven't waited long enough to see if it comes back). But really I'm on my second play-through, and I think it's happened some 3 or 4 times total, so no big deal in my case.

I've only played in Normal difficulty, I'm too chicken to try hard or impossible. Even in normal, there were several fights that tested my limits (and some that just kicked my ass). Also, the world is randomized every time you play, so you may have had luck, or maybe you just have awesome strategy skills :)

I have had some crashing problems very similar to yours in the release version, but they don't happen often, when they happen it's not a crash to desktop but a full computer freeze

I played for quite a long time now, no crash, if it is so rare as you said I guess no need to worry about it so much.

I do think I have great strategy skill, I was only beaten onetime in HOMM and that time my friend made the map himself, and it was far from fair IMHO, let's just say there was much more goodies around his castle and much more baddies around mine :p

I also broke the home highscore list my score was too high to be displayed hehe. That was also playing on hardest difficulty level. I am loving that it'll become much harder later on. I think I can keep playing my demo char? just buy an activation code for the demo ?

Also, the world is randomized every time you play,
Is it really?!

I think sometimes when you load? it also chances the randomization? I found the world a bit different after I loaded the game after the crash?

one thing you should be careful about is to play a second character while playing another, the automatic and quick saves are general, not per-character, so if you start a new game and quicksave 3 times, it erases the other char's 3 quicksaves. If you want to do it, make sure you do a normal save game first.

I think I have to give up on the game :( It is very fun, but I just got another blue screen of death this time completely without warning and just before a combat no less. I guess I am having this problem much more frequently than you did wolfing :( hmm I found an updated version of the demo, going to try that!

I got some advice on the forum that installing omega drivers will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Did you ask in the game's forums ?

I'm having crashing problems very late in the game (that is to say, after 5 or 6 hours maybe of straight play) and fairly infrequently. They usually happen in the middle of a major combat. I get a warning from Vista that it tried to access something that it shouldn't or somesuch, and I think that's the equivalent of a BSoD on the older OS's.

I've noticed its made a little different than most games that are coming out these days as if it weren't made for the PC in mind. In particular the saves are in the program directory and not in the documents directory like most Vista games (although many games that are cross platform these days, like Puzzle Quest, are completely independent of Windows' registry).

On the random placement - I've heard its random but I have not encountered that yet though I've yet to start a new game. The area around the Darion Castle is identical to the Demo it seemed to me. Reloads of the previous saves, even in areas I've yet to be in, seem to have the same objects palced there

--

On the graphics: a lot of reviewers are bringing down the game on graphics. They may seem simple but I've noticed an attention to detail in them in a different direction than polygons.

For example, I walked by a pirate standing there in the Islands of Freedom and then I did a double take as he balanced his sword on his finger then caught it in the air. There's quite a number of creatures to encounter and they all do stuff.

There are other things you might not notice like the faces built into the side of some of the mountains.

Finally, I've noticed that the blow up combat terrain is based on the areas where you are standing when you entered combat. They aren't identical but they are pretty close. I thought at first it depended on area which is more typical but then I started noticing cliffs, the previously mentioned face on the wall, and the Book of Life when it became an obstacle. If I had to guess I think there is a dynamic element generating it, possibly tiles, even the terrain looks like it was manually adjusted.

gg, have you tried the Russian patch?

I'm going to try it again after twice winning the same huge battles listed as "overpowering" against me and winning both times.

On the random placement - I've heard its random but I have not encountered that yet though I've yet to start a new game. The area around the Darion Castle is identical to the Demo it seemed to me. Reloads of the previous saves, even in areas I've yet to be in, seem to have the same objects palced there

I believe the random placement is only activated at the start of a new game. It wouldn't make sense to randomize the world after every reload.

On the graphics: a lot of reviewers are bringing down the game on graphics. They may seem simple but I've noticed an attention to detail in them in a different direction than polygons.

Good point, I think the graphics are better than average, especially for a game of this type. Even after many hours spent with KB, I still find myself impressed by the attention to detail that you mention.

The English patch 1.6.5 is now available.

Patch and fix list can be found here.

rar format, weird. I expect a lot of complaints. my only guess why they'd do that is to prevent download rejections from the filtering of executables in zips.

--

I'm still getting a consistent error from that one battle. Windows Vista tells me its a "Stackhash_c590" then closes again with a DEP. Some people have managed to stop DEP errors by running it in compatibility mode but no go for me - I'm pretty sure this is not just a DEP issue.

Here goes the patch...

I've only experienced a single crash so far, it appeared to be completely random, I was on the world map at the time.

We should start a quest\spoiler thread for King's Bounty.

patch didn't help. I'll see if its documented in the forums. I'm taking on ancient treant group behind the sealed off section of the elf forest. Its definitely consistent but I'm betting the monsters there aren't depending on the game.

I tried the official forum only to find that many other people have the same crashing problems with BSOD. I think I have to give up on the game until I get a new computer!

Back
Top Bottom