The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

"Blanchard" - Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions.

well at this time i'm listening to T&C, Under Par and Identity Crisis from Thrice's album Identity Crisis as i am currently trying to learn the guitar parts for these songs.
if i aint learning parts for songs then i listen to a lot of different things in a short period of time.

I've got several new bands to sample and a couple have great promise, but for now I'm going with a tune that popped up on my MP3 today. Psychedelic gazer rock! This ain't dreampop today, kiddies. Crank it up.

"Trip Seat" by Thee Heavenly Music Association

I wonder when there will be as many shoegazing subgenres as there are those for electronic music. ;) The song briefly (one of the background instruments I think) reminded me of an old song that made the rounds a couple years back.

"Unicorns L.A." by My Barbarian.

Warning: this is like Tomacco, both terribly cringeworthy and strangely alluring.

Not really, Arhu. We throw a few modifiers around, but about the most we split it up is into Dreampop (atmosphere and melody) and Shoegaze (ye olde wall of sound). Many from "the scene" don't even make that division, but I think you really have to. While they've got a lot in common from a technical standpoint, you're looking at a completely different product, even between two of the three traditional pillars, Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine.

One of the new bands has turned out to be extremely good. I'll stick to my self-imposed rule of one-offering-per-day, but y'all have a real treat coming tomorrow. ;)

As promised, here's a new one for y'all. A solo act featuring a 17-year-old, this kid is really putting it together. Not sure what his "home studio" looks like, but his sound is better produced than many professional releasaes. Color me impressed, indeed.

"Surfacing" by Liam Ledgerwood

Well - I just emerged yesterday from my month+ Miles Davis onslaught from 1945 - 1992! Thousands of songs, tons of great stuff ... I've never done something like that before ...

Finally got around to buying Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - Infernal Machine CD ... he calls it a "steampunk big band', meaning that it is as though the big band era never ended and their music is modern jazz/rock/fusion interpreted through a big band lens. Quite cool stuff.

Last edited:
Not bad, DeepO, but I can't help hearing "Breakout" and that's a bad thing.

I've tried to put up my traditional Xmas tune, a stunning version of "What Child is This" from Claire Voyant. It's one of the very few Christmas tunes I really like, and Victoria and the boys really nail it. They normally put up a stream on their website each year, but no such luck this year. :(

So, I guess we'll go with a different one.
surprise!

And I suppose I might as well put up the last one.
I'm a little embarassed about this one

I had been listening to the album "Eric Woolfson sings The Alan Parsonds Project that never was" this morning ...
... as kind of a tribute to Eric Woolfson, who died earlier this December.

Miles Davis - 1970

Was recently reminded of how around this time Miles was getting criticized for 'going pop' and 'selling out' ... yet his stuff of the era remains nearly incomprehensible today by pop / rock folks ...

Miles Davis - 1970

Was recently reminded of how around this time Miles was getting criticized for 'going pop' and 'selling out' … yet his stuff of the era remains nearly incomprehensible today by pop / rock folks …

Yeah, he didn't really sell out until the 80s :D

Ok, somewhat related - you jazz fans should seriously pick up/download the album Simulated Progress by Fieldwork. It's Excellent stuff. Discovered them on Emusic.com, hadn't heard of them previously. There's some really low quality clips on Youtube but they give you an idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHx7n_-151M&feature=related

Yeah, he didn't really sell out until the 80s :D

Well, certainly not revolutionary, but having seen him live a few times in the 80's, still pretty amazing music he was putting together!

Nothing since Christmas. I'm slipping.

How about a cross between pop and gaze? I believe this crew is from Brazil, but it might be Chile.

"You Could be Me" by RH+ (formerly known as Rock Hudson)

Back
Top Bottom