Dragon Age 2 - Reinstall Article @ PC Gamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Chris Thursten of PC Gamer wants everyone to re-install Dragon Age 2 , and he posted a short article with his opinion on why you should. Now once again keep it civil please.

Dragon Age II is a reddish-brown city that you’ll never remember, occupied by people that you’ll never forget, and it is—as such—quite a lot like going to university. It’s a distinct and characterful voice applied to a familiar set of ideas, and a paean to the notion that these games have always been about personality first, game second. It could have been so much better, and yet, in its own way, it has yet to be bettered.
More information.

I still like the game concept, even if the implementation left some things to be desired. Playing a character with an established family and a place in the community is an idea worth further exploration.

I still like the game concept, even if the implementation left some things to be desired. Playing a character with an established family and a place in the community is an idea worth further exploration.
I agree despite the games shortcomings it provided a new take on narrative. Instead of a your the hero who saved the world it was a more personal story about family.

I also liked how Bioware let you decide hawks fate in DA:I. Now I wont spoil what happens in the game, but we all know what happens to heroes in real life.:tears:

Last edited:
How dare you forbade my Wrath of Khan'iness on this vile product of evil ! :shakefist:

I smite at thee, with Awesome Things!

Click, Show More to see the lyrics.

Yes well I will counter with an article from Kotaku.

Link - http://kotaku.com/5875251/not-everyone-hates-dragon-age-ii—you-know
So it's nice to see that there are folks out there who disagree with the critical consensus. Regardless of its frustrating faults, Dragon Age II should not be dismissed, and not simply because it has a sequel coming that Might Fix Everything. For the time being, it's enough that Dragon Age II is a work worthy of its own discussion; it is perfectly capable of standing on its own to be criticized for its failings and celebrated for its successes.

The article may cause shock and disbelief among many members of this site.:biggrin:

I never cared for user reviews so nice try. :p

Anyway I have what I call personal tastes, and a mind of my own.:cool:

This is quite relaxing so thank you for the opportunity to just have a little fun instead of always being serious. I'm serious about liking all three Dragon Age games though.;)

Last edited:
This game may have been good if it was by a different developer.

While I can appreciate certain elements about DA2 and found playing through it a worthy enough endeavour, that doesn't stop it from being a bit of a stinker, IMO. I can't think of a single game I've ever played where I HAVEN'T found at least one thing that I didn't enjoy. I also found redeeming qualities in Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, if that speaks to my level of forgiveness when it comes to games.

Now, I'd say that DA2 isn't quite that bad, but it remains the only game I've ever played where I turned the difficulty down to its easiest setting, simply to get the experience over with sooner. It remains the only Bioware game I've played only once, and that with a sense of dogged determination more than because I was having fun (which, in the grand scheme of my game playing, still puts it above those games that I've never managed to finish even once). It remains the only Bioware game where I've had a companion leave my group permanently, and I didn't feel strongly enough about it to even bother reloading to see if i could keep her around.

I found it worth the price I paid for it (6.00 off Ebay), but I have absolutely no desire to reinstall it and suffer through it again, and it even managed to kill my interest in the DA series as a whole, though that's not solely due to DA2. Awakening was enough to make me realize that those elements I didn't much care for in Origins were actually being highlighted, rather than eliminated, and that didn't bode well for DA2 or the series as a whole. Even Inquisition, a game which I'd normally be drooling over given its bullet-point feature list, simply holds no interest for me right now. At this point, I know what I'd be getting myself into. Can easily do without.

Will end up laughing my @ss off, though, if, in a few years, some hack on the internet comes out with a "hidden gems that absolutely MUST be played" kind of list, and DA2 somehow makes it on there. Sometimes, the general consensus actually does get it right. In DA2's case, I feel they did. Not the more rabidly vitriolic group -- DA2 does, as mentioned, have its moments -- but the game really did damage Bioware's brand, I think.

After all the negative reviews, I never played DA2. I did enjoy DA:Origins, except for the grind in Deep Roads. That seemed like an interminable area.

I like DA:I so far, though it feels like a completely different game than the first in game play. I may have to try DA2 afterwards.

it was enjoyable at times, but overall I couldnt wait for Dragon Age II to end. The combat was fun, but after wave 3 of cheap-shot enemies spawning in the middle of your strategic plan - not so much.

The experience was hurt tremendously by all the constant recycling - of everything from environments to waves of foes. It was a major boner-breaker after Origins, which still stands in my pantheon of personal favorite RPG greats.

And Im sorry, what they did to the Mabari War hound was terrible. That was one of my favorite companions in Dragon Age. To reduce the Mabari to a summonable ability, I'm sorry is unforgiveable…

Mabari-War-Dog-by-Lizkay-298x300.jpg

Last edited:
it was enjoyable at times, but overall I couldnt wait for Dragon Age II to end. The combat was fun, but after wave 3 of cheap-shot enemies spawning in the middle of your strategic plan - not so much.

The experience was hurt tremendously by all the constant recycling - of everything from environments to waves of foes. It was a major boner-breaker after Origins, which still stands in my pantheon of personal favorite RPG greats.

And Im sorry, what they did to the Mabari War hound was terrible. That was one of my favorite companions in Dragon Age. To reduce the Mabari to a summonable ability, I'm sorry is unforgiveable…

Mabari-War-Dog-by-Lizkay-298x300.jpg

I have to agree on the dog. I played DAO 4 times though completely and the Mabari was always one of my companions. I never gave him up. He and my character stuck it out to the very end. I was so dismayed to see the proud and noble Mabari reduced to a simple spell in the second game.

Even worse in the third game - not only could you not have them as a companion, not even a summon, but they were mainly enemies you had to kill. I just avoided those fights.

No. No. No. The game sucked. The execution sucked. It required Origin platform. Three strikes, you are sentenced to fifty years. Play Tetris instead, you'll thank me.

My main complaints with DA2 were the boring maps (the same 3 or 4 dungeons reused without end) and especially what they did with Anders (who was my favorite companion in Awakening)

I inquired about whether the DA2 maps could be redone, but was told the necessary tools aren't available. Most of the mods are retextures and appearance changes.

From what I can remember besides great disappointment for the game is:

-Hawk has a house and it requires way to much of my time visiting this house.
-The choices you made in the game really didn't matter at all.
- Cut and paste dungeons to the point where all they did was block out the way you went the first time through, though it was to be a different dungeon.
-running back and forth just to run into respawn over and over again..
-Really there wasn't much fun about this game at all

Last edited:
I'm going to add one more to the list.

I hated the 10 year span thing. Bioware's execution was terrible, IMO. I have no idea who these random people are, and Hawke talks to them like old friends (Erm, do I know you? We just met?)

Back
Top Bottom