Frayed Knights - Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A small update for those following Frayed Knights that illustrates the tedium in any job - even a labour of love:
It can be astonishing to me just how much time gets consumed - even when I'm wide awake - doing something simple like placing doors in doorways. The allure of a tile-based engine becomes pretty clear as I'm tweaking the size, the angle, and the position of the collision volume (which, in this engine and the way I'm handling things, has to be a completely separate entity from the door). I find myself spending something like 8 minutes per door.

On a freakin' DOOR. Yeah, something that in a tile-based system would amount to, "which of the eight door styles do I choose." A 30-second job. And this is just for doors that aren't locked or trapped or blocked off...
More information.

This is the kind of post that makes me particularly sad about piracy.

Same could be said about the move from 2d to 3d. When once, a character could be created by making a sprite in a few minutes, it now becomes a whole 3D model that, if you're really good, will still take you several hours, if not days.

Well, in a recent "Tales Of Monkey Island" a Mark Darin says that 2D would be too cost-intensive for Telltale.
Weird world.

The interview can be read here: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/07/19/tales-of-monkey-island-interview/1

bt: Why did you decide to make the new series a 3D game, rather than using a hi-res 2D approach?

MD: Our studio was designed from the ground up to use a 3D engine versatile enough to deliver episodic games. Hi-res 2D takes a lot of time, and a lot of money, and is also very restrictive in terms of what can be done cinematically. As you see our game in motion you’ll see why we can do so much more in 3D than we could have in 2D.

Same could be said about the move from 2d to 3d. When once, a character could be created by making a sprite in a few minutes, it now becomes a whole 3D model that, if you're really good, will still take you several hours, if not days.

This might be true if it is very simple 2d with very little animation.

Indeed, high-res 2d takes a lot longer compared to 3d graphics, if you want to make an animation for example you have to draw a lot of high res images taking forever. While in 3d you make one model rig the bones, and you're ready to go with almost any animation.

This might be true if it is very simple 2d with very little animation.

Indeed, high-res 2d takes a lot longer compared to 3d graphics, if you want to make an animation for example you have to draw a lot of high res images taking forever. While in 3d you make one model rig the bones, and you're ready to go with almost any animation.

Indeed. If I remember correctly, in the latest wave of 2D games, most animations and actually most objects were actually produced by rendering 3D models, because that was actually a cheaper way to get a high quality result.

I love reading his RSS feeds ... but it is excruciating as it is exactly the type of busywork I was dealing with at my work when I saw it ... I felt for him.

Back
Top Bottom