The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Some pointers for Ragnaris, starting from Love Spirals Downwards.

Often accused of being an LSD tribute band, but they took things in a little different direction:

*snippet*

Again, these are all excellent. Thank you for sharing. In particular, I'm very fond of Malory's "Lake of Doubts" and "Deserted and Desolate" by Autumn's Grey Solace. Siddal's Hurricane was a good listen, too. When I've got time, I should post a few. I don't go searching for new artists as much as I used to, perhaps I should rekindle that flame.

For now, I'll leave with this, which is the track that Lycia is perhaps most known for.

Alright, Ragnaris, I can work with that. You definitely seem to prefer the dreamy side of the spectrum. My taste probably runs a little closer to indie pop, but I've got some options. I really, really fell in love with the Hatchie stuff that Thrasher put up a while back. That sort of pins down my auditory sweet spot.

You definitely should dig deeper into Malory when you get a chance. Songs like "Dany" and "I Can't Stand" would probably be right in your range.

Anyhoo, let's see what other stuff I can toss out there. Hmmmm. Doubt these will be new for Hurls, but we'll see.

Not a huge fan of most of their work, but the chorus section of this one is wonderful-
"Can't Disappear" by Pluramon

This group might fit the bill-
"Locust" by Daniel Land and the Modern Painters

These guys hooked me up with MP3's for their debut EP prior to the release. A little more dense sound-
"Velvet" by Snow in Mexico

Last one for today, classic gazing out of Finland-
"Gleaming Endless Ocean" by Scarlet Youth

@dteowner; - huh!! I knew all of them and love malory!
Yeah, since I don't listen to as much of the dreamy, atmospheric side of things my stable of obscurity isn't very deep on that side. Of course, shoegaze is closing in on 30 years old, so folks that have followed it closely like you have had plenty of time to root out lesser-known participants. Plus, you were active on the same shoegaze board as I was back in the day (Just checked and it's still there and not quite dead) so there's a lot of overlap in information.

Showing my age, but I did my best "mining" back in the MySpace days. Got personal responses from many bands, and the networking of groups with a similar style was excellent. You could start with a band you knew and after an hour of "link madness" could have a dozen new bands with similar sounds worth checking out. And if you did check them out and give them a little love, they'd reach out. I'm a pissant nobody, but I had probably a dozen different bands send me CD's or MP3 files or similar after I'd put one of their songs in my MySpace Top 10. Even "normal people" seemed to be paying attention to the songs and bands I'd put in the list. Very cool. I was certainly no GroovyJim, though.

Yeah, since I don't listen to as much of the dreamy, atmospheric side of things my stable of obscurity isn't very deep on that side. Of course, shoegaze is closing in on 30 years old, so folks that have followed it closely like you have had plenty of time to root out lesser-known participants. Plus, you were active on the same shoegaze board as I was back in the day (Just checked and it's still there and not quite dead) so there's a lot of overlap in information.

Showing my age, but I did my best "mining" back in the MySpace days. Got personal responses from many bands, and the networking of groups with a similar style was excellent. You could start with a band you knew and after an hour of "link madness" could have a dozen new bands with similar sounds worth checking out. And if you did check them out and give them a little love, they'd reach out. I'm a pissant nobody, but I had probably a dozen different bands send me CD's or MP3 files or similar after I'd put one of their songs in my MySpace Top 10. Even "normal people" seemed to be paying attention to the songs and bands I'd put in the list. Very cool. I was certainly no GroovyJim, though.

Wow!! A touch harder to do in Australia. In the early 90s I was working for IBM and spent months in the USA (both coasts and middle bits but not really south) and I used to haunt the college secondhand CD shops and had a friend in SF I often stayed with (she worked for Netscape employee # 13 for the geeks out there as old as me) and I would ask all the shops that had music playing I liked what the bands were. That was how I first heard of Lush, Spinanes, Curve, cranes, Hole, etc.. The people in the shops would write the lists, I'd visit the second-hand CD shops and if not there, then Tower records and buy them as new. Also pre-google the search engines weren't really, rather hierarchical directories and I would find new music, for example, Gala by Lush, and the local CD store would go search for me, they loved the challenge.

In that last set loved honeybreath and cork. I can find where to buy honeybreath but can't find cork, any ideas???

This afternoon I spent a few hours listening to some of the Talking Heads greatest albums. What a great band, and it always thrills me to know that my most favourite group took their name from one of the Talking Heads songs. Great stuff, if you've never tried them, treat yourself!

That was how I first heard of Lush
Funny that. Seeing Lush's "For Love" on 120 Minutes was my introduction to shoegaze and got me going on the whole scene.
In that last set loved honeybreath and cork. I can find where to buy honeybreath but can't find cork, any ideas???
I'm amazed either one of those were still available. I need to send you a couple MP3s from cork. Unreleased tracks that they made available for a very short time on MP3.com (another internet blast from the past!). Google pointed me to Soundcloud, so maybe those songs are out in the wild again and not as exclusive as I thought. https://soundcloud.com/misty-murphy-3/sets/cork-unreleased-tracks

Not religious myself - but I find the song a strong expression for the kind of spiritual bond I would have loved to feel with pretty much anything, really.

Alright, Ragnaris, I can work with that. You definitely seem to prefer the dreamy side of the spectrum.

Certainly. I enjoy the moody, atmospheric approach, I suppose it's often attributed to dark wave.

You definitely should dig deeper into Malory when you get a chance. Songs like "Dany" and "I Can't Stand" would probably be right in your range.

Malory definitely caught my interest. I'd like to see what else they have and I'll be looking into them this evening.

Anyhoo, let's see what other stuff I can toss out there. Hmmmm.

Daniel Land and Scarlet Youth seem to be a bit more my style. I don't know if I'm very fond of the other two, but I'll browse around some of of their other work and see if anything stands out.

Certainly. I enjoy the moody, atmospheric approach, I suppose it's often attributed to dark wave.

Malory definitely caught my interest. I'd like to see what else they have and I'll be looking into them this evening.

Daniel Land and Scarlet Youth seem to be a bit more my style. I don't know if I'm very fond of the other two, but I'll browse around some of of their other work and see if anything stands out.

I’d also suggest first two Tamaryn albums, almost anything by Daysleepers, first 4 Air Formation, these are all on the dreamy side. There are also several south American bands whose names I can't remember

Some X-Mas Music by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Alright then, I've got a few more stabs to take. :)

Michael did an awesome drawing for me and sent it with the CD back in the day-
"Dark Slow Deep" by Dreamgaze

Perhaps something a little more goth-
"Blinking Tears" by Claire Voyant

More traditional dreamy gazing-
"Bless" by Fathom 5

Slightly more pop take from a gazer band-
"Beryl and Jasper" by Midsummer

Back
Top Bottom