Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Another tip that may have been overlooked, if one of your characters is in trouble in melee, quickly switch on Acrobatics if they have it and you can sneak out of harm's way without taking an attack of opportunity. It's saved my squishy Archaeologist numerous times already. Basic tip but I missed it for the first 180 hours. :lol:

After reading some stuff online, a tip on character building: Do not build your character for the sake of late excellence. Build them to shine early, for instance starting at level 10, or 12.

Chances are, you may not reach level 18-20, or reach it very late. At the very least, do not build characters only for their level 20 capstone ability. (More reasons to multiclasss! Yeay!)

I generally tend to not multiclass my characters in any games, but some of the builds here has some serious strengths if you go that direction. Especially while in the very beginning of the game.

I generally tend to not multiclass my characters in any games, but some of the builds here has some serious strengths if you go that direction. Especially while in the very beginning of the game.

Multiclassing can help in a lot of ways. My biggest multiclass has been my main character, who is 4 Archaeologist (Bard)/3 Rogue. He can cast a few specific spells like Heroism, Hideous Laughter, etc. with Improved Initiative, but his sneak attack damage is sweet, and he gets his Archaeologist's Luck which increases his chances of landing (and more). I also have him with a shield feat that gives he and Valerie a bonus to their AC when adjacent to each other. He's turning into an interesting character so far.

Another tip: Always rest on the area maps themselves. That way you trigger banter dialogue and also other events after camping ends, like romance-related options or additional dialogue. Tristian just gave me some potions as a gift for saving him, for example. If you rest on the world map you don't get any of that.

Another tip: Always rest on the area maps themselves. That way you trigger banter dialogue and also other events after camping ends, like romance-related options or additional dialogue. Tristian just gave me some potions as a gift for saving him, for example. If you rest on the world map you don't get any of that.

Good point.

Some additional tips on resting, when you are short in time: make sure to have good camp camo. If your camp gets attacked that seems to prolong resting.

And if you have (against all likelihoods) lots of time on your hands: do not use camo. Getting attacked means Monsters+EXP+Loot. In connection to that, some areas seem to have different likelihoods and monster compositions of camp attacks.
For instance, in the southern Narlmarch there's the area "Monster Den". It seems to have a quite large likelihood of being attacked by large-sized beasts.

I have not tested that extensively, but the few times I rested there I always got stuff like giants, giant slugs, or hydras. Never had so much of that anywhere else, at least early in the game. And with the name of that area, I guess it makes sense.

Good point.

Some additional tips on resting, when you are short in time: make sure to have good camp camo. If your camp gets attacked that seems to prolong resting.

And if you have (against all likelihoods) lots of time on your hands: do not use camo. Getting attacked means Monsters+EXP+Loot. In connection to that, some areas seem to have different likelihoods and monster compositions of camp attacks.
For instance, in the southern Narlmarch there's the area "Monster Den". It seems to have a quite large likelihood of being attacked by large-sized beasts.

I have not tested that extensively, but the few times I rested there I always got stuff like giants, giant slugs, or hydras. Never had so much of that anywhere else, at least early in the game. And with the name of that area, I guess it makes sense.

Yep, every area does have a resting DC so I assume different types of monsters can spawn. When short on time also use rations, as hunting can sometimes take 19 hours at the worst, or even 13, etc.. Saves time to use rations.

A question with early-game spoilers:

I'm at the point where I keep encountering
the Technic League slavers
as a random encounter. I'm having a little trouble beating them, and I don't want
to lose a companion
, so I've reloaded twice after losing the battle.

However, I'm now seeing hints online that the rewards for losing this battle are quite a bit better than the rewards for winning -- that
a questline is triggered where you track them to a camp and rescue them along with other prisoners.

I still hate to let myself lose to these creeps, though! If the battle is won, can anyone confirm whether access to
the slave camp
is lost forever, or only delayed? I don't mind waiting a while for loot if it lets me keep my pride.

Also,
who are those other prisoners? Are they potential companions?

@Hexprone;
I never lost the battle (or a companion) during that encounter, so I can only report on the outcome of winning the battle.
You still get to follow the slavers, since the leader escapes. After leaving the area of the encounter, you have to beat a few skill checks (Nature I think? And a second one?). If you succeed, the slaver camp is revealed to you. I suspect, even if you do not succeed, you will see the camp if you get close to it. It's somewhere near to the elk temple.
In the camp, you can free 4 prisoners, two of which are also potential companions.

Yep, I happened to just rest there last session and was mauled by a Primal Hydra and 2 Venomhydra! The areas definitely seem to have mixed results, and I know I read somewhere that the areas have DCs for how successful your rest will be. I'm sure you'll find different monsters in different areas, even with random encounters (the Dire Narlmarches have massively strong enemies in random encounters, at least when you're lower level).

Yes, you only trigger romance dialogues after the rest at local map. My romance with Tristian is over due to a bug though lol. Fluent - are you playing female PC??? I thought Tristian is straight romance option for female PCs.

Yes, you only trigger romance dialogues after the rest at local map. My romance with Tristian is over due to a bug though lol. Fluent - are you playing female PC??? I thought Tristian is straight romance option for female PCs.

Sorry about the bug.:( I'm not romancing Tristian, male PC but sometimes other things trigger as well. That was more of a friendship thing, so apparently different things can happen after resting on a map.

Not a big deal re: bug :) I was going to do a multiple playthrough anyway :D This time with crusader cleric with the blonde girl portrait.

If anyone is interested in experiencing romance, for the earlier dialogues, make sure you pick the dialogue with non alignment based one. For example in this screenshot, pick the middle option:

3byrVXk.jpg
https://imgur.com/3byrVXk.jpg

Not a big deal re: bug :) I was going to do a multiple playthrough anyway :D This time with crusader cleric with the blonde girl portrait.

If anyone is interested in experiencing romance, for the earlier dialogues, make sure you pick the dialogue with non alignment based one. For example in this screenshot, pick the middle option:

I got that same dialogue but I didn't have the second (romance) option. Just the 2 alignment options.

Not sure if anyone said this, but invest in perception. I'm getting annoyed that my party is failing to make the check for traps/hidden areas after a reload lol.

C&C is really good in this game. I dealt with the troll problem very quickly in my 2nd playthrough and found out that:

the mage in the lone house don't even get attacked by trolls - which means he doesn't ask my party to fetch his whip but he's not in a risk of dying (i.e. losing potential advisor)

I'm still waiting on another hotfix… I can't progress with my 1st playthrough because one of my advisor just vanished from my kingdom =.=

Last edited:
Would love to dive into this but all the bug talk is scaring me off.

Due to RL time restraints I barely have time to play through games once nowadays so I definitely can’t do multiple play throughs. I don’t want a bunch of minor bugs ruining my experience or worse yet a game breaking bug deep into the game that would cause me to quit and not return.

No tip here but I guess the tricks on me for breaking my ‘ don’t buy a game until it’s fully patched and all dlc is released’ rule.

@you; choice and consequences.

I'm still waiting on patches for this one, right now I don't see me jumping back in until probably next year.

And yeah, I'm a big fan of having perception cranked up in the group. I think one of my folks is just under thirty score, and another is around twenty-five. Seems to be quite the important stat to me, I don't enjoy missing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom