Phoenix Point - Epic Games Store Announcement

Right. Where was that? And why didn't you buy it? :)

CDkeys.com. Reason I didn't buy it at the time was that it was dearer than the normal pre-orders I buy from there, but having played and thoroughly enjoyed the previous Metros I was happy to commit and buy it, I was just about to….. well you know the rest.

A lot of misinformation getting thrown around here. It's obvious some of you have no idea what you're talking about.

Epic didn't remove any games off of Steam. It was the publisher's choice to sign an exclusivity agreement that would remove their game from Steam.

And for someone to say they want those games to fail now because they don't like that business decision is petty and ignorant.

Your the misinformed one. Epic gave them a buttload of cash so the publisher pulled it. I’m pretty sure i gave them both blame.

There’s also nothing petty or ignorant about my opinion as its just that an opinion.

I know you like to start calling names when people post negatively about games you like just as every time someone mentions the Witcher you mysteriously show up.

You don’t care about what they did and that’s fine , but it won’t kill you to respect peoples right to care.

CDkeys.com. Reason I didn't buy it at the time was that it was dearer than the normal pre-orders I buy from there, but having played and thoroughly enjoyed the previous Metros I was happy to commit and buy it, I was just about to….. well you know the rest.

Interesting. It just so happens that I originally purchased from there as well, and it wasn't cheaper than Epic. It was a few dollars cheaper than buying it directly from Steam, but Epic was still cheaper.

Your the misinformed one. Epic gave them a buttload of cash so the publisher pulled it. I’m pretty sure i gave them both blame.

There’s also nothing petty or ignorant about my opinion as its just that an opinion.

I know you like to start calling names when people post negatively about games you like just as every time someone mentions the Witcher you mysteriously show up.

You don’t care about what they did and that’s fine , but it won’t kill you to respect peoples right to care.

Here's what you said.
My issue is simply the way their going about it. Yanking Metro off steam at the last second and now using a kickstarter to boost installs of their client, again at the last second just rubs me the wrong way.

You're clearly talking about Epic there and acting as if the publisher didn't have a choice.

And I wasn't calling anyone names. Nice passive-agressive attack on your part though.

Wanting developers to fail just because you don't like that they didn't choose your favorite platform IS petty and ignorant. That's just stating a fact.

Interesting. It just so happens that I originally purchased from there as well, and it wasn't cheaper than Epic. It was a few dollars cheaper than buying it directly from Steam, but Epic was still cheaper.

The price went up by about £6-£8.00 as I remember, plus I prefer to play it on steam, not that I won't play it on Epic.

The price went up by about £6-£8.00 as I remember, plus I prefer to play it on steam, not that I won't play it on Epic.

It never showed any price increase over here. I find it odd that it would only happen in the UK.

I also prefer Steam, but I definitely don't regret installing Epic to play Exodus. It was more than worth it.

This game is just not my cup of tea so I won't be buying it anywhere. However, Steam is full of advantages for buyers and sorry but I'm just not seeing anything Epic can offer to the consumer that Steam can't beat 10x .

Forums(not just to diss on a game) where you can talk about the game, talk about mods for the game, why the game doesn't work and what fixes it. They let people make servers. All kinds of good stuff. The Steam sales! The usual talkup frenzy that begins just before the game is released. Gamers need and demand feedback. Epic store feels like "Here's the game and if you don't like it, well, whatever"

I don't mind paying full price for a game as long as it's finished and they never are finished lately. You can talk to developers on Steam in plain view and people can add their 2 cents worth. The idea of having to submit a ticket to someone is repugnant to me when someone else( a customer) might already have the answer and who knows when you will get a ticket answered. I like feedback on my game and yes there are other forums where you can get that but can you ask others to join you right now in game on Epic?

Here's what you said.

You're clearly talking about Epic there and acting as if the publisher didn't have a choice.

And I wasn't calling anyone names. Nice passive-agressive attack on your part though.

Wanting developers to fail just because you don't like that they didn't choose your favorite platform IS petty and ignorant. That's just stating a fact.

Now your telling me what I meant. Your arrogance is astounding.

You obviously didn't read my first post. I use almost every client it has nothing to do with favorites.

If developers have to fail to stop this then so be it.

sorry you don't agree. No, that's not true.

I think JDR13 is stepping up his game because now that Dart's gone, someone has to be the antagonizer around here. :biggrin:

Also taken from the AMA yesterday epic is offering them a $1,000,000 sales guarantee.

Now if they earn more than the one million epic takes it back and then goes to the normal 12% cut. It's basically an insurance deal to pad losses if the exclusive deal fails.

Now your telling me what I meant. Your arrogance is astounding.

You obviously didn't read my first post. I use almost every client it has nothing to do with favorites.

If developers have to fail to stop this then so be it.

sorry you don't agree. No, that's not true.

Um…that was from your first post.

If you want to act like a butthurt child now because I called you out on an ignorant statement, cool. But if you're going to voice an opinion that drastic you should expect a reaction.

Last edited:
I think JDR13 is stepping up his game because now that Dart's gone, someone has to be the antagonizer around here. :biggrin:

Cute, but I'm not trying to antagonize anyone. I just think it's sad for someone to make a statement like that when we're supposed to be passionate about games and the industry here.

There's nothing wrong with not liking Epic or a publisher's decision to partner with them, but to hope for a project and its developers to completely fail because of it is nothing short of pathetic. We're talking about people losing their jobs.

Of course the usual idiots seem to like the idea, but that's not surprising.

Cut out the insults. Epic is effective bribing developers to enhance their store. In the long run this has been shown to be bad for consumers. It is perfectly legal but don't confuse yourself as to what is happening. Steam historically (to the public knowledge) has not done this sort of thing. They have an effective store that is beneficial to developers so developers make the choice to use them. A common complaint with gog (beyond the drm issue) is that their tools (for developers) are not as clean as steams. Epic isn't attracting these deals because of the effectiveness of their store - they are throwing cash around. In the long run this allows big corps to drive small corps out of business and drive up prices (i'm not saying this will happen with steam but it is clear what sort of tactic epic is using). I guess you approve of these sort of tactics given your stubborn defense of epic business practices.

Um…that was from your first post.

If you want to act like a butthurt child now because I called you out on an ignorant statement, cool. But if you're going to voice an opinion that drastic you should expect a reaction.

Cut out the insults. Epic is effective bribing developers to enhance their store. In the long run this has been shown to be bad for consumers. It is perfectly legal but don't confuse yourself as to what is happening. Steam historically (to the public knowledge) has not done this sort of thing. They have an effective store that is beneficial to developers so developers make the choice to use them. A common complaint with gog (beyond the drm issue) is that their tools (for developers) are not as clean as steams. Epic isn't attracting these deals because of the effectiveness of their store - they are throwing cash around. In the long run this allows big corps to drive small corps out of business and drive up prices (i'm not saying this will happen with steam but it is clear what sort of tactic epic is using). I guess you approve of these sort of tactics given your stubborn defense of epic business practices.

Epic has every right to spend money to try to get a piece of a market that's currently dominated mostly by a single company. You talk about "tactics" as if what they're doing is somehow morally wrong. Epic establishing itself as a player isn't going to drive small corps out of business nor is it going to drive up prices.

Please don't pretend to know what you're talking about when you obviously don't.

Actually Epic usage of cash to derived by other means to enhance their store in the market place is likely to drive up prices and drive competition out of business in the long run. It might not drive steam out of business but it is already having a negative impact on GOG and that is in a very short period of time. What are likely to be the effects after a couple of years. They currently charge developers (I interchange devleopers with publishers) very low rates because the store doens' thave to be profitable. Naturally if competition dries up they will be free to charge higher rates. While there is no guarantee this will happen historically this is exactly the tactic they will take.
-
Either you have been blind to do these tactics or your comments are based on the current very short timeline as the business establishes itself. I have no clue which is the case nor do i really care. In any event yea - I think these tactics are anti consumer and not really ethical. A quality business provides a quality service - Epic is using business practices to push their way into the market place (brute force) rather than actually trying to provide a quality service.

Epic has every right to spend money to try to get a piece of a market that's currently dominated mostly by a single company. You talk about "tactics" as if what they're doing is somehow morally wrong. Epic establishing itself as a player isn't going to drive small corps out of business nor is it going to drive up prices.

Please don't pretend to know what you're talking about when you obviously don't.

The likely one to suffer will probably be GOG not Steam. They survive on thin margins and the Epic competition, such as it is, will make it tougher for them. Luckily they have Cyberpunk 2077 coming up sometime in the future. For me this is annoying because I like the DRM free games and extra compatibility they offer.

Its like replacing a jungle with a planted forest. There is no undergrowth and the overall ecosystem derives little benefit from it.

Actually Epic usage of cash to derived by other means to enhance their store in the market place is likely to drive up prices and drive competition out of business in the long run. It might not drive steam out of business but it is already having a negative impact on GOG and that is in a very short period of time. What are likely to be the effects after a couple of years. They currently charge developers (I interchange devleopers with publishers) very low rates because the store doens' thave to be profitable. Naturally if competition dries up they will be free to charge higher rates. While there is no guarantee this will happen historically this is exactly the tactic they will take.

That's a whole lot of speculation on your part, but that's all it amounts to. Get back to me when Epic single-handedly manages to drive up prices in this industry.

Either you have been blind to do these tactics or your comments are based on the current very short timeline as the business establishes itself. I have no clue which is the case nor do i really care. In any event yea - I think these tactics are anti consumer and not really ethical. A quality business provides a quality service - Epic is using business practices to push their way into the market place (brute force) rather than actually trying to provide a quality service.

Cool story. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom