Tyranny - More Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Guardian:

Tyranny review – a rich and entertaining exploration of evil

The latest role-playing fantasy from the Pillars of Eternity creators puts players into a morally ambiguous universe of tyrants and mercenaries

The latest isometric RPG from the creators of Pillars of Eternity casts you in the role of a reluctant or zealous antihero (depending on how you play), serving the Overlord Kyros, a being of immense and undeniable power who beat the forces of good and essentially rules the world. You exist to snuff out the last resistance to this tyrant but that doesn’t necessarily make you a bad person.

[...]

Whatever legacy players leave on the world of Terratus, Tyranny will leave a lasting legacy on RPGs. This is a game that truly takes on the whole concept of evil and does it justice.

Score: 4/5
GameRant:

Tyranny Review

Obsidian returns to the world of old-school RPG gaming with aplomb through Tyranny, a fantasy epic armed to the teeth with a plot of deception and intrigue.

Although Obsidian Entertainment has been grabbing headlines over recent months due to its work on the upcoming South Park: The Fractured But Whole, along with its desire to work on a new Fallout game, the developer has also been returning to its roots in C-RPGs. Last year, the developer released Pillars of Eternity, which had tremendous success as a callback to the days of what many consider to be the height of the power of Western RPGs. Now, Obsidian has again gone back to that game style with the launch of Tyranny.

[...]

Of course, the game is not perfect, and some may find the odd all-or-nothing decision regarding forces to recruit jarring, or the locations within the world itself a little too devoid of scope to be a truly immersive experience. However, it’s in the large concepts, and in its gentle manipulation of the player’s trained responses, that Tyranny finds its purpose. A must-have for fans of the genre, and a worthwhile title for those after a truly different experience.

Score: 4.5/5
Shacknews:

Tyranny Review: Illusions of Grandeur

Positive:

• Excellent world-building and story
  • Evil point of view feels fresh
  • Dialogue is clear and concise, helps push the story forward cleanly
Negative:

• Tiresome combat system
  • Choices feel limited in pivotal situations
  • Lack of companion quests leave them feeling one-sided
  • Abrupt ending with no resolution
Score: 8.5/10
More information.

Well after 6h i got bored, feels like a low budget addon or something, and the combat is just disastrous. Didnt finished POE either but at least that one i liked alot and played it for 120h.

Hopefully it will sell well, and maybe they will make something scifi next

Hopefully it will sell well, and maybe they will make something scifi next

You don't know if they will or won't. But NOW they are charging full price for a "low budget addon". So I hope that it doesn't sell well.

The reviews seem mostly positive, which is good. Hopefully it does sells well and they can turn a profit on their efforts. Playing evil isn't really my style though.

Very, very bland experience.. i enjoyed PoE more than this and PoE was mediocre to begin with...

i don't own the game but every time i read reviews of AAA titles i feel they have 1 or 2 more rating points by default

i don't own the game but every time i read reviews of AAA titles i feel they have 1 or 2 more rating points by default

Reviewers have to earn their pre-launch copies somehow don't they?

I think this is true. One magazine I read used to breakdown their reviews into 10 categories each worth 10 points. One was graphics and one was sound. Indie games would average around 4-6 points in this category, AAA games 8-10.

Been playing a few hours but am still not far into the game. So far I love the depth of the lore, and the writing has lots of good humor. It's truly enjoyable to read some of the conversations with companions and npc's, however at times they also feel like a lore dump.
Talking more about combat would be beating a dead horse at this point I think. I try to avoid reading reviews while playing to not be influenced by it but talk of combat has been hard to avoid.
I was very impressed with character creation, it seemed like the game had a lot of complexity. That was until I opened the talents tab ingame and was utterly disappointed by the simplicity of it. Very few of the talents actually gave me the feeling of 'awesome' or 'I want that!' and leveling up doesn't feel particularly rewarding to be honest.

That being said, it's not a bad game..it could just use some more complexity. And if you enjoy a well written game then I am absolutely loving the writing so far.

Is Tyranny an AAA product?

Yeah its hard to say where to draw the line. It was made by a good sized studio with a good sized team. Most indie games are usually made by a team of 1-10 people. I think the Pillars of Eternity team had between 25-30 team members. I'm sure that's much less than something like Fallout 4 had. News magazines treat games like Pillars and Wasteland 2 as if they were AAA games though.

Yeah its hard to say where to draw the line. It was made by a good sized studio with a good sized team. Most indie games are usually made by a team of 1-10 people. I think the Pillars of Eternity team had between 25-30 team members. I'm sure that's much less than something like Fallout 4 had. News magazines treat games like Pillars and Wasteland 2 as if they were AAA games though.

It seems to me that Obsidian/Paradox is the AAA of indies, and the indies of AAA :D

It seems to me that Obsidian/Paradox is the AAA of indies, and the indies of AAA :D

That's a good way to put it. I don't think Tyranny budget was anywhere near AAA titles, but it doesn't feel indie either.

Worse than Pillars of Eternity. They stole the story of Blackguards 2 just shuffled letters in same names, Kyros, 1st Kyrios, Iron Legion, etc.. Lame story concept art, very lame character generation, super boring pre-story, worse UI than Pillars… Uninstalled at first dialogue begin it was so bad. Refund!

Only reason I want it to do well is so that Obsidian doesn't go under and Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky's reunion can continue. The title itself looks pretty lazy to be honest.

Only reason I want it to do well is to get good old Black Isle back in it's glory.

It's just I'm not impressed seeing them flirt with inferior hardware designs and wasting time on some MMO. Sure, those things bring $, but what was the point of making Obsidian in the first place? I don't think it was selling souls to garbage and averageness.

I mean, how about striking a deal with Square Enix on Anox reboot/sequel and hiring Tom Hall? Lack of funds? Go Kickstarter or something! I'm pretty sure for that crazy setting and even crazier story even Avellone would return.
But no, they decided to make a checkpoints game for Sega that didn't sell instead.

It's not all their fault of course. One of reasons to hate Ubi is not letting Obsidian to make a sequel or prequel to The Stick of Truth masterpiece.
Now where is that poll which games industry company is worst of them all? I'll eat my hat if Ubi won't win it on this site!

I loved this game. A tight little CRPG in the vein of Pillars of Eternity with a very different setting. Different themes and writing than you usually see in a video game were tried out. I capped out at 30 hours played and I'm something of a competitionist. I'll play another game probably to see a different ending but all in all, $45 for a 30 hour long experience that I quite enjoyed.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
I loved this game. A tight little CRPG in the vein of Pillars of Eternity with a very different setting. Different themes and writing than you usually see in a video game were tried out. I capped out at 30 hours played and I'm something of a competitionist. I'll play another game probably to see a different ending but all in all, $45 for a 30 hour long experience that I quite enjoyed.

I'm enjoying it so far too. Especially once I got past the first act and it opened up quite a bit more. There's already a lot that making me think about what I'd like to try out if I replay it. But I'll have to see at the end whether I still like it enough for a second run through.

Obviously everyone has their own tastes, but if your considering it, then I wouldn't dismiss it just because of a few people saying bad things about it.

Worse than Pillars of Eternity. They stole the story of Blackguards 2 just shuffled letters in same names, Kyros, 1st Kyrios, Iron Legion, etc.. Lame story concept art, very lame character generation, super boring pre-story, worse UI than Pillars… Uninstalled at first dialogue begin it was so bad. Refund!
This is an overreaction if I ever saw one lol. Even I that uninstalled Fallout 3 after 1 hour gave F3 a longer run and saw more before deciding to uninstall.

Is Tyranny an AAA product?

No , its designed as a fast , cheap project, modifying existing assets slightly to achieve a similar look… medium size investment, small team, medium sized revenue... just to capitalize off the lingering nostalgia

Back
Top Bottom