Good, dark and hard aRPG?

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭&#12004
What's a good (modern, if possible) and quite hard action RPG with decent graphics?

Dark Souls is great, really great atmosphere, but I'm thinking more like first Diablo (isometric)?

It doesn't have to be an action rpg, but it shouldnt be turn based. roguelikes are also ok.

Thank's i'll watch some "let's play"!

How is Path of Exile and what's the catch since its free? You can buy stuff in-game i guess?

Grim Dawn looks kind of cool, but it seems so extremely arcadey, not sure i'd like that one for atmosphere, which is important.. but i'll take a look!

Edit: i was surprised by Hands of Fate 2, seems like something i could enjoy since i haven't really played something quite like that before.
Grim Dawn.. It didn't actually look like the Japanse Aracade Shot'em Up i remembered it as.. lovely art style. hmm, hard choice..

Last edited:
Did you play Severance? Not modern, but holds quite well I think.
I suppose you can also try Exanima, but it's more a demo. Or Bound by Flame, from Spiders. Beyond Reach, Skyrim mod, also fits.

If i start playing Severance i will only look for ways to graphically mod it haha, i know how it ends when i play old games, especially so if they are good :D

Examina is cool, i backed that one.

Bound by Flame, wasn't that one of those 3/10 games released a few years back.. is it really worth playing?

This is all I can think of on the PC, but there are more on consoles.

The Surge
Lords Of The Fallen
Vampyr
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms
BloodLust Vampire RPG
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
Of Orcs And Men
The Dark Eye: Demonicon
Bound by Flame, wasn't that one of those 3/10 games released a few years back.. is it really worth playing?
Its an average game but it can get dark as there are two endings.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/243930/Bound_By_Flame/

Plenty of mixed reviews just remember every game can't be a ten.:lol:

How is Path of Exile and what's the catch since its free? You can buy stuff in-game i guess?
I like Path of Exile especially for its very varied character building system: You have a vast tree of passive skills that enhance your character. Active skills are aquired via gems that are slotted into gear (there are tons of those). Lots of combinations to try and play around with.

And yes, it has microtransactions. Nearly all of those are cosmetics that you do not need. Unfortunately, it's only "nearly". As a casual player, you wont need anything. But if you invest more time and come closer to end game content, you will need additional stash tabs (more space to store loot in). Those stash tabs cost money. If you start playing this more seriously I'd estimate at least 25$ for stash tabs (if you are patient and wait for some special offers that reduce the price).
On the bright side, once you start needing those tabs you probably already know whether you like the game or not.

Grim Dawn.. It didn't actually look like the Japanse Aracade Shot'em Up i remembered it as.. lovely art style. hmm, hard choice..

I can also recommend that.

PS: Personally, I prefer Grim Dawn: I like the atmosphere a little better (but that's taste). It is more honest about its price. You can play it offline. (You always have to play PoE on the online server, even if you do it strictly solo.)

You can also give Demonicon a shot. Pretty dark setting, not sure if combat will sit with you though. Very Witcher (I) like.

Good, dark and hard aRPG?

ANYTHING tht's on the RPG market right now.

Now, let's take a look at the opposite :

"Bad, light and easy aRPG" ? :lol:
Now THAT'S something you'd have to ask for because you just won't find it ... :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think i'll go with Grim Dawn, it looks the closest of what i currently want to play.

Demonicon might be interesting. i found this comment; "in vein to dragon's dogma and risen", sounds good.. i'll get it when its 50% off then it's like 5 euro ;)

ANYTHING tht's on the RPG market right now.

Now, let's take a look at the opposite :

"Bad, light and easy aRPG" ? :lol:
Now THAT'S something you'd have to ask for because you just won't find it … :lol:

haha. i'm not sure i would consider all of them "dark", but yes its probably more common.

Even though you went with Grim Dawn, which was a great choice, I just wanted to chime in that Path of Exile currently has the best free to play model in the business. There is no real "catch," unless you really need your sword to glow a certain color, its statistics remain the same.

The amount of stash tabs you start off with are incredibly generous as well. One of my pet peeves is tiny inventories in free to play games.

Did you play Titan Quest? Did you like it? Grim Dawn is more of the same.

Did you play Diablo 2? Did you like it? PoE is D2 on steroids.

Are all the Grim Dawns dlc worth-while if not which should be avoided ?

Crucible: no (unless you really like to have an arena mode).
Ashes of Malmouth: yes (more content / story = good).

Then there's some vanity item dlc, which is probably irrelevant.

Really liked titan quest but grim dawn is a bit different - it is much more quest oriented (I think; almost too much).

Did you play Titan Quest? Did you like it? Grim Dawn is more of the same.

Did you play Diablo 2? Did you like it? PoE is D2 on steroids.

What's a good (modern, if possible) and quite hard action RPG with decent graphics?

Dark Souls is great, really great atmosphere, but I'm thinking more like first Diablo (isometric)?

It doesn't have to be an action rpg, but it shouldnt be turn based. roguelikes are also ok.

If you liked Dark Souls, you will also like Lords Of The Fallen as well. Its not good as Dark Souls but I found that it too has great atmosphere. You get this feeling of unease or something unsettling about the whole place in your bones in the same was as Dark Souls but with reduced intensity.

If you liked Dark Souls, you will also like Lords Of The Fallen as well. Its not good as Dark Souls but I found that it too has great atmosphere. You get this feeling of unease or something unsettling about the whole place in your bones in the same was as Dark Souls but with reduced intensity.

Yes, i looked at some videos, it seems quite good. Really liked what i saw.

Back
Top Bottom