|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pathfinder: Kingmaker » Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Default Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

April 1st, 2019, 09:22
My main character was wizard for this playthrough. On high levels he became very powerful, but I missed possibility to copy spells from scrolls to spellbook. Choosing limited number of spells from list when leveling-up led to lower versatility then I was used from D&D games. I think sorcerers worked like this in D&D. This way, it makes probably more sense to create wizard specialist as universal mage will anyway be limited in number of spells he can learn.

I was also little confused how cleric and wizard spells overleap in some cases. Ie, some spells are shared by wizards and clerics. Didnt make research on this and didnt really studied manual. Where are the times games had real manuals with ruleset in the box. Miss that. And I do know pdf manual exists and its not the same :-(.

Being in the middle of rant "good old times", I will take opportunity to again express my dislike for completely irelevant retail PC game versions. It was case of Pathfinder, where DVD was included, but only few MB of data installed from it and bulk was downloaded. And no manual (only pdf). Now I bought Sekiro in retail store. And there was even no DVD medium, just download code. Guess PC games are out of retail business for good :-(.
Andrew23 is offline

Andrew23

Andrew23's Avatar
Watchdog

#861

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

April 6th, 2019, 02:25
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
And I do know pdf manual exists and its not the same :-(.
You're right, they're not. PDF manuals are way easier to search through and the publisher can update them as the game changes.

The only problem with them is that I can't just leave them in the bathroom to review from time to time.

--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#862

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,114
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

April 6th, 2019, 04:47
I still prefer the hard copy version I never really liked reading e-version of books or manuals.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#863

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2019, 17:22
Tips&tricks… 44 pages… Someone is writing memoirs?

Noone will read through this. Instead, I'll point people here, because it's short:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil…?id=1530325898

Yes I know everyone who played any RPG in the past knows that:
Things you should have:
High persuasion skill on your main character.

A character (can be a party member) that has an absurdly high perception skill. Picking up a feat or 2 that improve perception is definitely worth it.
But… Those who'll play a partybased RPG for the first time…
There are more nice stuff to read there instead of plodding through 44 pages.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#864

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 02:58
I went through the Troll sequence, but Jubilost never spawned at the ford crossing. I also revisited Bartholomew's house and battled through the trolls, but never even saw him; not even a body. The summoned spiders were there though. Pretty lame. I don't suppose there's a hack code?
rjshae is offline

rjshae

rjshae's Avatar
Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

#865

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,535
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 12:59
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I went through the Troll sequence, but Jubilost never spawned at the ford crossing. I also revisited Bartholomew's house and battled through the trolls, but never even saw him; not even a body. The summoned spiders were there though. Pretty lame. I don't suppose there's a hack code?
Jubilost doens't spawn at Ford Crossing straight away - I think he will be there once Troll invasion starts. Bartholomew initially starts off near his house instead of his lab - after that, he should be in his laboratory when you tell him that trolls are immune to fire.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#866

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 14:01
He said he revisited Bartholomew. For what reason I don't understand.
All I know is that unless dead, will appear in the next main story quest (jail vivisection).

Another thing I have no idea how and why happens is that he can end up dead - and he can according to Steam forum. It could be related to your kingdom alignment where the game is made easy for lawful kingdoms and lawful MCs (once started, kingdom alignment unlike MC's alignment cannot change later) but I bet it's related another design crime: timers. Aka after you speak to him for the first time you should probably rush to kill the troll king instead of exploring the world.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#867

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 15:20
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
He said he revisited Bartholomew. For what reason I don't understand.
All I know is that unless dead, will appear in the next main story quest (jail vivisection).

Another thing I have no idea how and why happens is that he can end up dead - and he can according to Steam forum. It could be related to your kingdom alignment where the game is made easy for lawful kingdoms and lawful MCs (once started, kingdom alignment unlike MC's alignment cannot change later) but I bet it's related another design crime: timers. Aka after you speak to him for the first time you should probably rush to kill the troll king instead of exploring the world.
Something like that (but unlike you, I actually like timer c&c here). If you don't deal with troll invasion quick enough, Bartholomew will get attacked by trolls - he may already be dead if you stop by too late or he may be getting attacked when you walk into his lab. You need to kill trolls attacking him quick or they will beat him up to death. If you deal with troll invasion quickly, he never get attacked by trolls. I likey.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#868

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 15:54
It's an antiexploration horror never properly addressed via mods probably because there is no visible timer on most of quests thus modders can't know what to change and where.
Upon receiving any companion quest or any main story quest, it needs to be rushed asap or we face not one of potential evils but a genuine disappointment - somehow we got lucky and sidequests (errands?) aren't timed.
This wasn't enough so there is that save Jhol or whatever the name is in "womb" choice (unleess MC is lawful). Again though, as a player is hopefully aware of hidden timers existence, it's possible to save both if one knows where to rush first.

What's even worse kingdom management because it's not only timers there, no, timers were not enough to make players' life miserable, there are also unexpected BP costs in events that can bring your kingdom's BP total to negative if you don't save some for rainy days.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#869

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 22:12
I disagree - there is plenty of time to explore without having to rush all the time.

It's Jhod I saved both him and Kesten in my first playthrough without a guide I was like "you fool! Listen to your ruler!" And went after him to try persuade him before he gets himself killed worked out much better than I intended.

Regarding the kingdom, who said being a ruler is an easy task? Haven't you been taught to save for rainy day in r/l? You don't get kingdom penalty as long as you top up BP before the day ends. Not sure if Owlcat implemented a feature to buy BP from the world map yet - been too busy to play this gem lately.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#870

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 22:38
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Jubilost doens't spawn at Ford Crossing straight away - I think he will be there once Troll invasion starts. Bartholomew initially starts off near his house instead of his lab - after that, he should be in his laboratory when you tell him that trolls are immune to fire.
I've already defeated Hargulka.
rjshae is offline

rjshae

rjshae's Avatar
Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

#871

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,535
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 22:41
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I've already defeated Hargulka.
Ah, you won't get Jubilost then - you must encounter him during the troll invasion

As for Bartholomew, if you see pool of blood in his lab after the troll invasion, its likely he was killed by trolls.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#872

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 22:43
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Ah, you won't get Jubilost then - you must encounter him during the troll invasion
Yeah, stupid design detail. I must have followed a different path than the designers intended -- spent too much time exploring and looking around for the trolls. Now I have an unfillable Treasurer position.
rjshae is offline

rjshae

rjshae's Avatar
Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

#873

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,535
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 22:47
There are always 3 people available for each position. For treasurer, its Jubilost, Batholomew and Maegar Varn. You will get Maegar later in the game. Or if you have Wildcards installed, the tiefling can fulfill treasurer role. But yeah, they really need to provide more kingdom advisors.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#874

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 12th, 2019, 22:51
I do have wildcards, but got distracted from her side quest by the Trolls and never went back. Guess I can try that. Thanks.
rjshae is offline

rjshae

rjshae's Avatar
Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

#875

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,535
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

April 13th, 2019, 15:38
Wildcards is irrelevant - doesn't address anything that was "wrong" in vanilla.
In other words, your kingdom can blossom yet it'll drop to worried and worse cause you delayed (or failed) some quest. At the same time, even if everything is maxed in the kingdom including artisans, it's state does not provide you any bonus or penalty in any quest. Poison immunity in kingdom borders so that's it? Gimme a break, that's not a quest but item/spell replacement.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#876

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)

Default 

April 14th, 2019, 01:51
I wouldn't say its "irrelevant" - the DLC adds one extra (much needed) advisor. Kingdom stats and mood are different things - just because the nation is flourishing, doesn't mean citizens can't worry when monsters roam about their land. I do agree and have mentioned in the review that kingdom management is rather mediocre for several reasons, including the fact it doesn't really impact the world in meaninful way - yet, it is the most comprehensive kingdom system implemented in cRPGs and did make me feel that I actually am ruler of this land rather than a simple adventurer.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#877

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

April 16th, 2019, 10:19
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
You're right, they're not. PDF manuals are way easier to search through and the publisher can update them as the game changes.

The only problem with them is that I can't just leave them in the bathroom to review from time to time.

Exactly. The only way I use electronic manuals is when searching for concrete topics. Never have I red through whole electronic manual, beginning till end. That potentially affects how I approach and perceive the game, to some extent.
Andrew23 is offline

Andrew23

Andrew23's Avatar
Watchdog

#878

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

April 17th, 2019, 19:52
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
Never have I red through whole electronic manual, beginning till end.
Never have I read through a whole paper manual, beginning to end. It's a manual, not a novel! While I agree it does change how we play games with no manual (which is most of them) - if it's changing how you play games with PDF manuals then I think that's all on you. Bring the manual up, read it however you read it, and leave it up as you play!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#879

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,114
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

April 17th, 2019, 20:23
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I wouldn't say its "irrelevant" - the DLC adds one extra (much needed) advisor. Kingdom stats and mood are different things - just because the nation is flourishing, doesn't mean citizens can't worry when monsters roam about their land. I do agree and have mentioned in the review that kingdom management is rather mediocre for several reasons, including the fact it doesn't really impact the world in meaninful way - yet, it is the most comprehensive kingdom system implemented in cRPGs and did make me feel that I actually am ruler of this land rather than a simple adventurer.
If needed I can talk about everything wrong with kingdom system in this game and of course with suggestions how could it have been so much better than with existing timers nightmare.

In a separate thread. Here it's tips and tricks and the only tip I can give is - use mods to "fix" Kingdom timers or disable Kingdom management part in any way possible.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#880

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pathfinder: Kingmaker » Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:50.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch