Yet another drunken Nerd-Rant: Why I don't like Video Games anymore.

Fenris

Böser Onkel
Oh well, Stellaris is once again in Update Limbo (takes ages for the essential mods to update) and I'm at the point where I think there is no reason to play Neverwinter Nights 2 anymore, so I tried all the "RPG-Renaissance Games" of the last years again and I come to this conclussion: They are all boring.

The Developers think the holy Grail of Gaming are Story-Based Games, the Publishers think the Games must be marketed everywhere.
So (for me, in Germany) there is no - ehem - Eye Candy (because the USA, the SJWs, the Chinese and the Muslims don't like it), no Blood (because Germany fears it's Citizens will invade Poland again if they see some Gore) and no grey areas (because China thinks this would lead to Chaos) and even no Bones (China doesn't like them). So we get bland Optics and Stories.
And I hate bland Optics and Stories.

We don't even get great Graphics anymore, because the real big money is made on consoles and mobiles.

Bethesda, Bioware, Obsidian, Larian, none of them created something really good for a good decade.
Also the Games have to be easy, because every Idiot should get his "Sense of Achievment".
The higher difficulty modes are no Fun either, because they usually only increase Hitpoints, Resistances and Damage of the Enemies.

This Constraints make it hard to create good games. But the Developers think they can do it anyway. IMO they are incapable to achieve this.

Well, Lord of the Rings ticks all the boxes, yes ? But it was a Novelity. Think you can achieve the Shit for that a Oxford-Professor wasted his livelong Sparetime, Mister Story-Writer ? Good Luck.

But there are Niche-Games, like UnderRail and Age of Decadence, right ? Oh, well, they do one component of a great Game right, but that doesn't make a great Game at all. Are the Games still Fun ? Well, for a few hours... is it worth full price ? Hell no.

Once again I'm senselessly ranting, but let me make one Statement:

I'm angry old white man; I have carved out my unhappy little Place in this World, and I have more Money then Happiness - I happily would pay the Price of a Compact Car for a perfect RPG - if I could be sure that I would get my Game, that is. I would pay a few hundred € for a slightly graphically enhanced TOEE with the modding Capabillities and Community of NWN 1, even more for a better Setting and better Graphics. But I'm not desperate enough to support potential Frauds - I rather invest my Money into more Alcohol before wasting it - I'm not that rich :eek:).

Hehe, sweet Oblivion at last... at least for a few hours, until I awake tomorrow with a headache.

First reaction - Are you ok? Maybe you should go get some sleep and rest?

Second reaction - Have you tried Pathfinder: Kingmaker?

Now that you've woken with a headache (and possibly played some Elder Scrolls 4), would you like to answer your own rant?

Second reaction - Have you tried Pathfinder: Kingmaker?
If he wants "eye candy" then I think he's better off with The Witcher series. Because:

Hey, you reminded me of this

and now I'm terrified that it's 4 years old because I feel like it was just the other month :S

My Pet Peeves:

The erosion of satisfyingly crunchy systems into childs play is my main bugbear. I like games that expect you to think. Modern games expect you to not think although that is perhaps beginning to change if you know where to look (Rimworld, Pathfinder: Kingmaker)

The other main bugbear is the writing of modern games is not true to life and written from a very sheltered point of view. I can't get into characters written and designed from perspectives so inverted from reality.

And Fenris is right when he says there are few complete games these days. They might get a couple of things right but typically let themselves down in other areas. I think thats because games these days try to tick too many boxes rather than make a neat focused experience.

The erosion of satisfyingly crunchy systems into childs play is my main bugbear. I like games that expect you to think. Modern games expect you to not think although that is perhaps beginning to change if you know where to look (Rimworld, Pathfinder: Kingmaker)

On this topic, I'm going to quote something from reddit:

Gee. It took all of 13 hours to figure that out, huh.

You say "this" is happening to a lot of games since the last 7~8 years… but the irony being that for me, having played games since the '80s on Apple II and Commodore 64 rigs, I feel the exact opposite in that the average attention span, patience, reading and understanding ability and intelligence level of gamers have dropped down to troglodyte levels in those 7~8 years.

Basically, anything more complicated than "Press 'F' to pay respects" seems to baffle gamers so hard these days. Instant gratification, instant results, instant access to story elements seems to be the only thing their brains seem to registers these days. I mean, a game that actually needs its player to sit down and study a bit to get how it works out… preposterous, huh.

So excuse the rest of us if we don't feel any sympathy toward you. Obviously, you'd be better off playing action RPGs. No intent of disrespect in saying that, since action RPGs are great fun genre of a game, and some truly great games exist in that genre.

It's just that when you see a person getting confused about a story which one may easily deduce by actually reading the stuff the game provides, and then throwing a bi*ch-fit about how the game's all garbage and sucks because he doesn't get it, and even worse, doing that smack in the middle of a community of players who appreciate the cRPG genre and the D&D, Pathfinder brand … the only thing we may give you is a hefty bit of scorn.

The game's "fundamentally flawed?" I think not. Rather, it's the other way around. You're fundamentally incompetent to play a game of this specific cRPG genre.

You don't like it because you suck at it. So, "Git gud." It helps.

Sound like an elitist? Maybe. But I'm getting a little fed up with too simple games... NEED VARIETY. I do enjoy simple hack'n'slash like D3 after work but I also need something I can immerse myself into.

I've been holding off on Pathfinder because I REALLY don't want it to suck. In fact, I can't even risk playing it.

But would you say it's ready? Few more patches, or...? @purpleblob;

I've been holding off on Pathfinder because I REALLY don't want it to suck. In fact, I can't even risk playing it.

But would you say it's ready? Few more patches, or…? @purpleblob;

I really *love* Kingmaker. I think this is *the* spiritual successor to BG2. I played it over 300 hours.

But.

It's not without flaws. As many people mentioned already, the game is buggy. I somehow dodged most of the bugs, but my husband is having a lot more issues than I (he still thinks it's bloody great game, but the bugs are there).

Since you waited for this long, I'd say hold off until the next big patch comes out around the Christmas (patch 1.2).

Never get too cynical. Losing hope and losing faith in society makes us much easier to manipulate. ;)

@Ripper;

It's funny to read you saying that as I'm watching live streams of the protests in France. Maybe a better discussion for the politics forum, though.

I disagree - we are living in a golden age of RPGs - we have over 100 RPG releases this year - some of them are very good:

Jagged Alliance: Rage!
Kenshi
Aeon of Sands: The Trail
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
Epic Battle Fantasy 5
Crimson Keep
Sanctus Mortem
Underworld Ascendant
Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus
Fallout 76
Call of Cthulhu
Infinite Adventures
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
The Greater Good
Disgaea 5 Complete
Veil of Crows
Siralim 3
Space Hulk: Tactics
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics
Vigilantes
Depth of Extinction
INSOMNIA: The Ark
Deep Sky Derelicts
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Hevn
CrossCode
Star Control: Origins
Das Geisterschiff
The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep
Bards Tale Remasters
The Warriorlock
The 7th Circle
Immortal Unchained
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Divinity: Original Sin II Definitive Edition
Shadows: Awakening
Shenmue 1 & 2
Dustwind
Graveyard Keeper
Pendula Swing
Phantom Doctrine
Sword Legacy: Omen
We Happy Few
City of the Shroud
Monster Hunter: World
Unavowed
Dead Cells
Yakuza 0
Star Traders: Frontiers
This Is the Police 2
Banner Saga 3
Devious
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Mary Skelter Nightmares
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption
The Great Gaias
Vampyr
Warhammer 40.000: Inquisitor - Martyr
Azuran Tales: Trials
Moonlighter
State of Decay 2
Towards The Pantheon
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Demon's Rise: Lords of Chaos
BattleTech
The Swords of Ditto
For the King
Healer's Quest
Knight Bewitched
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
Dead In Vinland
Tower of Time
Extinction
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition
Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
Ash of Gods
Azure Saga: Pathfinder
Beast Quest
Ghost of a Tale
The Council
Dark Quest 2
Final Fantasy XV
Distortions
Heroes of Hammerwatch
Pit People
Where the Water Tastes Like Wine
Chrono Trigger
Into The Breach
All Walls Must Fall
Exiled Kingdoms
Xploquest 2
Secret of Mana
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Delver
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Tangledeep
Avernum 3: Ruined World
Dust and Salt
LEGRAND LEGACY: Tale of the Fatebounds
Lost Sphear
Once upon a Dungeon
Gilded
Nantucket

I marked the best ones (of the games I played).

Last edited:
@Ripper;

It's funny to read you saying that as I'm watching live streams of the protests in France. Maybe a better discussion for the politics forum, though.

Not sure why. There's a time for taking to the streets, though the French do tend to really go for it. :biggrin:

I'm saying don't end up in the trap - angry, bitter, isolated, and in front of a screen, consuming.

Install Candy Crush Saga on phones and there's your no story cure. Helped millions, earned billions.

At the moment i have the same problem. I try all various kinds of new rpgs, try to replay old ones, but nothing holds my interest for more than a few days. I had those "oversaturated" phases in my life more than once. So i guess i should just let the hobby rest for some weeks and hopefully the spark will ignite once more.. waiting for THE game.

I disagree - we are ling in a golden age of RPGs - we have over 100 RPG releases this year - some of them are very good

Hmm but I also think the definition of "RPG" is also getting wider.

I also know my specific taste restricts number of RPGs I enjoy/play. So envious of someone like you who have wider range of interest.

Hmm but I also think the definition of "RPG" is also getting wider.

I also know my specific taste restricts number of RPGs I enjoy/play. So envious of someone like you who have wider range of interest.

The RPG has branched away from CRPG like experiences which is why the Pathfinder: Kingmaker experience has become quite rare. Yes we have more "RPGs" now but games in the CRPG genre used to come out quite frequently back in the day because that was the RPG genre and the cost/time to develop them was also quite a lot smaller. We had our duds back in the day but via shear volume that didn't matter as much as it does today. Today we have a dud or two and some ask if the CRPG genre has a future.

As for the wider interests thing. I think for those born during the early days of pc gaming its more a thing. The concept of genres was not super important and genre mixing in games was quite common.

Constant innovation and boundary pushing was a feature if you consider that the 80s went from monochrome to vga graphics and from beeps and boops to soundblaster. We just can't get the same leaps today as we had then.

… and you can't recreate the feeling that you had when you played certain subgenres for the first time. In a way we are all jaded by playing too many RPGs over the years.

Last edited:
I have more Money then Happiness

Another proof that money don't bring you happiness!
Unfortunately this is another, besides countless others, thread about Pathfider Kingmaker - oh, well, nothing to see here, moving on.

On this topic, I'm going to quote something from reddit:

Sound like an elitist? Maybe. But I'm getting a little fed up with too simple games… NEED VARIETY. I do enjoy simple hack'n'slash like D3 after work but I also need something I can immerse myself into.

There is nothing deep or profound about even the most "hardcore" rpgs. Put points into charisma to better persuade people, strength to deal more melee damage, etc. Seriously? That's deep/"hurr durr hardcore"?

And it's plain nonsense that AAA means instant gratification. Look at RDR 2…shitload of sold copies, 10/10 rave by critics…and it's practically the slowest game in years.

RPGs are not like E.V.E online that require months and months of learning systems and mechanics, it's core player base practically treats it as second job. Even superpopular MOBA's take a ton of practice to get some decent rank.

Go and win one of popular tournaments against "casuals" and find out how "deep" or challenging rpg tactics/mechanics really are.

Back
Top Bottom