Kingmaker - Season Pass & Post-Release Content

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Pathfinder: Kingmaker addreses the season pass and post-release content concerns.

Season Pass & Post-Release Content

Dear Pathfinders!

As many of you have noticed, the Imperial Edition in our new pre-orders on Steam and GoG contains a season pass. We have received many questions and comments about this from you, so let us address the most urgent ones, starting with the nature of the DLC contained in the season pass.

After the end of our crowdfunding campaign, many of you have sent us requests for additional races, classes and other content and features to be added as DLC after release. So we are going to work on some additional content post-release to make the game even bigger and better and to add even more to the experience! This is going to be funded, you guessed it, with the help of the season pass. No content is cut from the base game for this! Pathfinder: Kingmaker will release with all the content, all the races, classes, story chapters, absolutely everything we promised during our Kickstarter campaign. You get the full game, as promised.

Over the coming months after release, we are going to release several DLC packs. The first three of these DLC packs will be in the first season pass. You will also be able to buy each DLC on its own when it releases. We will release more information about the contents and estimated release dates of each DLC at a later date. Don't worry, all will be revealed before the release of Pathfinder: Kingmaker!

As for the pricing, our Imperial Edition has everything contained in the Royal Edition, as well as the season pass. Because of that, it costs $15 more than the Royal Edition. The season pass is going to contain about $40 worth of DLC. Those of you not interested in the Imperial Edition will be able to purchase a standalone season pass when we get a little closer to release. As mentioned before, each DLC will also be available for purchase on its own.

One more thing: we are giving the first season pass to every backer, who pledged $95 or more for our beta tiers on Kickstarter or $110 on our crowdfunding-preorders for free as a thank you for helping us beta-test our early builds! So if you're one of our beta supporters, there's no need for you to buy the season pass - you'll be getting it from us, free of charge!

Hail to the Kings!

Owlcats
More information.

Yuck - an announcement that there will be a future announcement discussing the content of the dlc. Oh and a bit of pr that nothing from the dlc was actually intended in the main game.... hum.... maybe I am being cynical ?

Well regardless of my view on this since sounds like I will get a free season pass based on what I backed the game for so can't say I have any real complaints personally.

I don't see what is so "yuck" about the announcement. Owlcat is simply answering question they've receiving. Can't complain I'm getting free season pass, although I'm not interested in DLCs at this point. I liked base game experience through beta, but still want to experience the whole thing before making decision whether I'd want to replay the game with DLCs.

Nice to see some clarification on it all.
Not sure what version I'll end up buying but buying the game has been a pretty done deal since the kickstarter which I sadly couldn't afford at the time.
Still have not seen any reason to preorder it so far.

Well at least Owlcat's being honest about their future DLC plans. It's also not the first time a crowdfunded game has a season pass. Look at PoE 2 for a example.

Just hope it doesn't get to expensive or an ultimate version get released later.

Last edited:
They didn't say anything except what was expected of them to say... They could have saved it until they actually knew what the plan would be. Also think aboutnit... They have no idea about the future content but they know how to price it in advance.. I wonder if the nature of that content depends on sales....

I don't see what is so "yuck" about the announcement. Owlcat is simply answering question they've receiving. Can't complain I'm getting free season pass, although I'm not interested in DLCs at this point. I liked base game experience through beta, but still want to experience the whole thing before making decision whether I'd want to replay the game with DLCs.

I don't like this season pass for three reasons

1. This is their first game. They have no reputation for delivering on their promises.

2. They only promise to share details on content and release dates in the future. This tells me they haven't begun serious planning their next steps after release.

3. They admit they need to sell the season pass in order to fund the content for the season pass. That's extremely concerning.

3. They admit they need to sell the season pass in order to fund the content for the season pass. That's extremely concerning.

I supposed its better than running a kickstarter announcing they are "industry veterans" and then taking that money and building something completely different from what they announced.

:)

Anyway, DLC is here to say - we all know it and it's just a matter of whether or not the content is worth buying.

If you want the "complete experience" from the beginning, then kick back and play other games. There are literally dozens of great modern CRPGs to pick from.

Personally, I will reserve my "shocked reaction" for when a company announces there will be NO DLC or future content - before launch.

That said, there are ways to do it that are more tasteful than others. I find this to be somewhat reasonable, if a little much.

Paradox is an example of a very tasteless approach to DLC - but that doesn't mean it's wrong or "not worth buying".

Okay, nothing really unexpected to hear. As long as the "Season Pass" is not too expensive, I think I´ll be buying it together with the "Noble Edition" (just to show a bit of extra support). If it *does* cost more than expected, I´ll take it with the basic "Explorer Edition" instead.

Well DLC is something that a LOT of people on their forums asked for (expansions are dead so we have to accept that), and I guess it makes sense. This is first cRPG set in Pathfinder universe that looks like it wont suck.
So of course people will want more content than they can actually deliver based on kickstarter premise.

Also from the mail I've received, I kinda understood it like this is going to be a first season pass, and based on it's success they'll be making more DLC/Adventure paths…

Yuck - an announcement that there will be a future announcement discussing the content of the dlc. Oh and a bit of pr that nothing from the dlc was actually intended in the main game…. hum…. maybe I am being cynical ?
The explanation that nothing from main game was cut to put into this DLC was talked about because for 1 week people have been calling them names and stuff on Steam forums and accusing them of stuff that AAA publishers usually do.
Owlcat just wanted to make it clear they are not shady AAA publishers.

I don't like this season pass for three reasons

1. This is their first game. They have no reputation for delivering on their promises.

2. They only promise to share details on content and release dates in the future. This tells me they haven't begun serious planning their next steps after release.

1. It is not their first game, most of these devs go back 15 years.
2. Which is good and proves that they didn't think about cutting content from main game to sell as DLC
3. That part was worded strangely I must admit. Maybe that is the deal with their publishers that season pass money goes directly to them so they can continue to work on the DLC and money from sales of the full game goes to publisher and then later they get a cut.

If you want the "complete experience" from the beginning, then kick back and play other games. There are literally dozens of great modern CRPGs to pick from.
I totally agree, and that's what I usually do with all my games ("delayed gratification" for the win). ;)

1. It is not their first game, most of these devs go back 15 years.
2. Which is good and proves that they didn't think about cutting content from main game to sell as DLC
3. That part was worded strangely I must admit. Maybe that is the deal with their publishers that season pass money goes directly to them so they can continue to work on the DLC and money from sales of the full game goes to publisher and then later they get a cut.

1. It's the first game made by the studio, and they are obviously total amateurs when it comes to marketing and selling their products.

2. They should still have plans and deadlines for the season pass they are selling people. It doesn't mean they need to start working on it already (we'd all agree that's a bad thing), but they need to have some basic idea of what they're doing after release.

3. I guarantee you they don't have that deal with the publisher, otherwise they would be total idiots. The game's development was entirely self funded. Regardless, it's a BS answer and anybody that buys it after hearing that is a fool.

I supposed its better than running a kickstarter announcing they are "industry veterans" and then taking that money and building something completely different from what they announced.

:)

That's a lot of salt and deflection

Back
Top Bottom