Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Interview @RPGamer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
RPGamer interviewed Kei Mikami and asked him about Valkyria Chronicles 4.

RPG Site: In the first Valkyria Chronicles, you were able to recruit more characters at the main camp over the course of the game while in Valkyria Chronicles 3, additional characters would join you overtime. How does Valkyria Chronicles 4 approach the recruitment of new characters?

Kei Mikami: So in VC4, more characters join Claude (the main character) at certain points in the story. It’s similar to VC1 in that everyone has different Potentials - some characters are more comfortable being around specific people more than others. Characters will come into the game within each new chapter.

RPG Site: I have an important question. Can you tell us a little about the inclusion of Ragnarok the dog?

Kei Mikami: Ragnarok is actually a rare character that you only get to see at random basically. There’s a random 10% chance that he’ll come running ahead of the medic when a unit is in danger.

Ragnarok does have a certain relationship with the main characters. They see Ragnarok as a good boy - kind of like a funny little dog character, but Ragnarok actually sees himself as a level above humans.

RPG Site: One thing I liked in Valkyria Chronicles 3 is that I was able to change the class of any character. For example, it allowed me to make a Shocktrooper into a Scout, unlock an ability to travel farther under that Scout specialization, and then change back into a Shocktrooper retaining that ability to travel farther. Is there anything like that in Valkyria Chronicles 4?

Kei Mikami: That level of customization is actually not available in VC4 because of the sheer number of characters that join you - there’s about 50 of them. That depth of customization you speak of was possible because there was a more limited number of characters available to you, so the goal there was to have a system flexible enough to make up for the limited quantity.

[...]
More information.

With VC4, there’s only one main relationship because we felt that having two separate stories would divide fans into debating which one is the true route or story.
!?!?
To your point on how it expanded through word-of-mouth to gradually getting popular, it was thanks people trying the game and releasing it on multiple platforms - especially Steam. It did a great job making the game more accessible to a larger audience so even more people got a chance to finally play it.
PC Gaming for the win! Sega has learned well.

PC Gaming for the win! Sega has learned well.
Quite surprised to see Sega focusing on releasing more JRPGs, and other console games on Steam. They also publish PC games for Creative Assembly, and Relic Entertainment.

So allow me to say I can't wait to play more Yakuza and other console exclusives.

Played Cold Steel games?
Yeah… Developer gave you a freedom to choose, but the sad truth is you'll end with the most uninteresting girl in the game - Alisa. I mean, sure, she kicks arse, definetly. But as romance option… Bleh.
Quite surprised to see Sega focusing on releasing more JRPGs, and other console games on Steam. They also publish PC games for Creative Assembly, and Relic Entertainment.

So allow me to say I can't wait to play more Yakuza and other console exclusives.
I bet there was a moment a delegacy from Sega met Sony CEO and told him what's enough is enough with exclusivity rubbish. The only one who doesn't lose money there is Sony. Everyone else suffers. Especially the audience.

I don't give a bloody damn about the romances, just keep the good combat systems and optimal save choices coming, you'll have me as an uber-repeat customer.

Sorry but... This game ain't dark souls.

Played Cold Steel games?
Nope. I wasn't too clear, though. What's very very strange to me is that they aren't including choices because it divides fans as to what the "true" story is. That sounds outright crazy to me. When I played Witcher 1, I went with Shani instead of Triss. That doesn't mean I picked the wrong one!

No choice in the witcher games can ever be wrong - in your case you can continue with Shani in TW3 expansions. ;)

But c&c in the witcher games is epic. VC4 is not brave enough to go such scope, consequences from your choices will be either more recruits to get or some recruits won't die. The overall story will remain linear, doesn't mean it'll suck if they make that only one possible romance fun enough.

The game however is coming on PC. If it proves to be good, modders will "fix" lack of choices.

Back
Top Bottom