|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Looking for inspiration

Default Looking for inspiration

August 9th, 2018, 19:27
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
I will try to put things on a more strict schedule, once I have more time available. I'm going to start by "forcing" myself to work x amount of hours every day - and a schedule will follow, once things are a little clearer, I suspect.

That said, I had a conversation with my boss yesterday - which is a new boss that I got ~3 months ago.

I never bullshit or put on a facade, so I was pretty open about wanting to do this project in some way - and he was surprisingly accomodating. Apparently, he likes me and my performance - and it seems he's willing to make a few compromises in terms of giving me a day or two a week where I work from home, and things like that.

I also explained to him that I would need a raise if he wanted (even) better performance, because I don't agree with the general perception around here that such things always go just one way.

He was open to that as well

So…. it's tough. But I really don't see myself making a full game if I have to concentrate on a job.
Dipping your toes in this way might be better. This way you still have something to fall back on should you decide it's not your thing.

Let me know if you need play testing! Or even just bug testing.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 19:31
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Dipping your toes in this way might be better. This way you still have something to fall back on should you decide it's not your thing.

Let me know if you need play testing! Or even just bug testing.
Thank you kindly!

I just might need that, but it's a long way off…..

Darth Tagnan

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 19:46
It's strange how a better salary can change your views

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

August 9th, 2018, 19:48
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
It's strange how a better salary can change your views
Haha, well - I don't really care about the money. To me, it's more that they're willing to recognise that I'm contributing - which is a nice feeling.

For the past few years - in this municipality - there's been this line about how we all need to do more and more without any kind of compensation.

Which might make sense if we were living somewhere where money was scarce, but that's most definitely not the case in Denmark.

I don't work well when all the effort is one way - and I don't care who's to blame, I just temper my contribution accordingly.

But I'll wait until it actually happens

That said, money won't make me happy. But if he's serious about giving me a little time - that might be a great way to try and make it happen.

It's just that I don't know if I can muster the discipline if I know I don't really need to accomplish anything

Darth Tagnan

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

August 10th, 2018, 11:42
Phew… Got done coming up with 120 feats.

Now, I need to add more detail and figure out the particulars…. Many of them will doubtlessly change completely.

Darth Tagnan

Keeper of the Watch

August 10th, 2018, 19:22
I think you should start a development thread in the indie section and we can follow along. Then we will have 2 long-time watchers' games we can keep track of.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 10th, 2018, 19:36
How about seeing if there's some development work you could do at the office? Getting some ongoing experience wrangling code would probably be a big help when you sit down to implement your systems.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

August 10th, 2018, 21:48
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I think you should start a development thread in the indie section and we can follow along. Then we will have 2 long-time watchers' games we can keep track of.
Well, maybe if I feel I have something sufficiently interesting to show at some point

Darth Tagnan

Keeper of the Watch

August 10th, 2018, 21:53
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
How about seeing if there's some development work you could do at the office? Getting some ongoing experience wrangling code would probably be a big help when you sit down to implement your systems.
My boss actually made that offer, but my (very small) department has sort of been cut to the bone. I don't think I will have the time to do much coding at the office - and it would mean getting back to even more work afterwards, as the case-load will have piled up. Also, being at the office means constant interruptions - which is the last thing I want to deal with, if I'm trying to focus on something like coding a game.

But if he's going to give me a day or two to work from home, I'll have an opportunity in that way - because I won't get interrupted, and I will save almost 3 hours on transportation, too.

That said, he offered me to find a course to take, if I wanted it. But I said they should be spending their money in better ways - on people who would get more use out of a course. No big deal, but it's not entirely fair of me to exploit such an opportunity for strictly personal gain - and it wouldn't matter much.

I don't really need a course to learn to code - as I've coded quite a bit here and there. I just need to focus on it, and it usually goes ok. Still a lot of work - but I'm reasonably well versed in the basics and the concepts - and it never takes me that long to reach a stage of decent progress.

Though, that's more to do with my Google skills than my coding skills

Darth Tagnan

Keeper of the Watch

August 10th, 2018, 22:23
Who is your employer? Seems a pretty great one. I want in!

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 08:42
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Who is your employer? Seems a pretty great one. I want in!
Hehe, I'm working for the Copenhagen municipality - which is the biggest municipality here in Denmark. So, my "employer" is more or less the public sector of Copenhagen

But, yeah, it seems I've been lucky with my latest boss. We seem to have reached some kind of mutually beneficial accord. We also seem to be on the same page about a lot of things, and we're of a similar age. We also had a little heart-to-heart about our mutual appreciation for Star Trek TNG - which I'm sure also plays a little part in this

That said, I'm usually ok with my bosses these days. Wasn't always the case, as I used to be rather unreasonable in terms of societal norms.

I've found a rhythm as a more mature adult where I'm much better at compromise than I used to be.

Also, I'm decent at reading people - and, for whatever reason, I find that my no-facade approach gets me a few advantages with minimal effort. Most males are a little strange in that way, as they tend to find me somewhat intimidating or worthy of respect - for no other reason than simply speaking my mind with no filter - and little concern for the consequences.

Never quite understood that - as I'm the last person you need to be intimidated by and I have a lot of flaws like everyone else, but that's the world I live in.

That said, talk is cheap. I have no reason to doubt his words, but my experience is that you shouldn't get too excited before things actually happen.

Darth Tagnan

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Looking for inspiration