Quantcast
What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 174 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default The Snowman

November 1st, 2017, 13:03
Hmm. Not sure about this. It is based on a Jo Nesbo book which I read about 5 years ago. At times I felt that Harry Hole (Michael Fassbender) was being a bit slow coming to the right conclusions though he got there eventually.

What was wrong with the film is that there seemed too much happening so it appeared disjointed. It needs at least a couple more viewings or control of the remote control. As a mini-series this may of worked with extra scenes/ acts.

I did enjoy it (perhaps I like being confused) but it's not a repeat experience.

SleepingDog

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 1st, 2017, 14:51
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Alrik since you're into animated things it seems, I have to recommend Blame!, should be available on Netflix except in some countries.

It's not as impressive as manga visually, but IMO they hit the softspot with CGI and story where technology went rogue.
Sorry, but anime is not my style.
Plus, I refuse to watch netflix as well.

My current "watching movies" habit consists of :

- watching it in a cinema
- watching at home via DVD

I don't even have a BlueRay player.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 1st, 2017, 23:02
Thor: Ragnarök. Fantastic, loved it. 80's vibes everywhere, vivid colors and extremely over-the-top. The perfect blend of sci-fi and superhero-movie. 8.8/10
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

Serial Modderer

November 2nd, 2017, 05:03
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Thor: Ragnarök. Fantastic, loved it. 80's vibes everywhere, vivid colors and extremely over-the-top. The perfect blend of sci-fi and superhero-movie. 8.8/10
How have you seen it already? Did Europe have an earlier release?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2017, 07:46
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
How have you seen it already? Did Europe have an earlier release?
It was released a few days ago here yes (29th was the first viewing).
--
- George Carlin

vurt

Serial Modderer

November 4th, 2017, 15:22
I watched an old Spanish spaghetti western (that doesn't sound quite right, does it?) yesterday called Cut-Throats Nine (1972). It has a lot of weird charm and is notable for being the first (only?) gore western. Peckinpah doesn't count. Might be worth watching as a true curio of the genre and for its interesting story but otherwise will probably turn off a lot of fans of westerns, even strange ones.

JackOfOwls

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 5th, 2017, 03:35
Probably one of the best Marvel movies i've seen.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

November 5th, 2017, 13:18
On Vimeo and Youtube, just today: a documentary about sexual child abuse in Hollywood.
Controversial documentary An Open Secret reveals paedophilia in Hollywood
“What you see in the film is the tip of the iceberg” says producer Gabe Hoffman
According to The Guardian. Two and a half years later it concludes:

When the documentary An Open Secret tried to lift the lid on child abuse in Hollywood, it billed itself as “the film Hollywood doesn’t want you to see”. The marketing tagline did not exaggerate.

The film died upon release in 2015. There was no theatrical release to speak of, no television deal, no video-on-demand distribution.

“We got zero Hollywood offers to distribute the film. Not even one. Literally no offers for any price whatsoever,” said Gabe Hoffman, a Florida-based hedge fund manager who financed the film.
[…]
Hoffman released the film for free on the video-sharing website Vimeo this month after reports about Harvey Weinstein’s alleged sexual assaults set off a chain-reaction, with James Toback, Tyler Grasham and Kevin Spacey among those accused of harassment and worse.
[…]
Hoffman said he had intended to end the free online viewings of An Open Secret on Tuesday, but extended the window until Sunday because of public interest, with more than 3 million viewings on various social media platforms since 12 October.
According to The Guardian, on November the first 2017.

To be seen, just one more day, today, this Sunday, on Vimeo: .

Or on Youtube without any adds, at least that is what I have been told:
loading…
--
It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

Eye

Eye Watch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 6th, 2017, 17:47
Bryan Singer… they're comin' for you next, man! They're comin' for you! *patter of not-so-little footsteps*

JackOfOwls

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 6th, 2017, 19:05
Saw it yesterday. It was a fun movie but I think I am bored of the whole super hero stuff. I just didn't care about any of it. I am not cold hearted person but even if Thor himself died at the end of the movie, I would have left without giving a shite!

We have too many super heroes and none of them are really special anymore. Whats even worse is that they are apparently all in the same world! This makes some super heroes not so super any more but what even worse is that the power level go through the roof and they have to come up with even crazy uber villains with whom you can't really relate etc and you no longer care.

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

November 6th, 2017, 20:47
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
We have too many super heroes and none of them are really special anymore. Whats even worse is that they are apparently all in the same world! This makes some super heroes not so super any more but what even worse is that the power level go through the roof and they have to come up with even crazy uber villains with whom you can't really relate etc and you no longer care.
Which is why movies like Winter Soldier and Civil War are really good, because it's less about who's more powerful, and more about tough decisions.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 7th, 2017, 11:19
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Saw it yesterday. It was a fun movie but I think I am bored of the whole super hero stuff. I just didn't care about any of it. I am not cold hearted person but even if Thor himself died at the end of the movie, I would have left without giving a shite!

I like these movies once in a while, but i could probably not stand watching a super hero TV series, or several super hero movies in a week.. i watch maybe one every 6 months, and that's enough.

The super villains are usually the weakest part of any super hero movie, and it was the same in this one. I enjoyed the interactions between Hulk and Thor, hell, any interaction with Thor is usually good fun. But i do wish it was even more like Planet Hulk to be honest, and that it would have been even more focused on this seemingly interesting planet, it also needed even more Goldblum (and more gladiator battles!). But all in all, i liked it a lot.

Too bad we had to watch it in 2D (the friend i went with can't see in 3D)..
--
- George Carlin

vurt

Serial Modderer

November 14th, 2017, 15:10
Wind River 7.5

Not quite sure why I liked this so much, as it was quite derivative. It did have a very unexpected series of events towards the end of the movie - but other than that, it was highly formulaic.

The atmosphere was very powerful, though - as was Jeremy Renner's performance. Same goes for the guy playing the girl's father.

It's really a mood piece more than anything.

NewDArt

SasqWatch

November 20th, 2017, 18:11
The Killing of a Sacred Deer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFdGfwChtw
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 20th, 2017, 18:27
After reading it's synopsis, refused to watch The Lobster.
That trailer looks like it's sequel I'll skip with joy.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 22:28
The Farthest.

Very nice documentary about the Voyager mission.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread