Battle Brothers - Blazing Deserts Trailer

I thought this was released long time ago?
Though I completely agree with pricing the DLCs. Developers must be able to eat and pay rent and able to buy any new fancy hardware they need for better mood during development.

Getting ready for a new campaign when this baby is released. Other than the edition of gunpowder, which I can live with, this DLC adds a lot of new and interesting features. I haven't played the last five months because I wanted to be excited for all the new features and new campaign.

Bought it but haven't played it yet. Have a feeling all the new foes are going to beat me like a rented mule.

I bought it....can I start the tutorial with all the added stuff from the DLC? It isn't clear...

Yes you can do the tutorial with all the added DLC's. The rebuilding the company campaign.

Yes, but is the dlc stuff added as I play with that campaign?

Any actually story campaigns yet or is it still make your own story as you play? Just asking as that quickly grows boring based on my Mount and Blade play-through over the years.

Any actually story campaigns yet or is it still make your own story as you play? Just asking as that quickly grows boring based on my Mount and Blade play-through over the years.

I just finished the Holy War campaign. There was a bit of story and it was cool attacking and protecting holy sites. I like the Arenas they have added. Some of those fights are deadly.

I'm just the opposite, I love creating my own story. Theme park games tend to bore me pretty fast. Battle Brothers still has a great leveling system and the items are perfect. Start with sticks and work your way up to epic weapons.

I just finished the Holy War campaign. There was a bit of story and it was cool attacking and protecting holy sites. I like the Arenas they have added. Some of those fights are deadly.

I'm just the opposite, I love creating my own story. Theme park games tend to bore me pretty fast. Battle Brothers still has a great leveling system and the items are perfect. Start with sticks and work your way up to epic weapons.

Thanks for the reply I tend to favor theme park games myself. As I said before it gets boring fast otherwise. No offense meant but it's probably my lack of imagination. So on my end.:)

I'll give it a look and see what happens. Doesn't hurt to try at least.

I keep dying a lot:p

It's a bit of a jump to think there's only either BB style games or theme park games and that not liking one assumes liking of the other, if that's what you were even implying.

It's not the lack of story that irks me about BB, that's an attractive aspect, the part that irks me is the constant drain mechanics.

Walking cost money.

It's this one specific feature which infects every other mechanic in the game. It's the part that makes hiring guys unexciting because your party will be based on what you can afford. They cost money to buy and then need a constant wage.

Restoring HP is a money drain. So as well as hiring new guys to replace those who died you also have to constantly buy menial HP stuff that constantly drains from your inventory to keep those that somehow didn't die alive.

And then there's even a money drain on looting, as the 'tools' required to make the loot even remotely interesting also drains away after every battle.

And so starting money is now a difficulty setting.

The rewards you get from quests barely ever pay for these drains and it's not so much an adventure as just some guys working for a living. I don't know about you, but when I get home from working amongst grumpy as fuck assholes who spend the whole day gribbling about money, the last form of escapism I want is a grumpy old men gribbling about money simulator.

People keep going on about it's 'down to earth' atmosphere, but there's not one thing down to earth or un-fantasy about it aside from gribbling old men simulation. The land is pure fantasy, the enemies are pure fantasy, the economics are pure fantasy, but it 'doesn't have elves and magic therefore it's 'grounded' ' LOL, yeah, no.

It would be ok if the combat was even remotely interesting, but sadly its not. It's 'realism' is that people die really easily & you can't resurrect them after combat or heal them during combat, other than that it's just D&D level 1 as if everyone is playing a fighter character, but without the sense of character attachment.

For me, the big appeal of RPGs, and any game that involves combat on an individual party-based level, is that the objective is to try and pass each encounter with zero loses. This aspect is fundamentally at odds with the intention of the game, the intention of the game being to completely dehumanise all your little pixel people. To view them as merely costs, either to buy or to constantly pay.

So it's not a party-based adventure, it's a gribbling old men stuck in the 10th circle of hell management sim.

You don't enter dungeons and discover new and interesting things, you don't get a sense of travel at all, you just get a sense of 'blokes going to work 9-5'. And their work is a non-stop repetition of very similar maps providing very similar combat encounters. As if Heroes of Might and Magic had no magic and all the units on the chess board looked exactly the same. Oop, there goes the peasant stack again, there's a surprise… Maybe my second peasant stack will do something different? Well there's a shocker, they died as well, here's hoping my third peasant stack gets lucky… etc.

It might sound like I'm slagging it off, but I'm really not, I'm just putting into words the things that make it so alien to the kind of game I like to play and why it sits so uncomfortably amongst the RPG community.

It's the ugly cynical bastard brother of Stardew Valley. A specific wing of the RPG fanbase finds itself chronically addicted to it like its crack or something while the majority just look on and say "well, it's not really what I'm here for, but I really cba to have this whole what is an RPG debate for the 1000th time, particularly in this day and age of everything being an RPG so I'll just ignore it and hope the fad passes without infecting everything too much" kind of thing.

The amazing thing is, it is indeed very close to being a truly great game, one that would sit well amongst other great roguelikes, if it just tweaked a few things and changed some mechanics. Like getting rid of the money drain aspect… oh… wait… that's it's primary mechanic…

It could be intereting if it had a quest-based structure instead of a town-based structure, so, unlike Darkest Dungeon, you are forced to keep moving forwards, with no hub to return to. But, alas, the game forces you to keep backtracking and keep walking in the same circles you've already walked over and over. So that the money drain aspect can function…

The game is a really good representative example of why RPGs aren't just about fighting and levelling up, even though RPGs seem to be just about fighting and levelling up. And why roguelikes aren't just about being story-less/lite, even though most roguelikes seem to be story-less/lite. This game seems to have found its place among RPG and roguelike fans without really being either, mostly because it doesn't have anywhere else to go either.

It's a hellish cuckoo gribbling old man management simulator that makes hamster wheel mechanics it's primary design feature.

On the plus side, I can honestly say I've never played anything like it before. But then there's a very good reason for that and I hope I never do again.

Now that's quite a lengthy informative post. Thanks for sharing that @lackblogger;

Makes me think I shouldn't play this game.

Damn my indecisiveness.:(

Watching an end-game battle kind of ruined my desire to keep playing. Might try again some day.

I enjoy the economy system and once you learn it, you will be flowing in cash. I would save up and buy epic armors and weapons for 20k. It can be draining at first but some people play as traders primarily and just move trade goods.

The best advice I can give on making gold is that you work on getting great faction on a large trading city and sell everything there.

As far as keeping your mercenaries alive, it's very hard at the beginning but after 30 days or so, I rarely have anyone die. You just have to know which battles to avoid until your group can handle it. When you lvl a character, there are many skills to chose from to help them survive. It is brutal at lower lvl though.

I've played about 8 hours now with all the current DLCs, and I'm not finding money to be as much of a struggle as it was at launch. There's some loot that sells quite well now, like scales from those new snakes. Where you sell makes a big difference. Find a big trading city, like Hastar said.

You still have to watch your cash, though. Hire cheap guys in the beginning and level them up. The expensive hires don't seem worth it to me in the beginning, especially if you have looted equipment to give them. (Much of their cost seems to be attached to the equipment they start with.) Hang on to looted gear for future hires. A helmet of some kind is required. With the cheap guys, the option to pay to check for any negative traits before hiring, usually a small amount for the cheap guys, has been money well spent in my game. Hiring guys without terrible traits greatly increases their survivability, and they'll be just as tough as the expensive guys with some levels under their belts later on. while costing you less in salaries.

But it's certainly not a full-fledged RPG. It's still a sandbox game. Imagination required.

I've played about 8 hours now with all the current DLCs, and I'm not finding money to be as much of a struggle as it was at launch. There's some loot that sells quite well now, like scales from those new snakes. Where you sell makes a big difference. Find a big trading city, like Hastar said.

You still have to watch your cash, though. Hire cheap guys in the beginning and level them up. The expensive hires don't seem worth it to me in the beginning, especially if you have looted equipment to give them. (Much of their cost seems to be attached to the equipment they start with.) Hang on to looted gear for future hires. A helmet of some kind is required. With the cheap guys, the option to pay to check for any negative traits before hiring, usually a small amount for the cheap guys, has been money well spent in my game. Hiring guys without terrible traits greatly increases their survivability, and they'll be just as tough as the expensive guys with some levels under their belts later on. while costing you less in salaries.

But it's certainly not a full-fledged RPG. It's still a sandbox game. Imagination required.

I'm enjoying it...I don't know why someone needed a page to tell us why it wasn't for him, I totally understand it won't be for everyone.

a few things I am learning:

1 yes, check their stats with the try options....you can get some really good guys who you think are garbage until you see their bonuses.....some expensive guys you think are good also have some negatives hidden...

2. Overwhelm by numbers to start...gives you a bit more options...this may slow my leveling up though. It allows me to rest my wounded.

3. Snakes are hard. Hell most non human enemies are hard.

4. get helmets fast.

Back
Top Bottom